04-24-09, 10:19 AM   #1
bytora
A Fallenroot Satyr
Transparent Combat Icons For review. (beta release)

Hey guys, I think I am close to complete thanks to DGrimes for the help.

Only known issue is that the button is capturing mouse events. So you can't click through it which is how I intend it to be.

This is the customizable pally addon I made but now you can access a config screen via the 3rd party button. In this screen you can customize your own windows. There are only a few parameters required.

SpellName: In the case of a proc you must type it in and click load. Otherwise drag the spell from your spell book onto the icon. The Proc icon will always be a question mark until the first time it proc's. This is because Blizzard has no dynamic way of obtaining that icon via LUA until the proc is found on you or your target.
Range Spell: use this spell for your range indicator. In most cases this is not a problem, your AOE skills however will need to modify this. For example, Consecration has no range requirements and therefore, I use a another spell to calculate range.

Type:
Buff: A skill you use on yourself. The icon is Glowing when you need to rebuff yourself.
Debuff: A debuff you apply to the enemy. The icon is glowing when you need to re-apply to the enemy, Range applies.
Proc: A buff you have no control over. The icon is glowing when the proc is activated.
DeProc: A debuff on your enemy you have no control over. The icon is glowing when it is active on target.
Attack Skill: The icon is glowing when you can attack. Range checking applies, cooldown applies.

In all Icons the countdown causes the icon to either fade out or in based if the skill is in 1.5 seconds of expiring. If the skill is 4 seconds within expiring the cooldown over lay becomes more opaque.

You must first create your own package that you would like to store your icons in. For some reason you need to reload ui. Then you can begin creating your icons.

If I get some positive feedback, then I will post on wowi.

Please report any issues you have to this thread.

Thanks,

-Byt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BytCombatIcons.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	2555  
Attached Files
File Type: zip OOBE_BytCombatIconsV7.zip (5.6 KB, 728 views)

Last edited by bytora : 04-24-09 at 10:05 PM.
04-24-09, 11:17 AM   #2
Venificus
A Fallenroot Satyr
This looks like a good PowerAuras replacement. I couldn't get it to install, though; it seems like some objects are missing from the OOBE. The BytCombatIcons package only has an autoexec in it when the install completes. I get "source file does not exist" when I use the config interface to add a spell.

Try using a Frame instead of a Button if you don't want to capture mouse events. You can also do :SetMouseEnabled(false).
04-24-09, 07:24 PM   #3
bytora
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Venificus View Post
This looks like a good PowerAuras replacement. I couldn't get it to install, though; it seems like some objects are missing from the OOBE. The BytCombatIcons package only has an autoexec in it when the install completes. I get "source file does not exist" when I use the config interface to add a spell.

Try using a Frame instead of a Button if you don't want to capture mouse events. You can also do :SetMouseEnabled(false).
Apparently it happened because I made the package immutable. Apparent that STICKS even during install.

Try v7. it fixes that.

Last edited by bytora : 04-27-09 at 12:11 PM.
04-27-09, 10:32 PM   #4
Morax
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
pretty damn cool =)

Some comments in random order..
  • I wish I could set them to be totally invisible if I wanted to.. Or perhaps change when they became visible.. possibly have this setting allowed to change for each different icon..
  • I had some strange issues with newly created icons to not be allowed to be moved. Lock/unlock desktop seemed to work tho. Perhaps related to cant click below..
  • Can I make it do things like buff "Blessing of *" so it would be happy if I have a blessing on no matter which one?
  • Strange issues started happening after installing this where I clicking on parts of RDX would have no effect. Seemed kind of random. I was messing around with creating new items.
  • When I created my first window I didnt realize it saved. I clicked save about 3 times and ended up with 3 copies.
  • Is it possible (perhaps not) to have an icon that when it appears I can click on it to have it do something? Like concecrate is available.. so I click on the icon and it casts it..
04-28-09, 07:43 AM   #5
bytora
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Morax View Post
[*]I wish I could set them to be totally invisible if I wanted to.. Or perhaps change when they became visible.. possibly have this setting allowed to change for each different icon..
I was debating at some point to make the transparency configurable. I took the route of dirt on a windshield. You can see it if you directly look at it but when you look out yonder you sorta see through it. but I will put this on a TODO list.

In what ways do you want to change when they are visible? Give me an example.

[*]Can I make it do things like buff "Blessing of *" so it would be happy if I have a blessing on no matter which one?
That's another good request. I could easily integrate it with a set and based on that set show appropriately. Damn another TODO.

[*]I had some strange issues with newly created icons to not be allowed to be moved. Lock/unlock desktop seemed to work tho. Perhaps related to cant click below..[*]Strange issues started happening after installing this where I clicking on parts of RDX would have no effect. Seemed kind of random. I was messing around with creating new items.
Damn it was not just me, IT WAS ME! I have the same problem and it is because I am forcing the icon to disable mouse events. Some how RDX is confusing what I am telling it to do.

