07-23-07, 04:02 PM   #41
viva
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Auralei
his comp isn't "valuable", it's easy and highly functional, there's a big difference
Mazzle UI may not be valuable to YOU, however it undoubtedly is valuable to others. Mazzle has taken a mishmash of mods and created something seamless, esthetic, and just about perfect. Only in the internet culture is there the concept that someone like Mazzle should put in countless hours on a project, labour over it and perfect it and then give it away free of charge. I have donated money to Mazzle in the past to show my appreciation for his work and I would be happy to pay the small amount he is suggesting to continue to benefit from his expertise in UI design and layout.

It is my opinion that the posters who attempt to belittle the compilation as no big deal and easily reproduceable are either envious of Mazzle's work or have an axe to grind with him personally. Fanboi?? Yep guilty as charged. What have YOU ever done that is of value that someone is a fan of??
07-23-07, 04:20 PM   #42
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
Ok I read this thread now its my turn to speak.

Auriel,

You say you can do everything Mazzle can do with eePanels and other addons correct? Show us. Record some video and copy his UI using your addons. Let the community vote on whose better.

Second,

I do agree with you, plus according to the Blizzard EULA if Mazzle was to charge for addons, Blizzard would be right on his doorstep.

To me it doesn't matter what goes on this thread. When I use Mazzle I replace just about everything except for the discord art and the keybindings. I hate DUF with a passion, so I remove that with and replace it with either Pitbull or X-Perl. Instead of SWStats or Recap I use Violation. As a Warlock I don't even use Mazzle's ShardAce program, I still use Necrosis (the new version came out last week) and Cyro for my Mage. What I'm saying is that Mazzle's addon choice has never been great. I posted a review on my blog about the lack of updates of keybidnings and the adddon choice. I can't post the link here but if you would like to see it send me a PM.
07-23-07, 04:36 PM   #43
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Not sure who Auriel is, but I'll assume it's me.

No, I won't make any videos because I have no way of making any, and I never claimed mine was better, never claimed I'd release it(although I could), never claimed anything other than, I can, you can, everyone can duplicate it. This thread is NOT about me, it's about ethics. Thanks.

I'm a 35 year old stay at home mother, if I can duplicate it, any younger more computer literate person can. I can provide screen shots, however. But, I won't, and the reason I won't is because I don't owe Mazzle, or anyone else screenshots because I don't host it and have no intentions of releasing it. Someone else will do that before I ever decided to, no doubt.
07-23-07, 04:46 PM   #44
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
Ok don't copy Mazzle. Show us how to use eePanels and such. As for software you can download Fraps or Gamecam on a PC or wait till 2.2 comes out and the Mac video capture.

The reason I said what I did is because everybody here loves Mazzle. Nobody like the idea of paying for World of Warcraft, then on top another $10 a month for an addon collection. Between 2 accounts thats $50 a month towards just World of Warcraft when I pay less then $30 a month for both of our accounts.

If Smurfy is ok with charging people, then I suggest he should ask someone at Blizzard. I'm not saying I'm wrong but for your own comfort of mind. If they say no, I would strongly suggest not selling any addons because you know what happens. Just look at the gold selling websites.
07-23-07, 04:52 PM   #45
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Stormlor
Ok don't copy Mazzle. Show us how to use eePanels and such. As for software you can download Fraps or Gamecam on a PC or wait till 2.2 comes out and the Mac video capture.

The reason I said what I did is because everybody here loves Mazzle. Nobody like the idea of paying for World of Warcraft, then on top another $10 a month for an addon collection. Between 2 accounts thats $50 a month towards just World of Warcraft when I pay less then $30 a month for both of our accounts.

If Smurfy is ok with charging people, then I suggest he should ask someone at Blizzard. I'm not saying I'm wrong but for your own comfort of mind. If they say no, I would strongly suggest not selling any addons because you know what happens. Just look at the gold selling websites.

I re thought my last stance on the screens, I'll post some for ya. Just because, it's possible to do.

And as long as Mazzle is not selling other people's code and tries to at least think of the people who can't pay him, I don't care what he does. I only posted here to answer a question.

I'll post the screens here, I'll be editing THIS post to do it. And then, I'm really out.

eePanels. I even moved it so you can see the texture away from the rest.

http://i12.tinypic.com/522k07m.jpg

Hovering yet another frame.
http://i18.tinypic.com/67xos43.jpg

Geist for the context menu.

http://i17.tinypic.com/4zw25tx.jpg

ZMobAdvanced DB for 3D models.

http://i17.tinypic.com/53rbi9k.jpg

DUF, Mazzle's settings(admittedly) I just changed the colors cus...well cus I did.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4qdy1io.jpg

Alright, now, there you go. My UI. Happy? I have NO intentions to release this. So it's a moot point, but since you asked, there. Now, if an old fart like me can do that, certainly someone who's coded before can, and BETTER than I could. It's still IRRELEVANT. The topic was why were people mad.

