03-21-11, 09:40 AM   #21
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
First why do they insist not using the very intuitive method of IceHud in seeing personal and target health, mana and cast, the most important information in the game for a DPS and Tank? Instead, most showing off their UIs, they use pitbull's unintuitive bars that show two flat lines. Pitbull and X-Perl are great for raid, focus and other info but for personal and target info strictly, a HUD is obviously superior. It's simply intuitive.

Second, I forgot.
Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
Several of the posts against me are ridiculous rants. A HUD does not have to be huge, it can be minimized. It doesn't have to be circular, it doesn't have to be square. It can be thin, it can be semi-transparent. Both of your arguments of intrusiveness and size are completely wrong. A thin, small and semi-transparent HUD can show it easily.

Also, a tank must know casting of the target and very often he has to know health. Health is mostly important in ads, but good luck when you think all bosses are Patchwerk.
While you are entitled to hold an uninformed opinion, you are not entitled to make stuff up and call it a valid argument.
03-21-11, 10:39 AM   #22
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Everyone, dial it back a notch. Remember the site rules that we expect you all to abide by. Disagreement is fine as long as it remains civil. Flaming each other is unacceptable.
03-21-11, 01:00 PM   #23
tobindax
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
It's not worth sacrificing the reputation of IceHUD to win an argument. It's one of the most brilliant addons ever created: Its modules feature is perfectly placed and it even gives an opportunity to the user to create a module using the interface itself.

pitbull is one of the few addons that share this intelligent modular design (perhaps not as advanced but still close) and there's no point putting them in a 'fight'.

Last edited by tobindax : 03-21-11 at 01:09 PM.
03-21-11, 01:25 PM   #24
Ulostthegame
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
You continue to go back to Pitbull, where as far I've noticed, the majority of people don't use it- rather oUF layouts or StUF.

I used IceHUD for a very long time on my DK, but then, I found myself rarely looking at the actual hp and rp bars and decided it was no longer serving its intended purpose.

HUDs can and do serve their purpose in certain UIs, but I wouldn't say they're superior over anything else. It's largely a matter of personal taste and how you personally prefer the information to be displayed.
03-21-11, 09:53 PM   #25
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Ulostthegame View Post
You continue to go back to Pitbull, where as far I've noticed, the majority of people don't use it- rather oUF layouts or StUF.
I'm not sure how you'd make this determination at all. Count downloads on the three sites these show up on? Pitbull 4 has a million downloads and gets over a thousand a day on Curse. oUF gets a few hundred, and has tens of thousands. Here oUF has a third of a million, but tens of thousands on its variants. And who knows on WoWAce, since they don't publish. So there's hardly convincing 'no one uses Pitbull anymore' evidence available. Certainly, since oUF allows sub-publishing, it's going to have more titles on the list, and that's totally a different paradigm and can't be compared. But when you add the downloads together, oUF doesn't come out far ahead.

Anyhow, the idea that various measures need to be viewed by a tank is something for its own thread. But it is something to be noted that DPS tends to view things differently than tanks or healers. And I think that's something interesting this thread has revealed.

-Crissa
03-22-11, 04:37 AM   #26
Ulostthegame
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Not in downloads, but in compilations, and almost certainly the UI feedback and screenshot threads.
03-22-11, 05:15 AM   #27
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Ulostthegame View Post
Not in downloads, but in compilations, and almost certainly the UI feedback and screenshot threads.
Well, we have to keep in mind the many different types of addon users. UI Creators / Designers are a little special. oUF for example suits us nicely, as it's efficient and we can customize it through code, thus getting a result perfectly tuned for our particular UI.
03-22-11, 06:23 AM   #28
Dawn
A Molten Giant

I'm pretty sure most people do NOT use oUF, at all. It's going strong here on wowinterface and only because it's the "hometown" of haste + oUF. Talking about unitframes in general with people - like those from my guild full of about 300 players, that play wow for 6 years - never even heard of oUF. That reveals/represents more of what's actually going on in terms of most people's interface/unit frame choice.

This is a damn pity, of course. oUF should be used way more, imo. But people want to "customize". That's basically the main concern of most. oUF means getting into lua a fair bit (even if it's just customizing existing layouts) which equals to mass incompatibility in the first place.

Typical oUF layout comment: Looks nice, BUT how do I change "....."?!?

OT: While a HUD can fit into an UI, I still don't like them. But that's personal preference. First question that comes up in my mind when I see a HUD UI: Why does it have to be so god damn huge? See, it's personal preference again. You can't argue about that.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » I don't get 2 things about people. [Rant a on Addons.]