[*]When I created my first window I didnt realize it saved. I clicked save about 3 times and ended up with 3 copies.
I will put a notification. Thanks for the input.

[*]Is it possible (perhaps not) to have an icon that when it appears I can click on it to have it do something? Like concecrate is available.. so I click on the icon and it casts it..
I designed the icons purely for notification so you can 'smack dab place it in your face' without interfering with your movement and cursor activity. But in fact the buff icons I created I've actually tried clicking on them myself. LOL

It would be cool if I could figure out how to enable disable the hotspot so only when an item is available can it interact with the mouse.

Thanks for the input.
04-28-09, 09:58 PM   #6
Morax
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by bytora View Post
I was debating at some point to make the transparency configurable. I took the route of dirt on a windshield. You can see it if you directly look at it but when you look out yonder you sorta see through it. but I will put this on a TODO list.

In what ways do you want to change when they are visible? Give me an example.
Hope this answer isnt too crazy of an answer.. it is your addon but it is my feedback..

Each icon has various states.. The most common ones I can think of..
In combat --or-- Out of Combat
Ready to cast --or-- on cooldown
Target in range --or-- not in range
Valid Target --or-- Invalid target (like targeting player for an damage spell)
Cooldown almost up.. (# seconds configurable ideally)
Target is casting a spell (perhaps even specific spells)

Now as far as alpha settings go.. It seems to me you could have an icon do the following..
invisible (100% transparent)
barely visible
50% transparent
slightly transparent
visible (0% transparent)
flashing (between two states)

So personally what I would want would be for..
"Blessing of *"..
combat status (ignored)
target status (ignored)
range status (ignored)
buff active - invisible
almost expired buff - slightly transparent
missing the buff - flashing

"Hammer of Judgement"
Out of combat + invalid target = invisible
Out of combat + valid target + out of range + ready to cast = barely visible
valid target + In range + ready to cast = visible
In combat + valid target + in range + ready to cast + target casting = flashing between visible and slightly transparent

"Judgement of *"..
Out of combat + invalid target = invisible
Out of combat + valid target + out of range + ready to cast = barely visible
Out of combat + valid target + In range + ready to cast = visible
In combat + invalid target + On Cooldown = flashing between invisible and slightly transparent
In combat + invalid target + Cooldown almost up = flashing between invisible and slightly transparent
In combat + invalid target + Ready to cast = flashing between slightly transparent and 50%
In combat + Valid Target + In Range + On Cooldown = Barely visible
In combat + Valid Target + In Range + Cooldown almost up = slightly transparent
In combat + Valid Target + In Range + Ready to cast = flashing between visible and slightly transparent
In combat + valid target + Out of Range + Ready to cast = flashing between 50% and slightly transparent

And of course when I decide I want it to do something different I want to be able to edit them.. =)
Originally Posted by bytora View Post

That's another good request. I could easily integrate it with a set and based on that set show appropriately. Damn another TODO.

Damn it was not just me, IT WAS ME! I have the same problem and it is because I am forcing the icon to disable mouse events. Some how RDX is confusing what I am telling it to do.

I will put a notification. Thanks for the input.

I designed the icons purely for notification so you can 'smack dab place it in your face' without interfering with your movement and cursor activity. But in fact the buff icons I created I've actually tried clicking on them myself. LOL

It would be cool if I could figure out how to enable disable the hotspot so only when an item is available can it interact with the mouse.

Thanks for the input.
Now I dont know about making RDX do it..
BUT..
if you look at say the mod named "Autobar" it is able to make buttons appear (during combat even) that are clickable. This makes me think it is not a limitation of wow itself..
05-02-09, 02:57 AM   #7
bytora
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well I found a bug. Depressing. This only effects debuffs and deprocs on targets.

UnitDebuff("target", spellName);

The code I am using is above. After raiding with another lock I found that the above code does not get only my debuffs but in fact everyone's. It returns an index and the only way I can foresee getting my particular debuff/deproc is to iterate through a list of 40.

For experience WOW API coders. Will this list be sure to contain my debuff? I am making an assumption 40 is not a random number but in fact the highest number of raid members and therefore, specifying a specific debuff, the target will never have more than 40 of that debuff since that would require more than 40 raid members of the same class and therefore I am safe?
05-04-09, 04:17 PM   #8
Morax
A Cyclonian
I have been using these for my druid (as resto) and it seems to work fine.
I use it to show me when I have "clearcasting" (omen of clarity proc) and then I know I can waste some mana..

If you need help testing it more let me know..
05-26-09, 02:24 PM   #9
zigmund555
A Cliff Giant
Bytora,

I use these on my hunter and they work nicely. Thank you.
05-26-09, 04:57 PM   #10
zigmund555
A Cliff Giant
Error report using 7.2.1 from SVN

RDX: Window <<unknown>> caused a paint error.table: 0x2d68ff18
Identity: <unknown>
Path: BytCombatIcons:SSting
Error
--------
[string "-- UnitFrame: BytCombatIcons:uf_serpent..."]:125: attempt to index field 'Tex_Icon' (a nil value)

Extended info:
-----------
nil

uf_serpent and SSting are the UF/Window combo I made to track my Serpent Sting debuff on the target. All the cooldown "buttons" don't work in 7.2.1 with this same Tex_Icon error.
05-26-09, 05:14 PM   #11
Dgrimes
A Black Drake

I am guessing it has to do with the new naming scheme for textures and text objects. To fix it you will have to edit the script that is making that problem and change the Tex_ to Texture_
05-26-09, 11:09 PM   #12
zigmund555
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Dgrimes View Post
I am guessing it has to do with the new naming scheme for textures and text objects. To fix it you will have to edit the script that is making that problem and change the Tex_ to Texture_
Fixed on my local copy, thanks.
06-07-09, 07:30 PM   #13
Morax
A Cyclonian
Hey bytora.. any chance you will implement the fix and release a new version?
=)
06-08-09, 12:38 AM   #14
bytora
A Fallenroot Satyr
Hey bytora.. any chance you will implement the fix and release a new version?
=)
Sure thing. I haven't done much work on these unfortunatly cause honestly, I've been raiding to much! LOL..

But I am really glad to see people using them.

Maybe one day I will get motivated again.

This release also includes a fix for the Tex_ as well as the debuff fix that incorrectly will display a debuff status of another raid members buff on the target.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OOBE_BytCombatIcons_30.zip (6.1 KB, 708 views)

Last edited by bytora : 06-08-09 at 12:51 AM.
07-15-09, 01:46 AM   #15
Morax
A Cyclonian
So i decided tonite i really wanted an icon for "Swiftmend" druid ability..
I created a window of each type.. buff, debuff, deproc, proc, and skill..
So i could figure out what worked properly..

Not sure how much you know about swiftmend.. but if i have a certain hot on someone I can swiftmend that person and they will be instantlyhealed based upon the current HOTs.

A Buff window will "appear" if anyone in my raid has the appropriate HOT's on them regardless if swiftmend is available or not..

A DeBuff window will "appear" if I target somone that has the appropriate HOT's on them regardless if swiftmend is available or not..

This is what Skill Window mode seems to do (it being the closest to what I want but still not exactly)
  1. Targetting nobody - stays "ghosted"
  2. Targetting someone - no HOT's - stays "ghosted" regardless of swiftmend CD
  3. Targetting someone - with HOT's - swiftmend avail - appears - shows cooldown on GCD
  4. Targetting someone - with HOT's - swiftmend used - shows CD on swiftmend

I basically want it to be hidden if it is available to me.. and to appear and show the cooldown if I cant cast it currently..
Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Last edited by Morax : 07-15-09 at 02:24 AM.
07-16-09, 12:08 PM   #16
bytora
A Fallenroot Satyr
So i decided tonite i really wanted an icon for "Swiftmend" druid ability..
I created a window of each type.. buff, debuff, deproc, proc, and skill..
So i could figure out what worked properly..

Not sure how much you know about swiftmend.. but if i have a certain hot on someone I can swiftmend that person and they will be instantlyhealed based upon the current HOTs.

A Buff window will "appear" if anyone in my raid has the appropriate HOT's on them regardless if swiftmend is available or not..

A DeBuff window will "appear" if I target somone that has the appropriate HOT's on them regardless if swiftmend is available or not..

This is what Skill Window mode seems to do (it being the closest to what I want but still not exactly)
  1. Targetting nobody - stays "ghosted"
  2. Targetting someone - no HOT's - stays "ghosted" regardless of swiftmend CD
  3. Targetting someone - with HOT's - swiftmend avail - appears - shows cooldown on GCD
  4. Targetting someone - with HOT's - swiftmend used - shows CD on swiftmend

I basically want it to be hidden if it is available to me.. and to appear and show the cooldown if I cant cast it currently..
Any suggestions on how I can do this?
This sounds very similar to my small pain of Clonflag. If my target's immolate is up conflag should be available and if it's not, it should not be available.

However, I have not added an icon for dependencies like swiftmend or conflag.

It is also funny how you plan on using the icon. I've always considered this addon to facilitate wac-a-mole type play. Basically a lit-up icon means hit that button (at least for me) With the exception of a DeProc where when it lights up means, Hit as many buttons while you can and while the deproc lasts.

I will look into it this weekend.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » Transparent Combat Icons For review. (beta release)