And for tips on eePanels, go to www.omgphatloots.org. Seito has a tutorial on them. I'm a n00b and get my results by trial and error.

Last edited by Auralei : 07-23-07 at 05:16 PM.
07-23-07, 06:40 PM   #46
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
Wow good job, really I think you did a fantastic job in mimicking Mazzle's UI. So now with those screens in take and with a link to how to do this, does everybody still feel Mazzle should charge for his addons?

I know you did not want to release any screen shots or anything, I want the community to see that Mazzle does have a great interface, but when charging for it to me (and I think the community as well) will see that there is no point when you can honestly re-create your own.

Here is the correct link: http://omgphatloots.org/?p=37
07-23-07, 07:03 PM   #47
Auralei
A Cyclonian

My UI isn't as polished as Mazzle's, of course. I'm an old fart with little experience. There are flaws. Like parenting the target backdrop, which doesn't work for me, it's always on the screen, but I'm ok with my little quirks, other people might not be though. this is why I, personally, don't release comps. Because what's good for me, isn't necessarily good for everyone.

That said, yes, anyone, and I mean anyone, can recreate a UI. I'm about as mediocre as it gets in UI comps.

Anyway, I think it's about time I bow out, for good, I'm tired of saying it.

EDIT: It's late, and I'm tired, forgive me. Thank you for the compliments.

Last edited by Auralei : 07-23-07 at 07:18 PM.
07-23-07, 07:19 PM   #48
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Aww, that is so cute. And flattering, too! You did an uncanny job creating a similar screenshot using the same artwork and the same unit frames, and that's something. (Don't worry about the vast majority of the feature list. Just focus on the layout aspect.)

Anyway, I fully encourage you to put your money, or in this case, effort where your mouth is, and both release and support it for all the people you claim to be championing. Show all the silly naysayers in this thread that the deep sense of philanthropy you espouse does not end when you hit the 'Post' button! Give your opinions some weight by actually contributing something more than critical posts. Show them that you are not just another forum troll, because I don't believe you are. Good luck, dear!
07-23-07, 07:21 PM   #49
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Whatever, Mazzle, I already explained why I did it, and I don't give two squirts what you think. Bite me.
07-23-07, 07:26 PM   #50
Wolvig
Premium Member
Smile

Ummm, so? I happen to like the UI. I happen to also use other add ons. Personally I have no problem with paying a fee for tech support for the UI. I think 10 a month is to much. I also think everyone is wasting alot of time on saying the same thing over and over.You had an opinion, and you have stated it over and over again. If you don't like it, don't use it.If there is a legal issue thats what lawyers are for.If there is a EULA issue, Blizzard will handle it.If an artist does not wish his stuff to be associated with the package Mazzle will remove it.Mazzle has not claimed anyones work,he HAS NOT attacked anyone personally or in general.He asked if there was interest in the possibilty. A simple poll of yes or no.Instead he got attacked, threatened, fussed at and accused. And people wonder why he has taking the stance with people he has. You made the point. And I still say .....so?
Now I have had my chance to do as others have done......blow a bunch of hot air and say nothing.

The above is my opinion only,it does nothing but establish my opinion.
07-23-07, 07:37 PM   #51
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Wow good job, really I think you did a fantastic job in mimicking Mazzle's UI. So now with those screens in take and with a link to how to do this, does everybody still feel Mazzle should charge for his addons?

I know you did not want to release any screen shots or anything, I want the community to see that Mazzle does have a great interface, but when charging for it to me (and I think the community as well) will see that there is no point when you can honestly re-create your own.
I think that's entirely possible. That's why I made that poll. If there are enough people, great, I'll provide what I agreed to, and probably a lot more than I used to. If there aren't enough, c'est la vie; nothing ventured, nothing lost. There isn't much of a downside IMO. At best, it benefits me and the users who like the idea. At worst, it becomes equivalent to my previous plan to just quit WoW.

And, in all seriousness, the screenshots really demonstrate very little. Recreating the layout is fairly trivial, especially if you go and re-use the same art and unit frames. I have used the same basic layout since the very first weekend I worked on this, back when there wasn't a single line of code written. In other words, while it's the type of thing that often gets noticed first, the actual design of the layout is a fairly small component of the very long development time; literally, a day or two of playing around. In fact, I'd go one step further and say you can find better layouts for yourself out there. Every layout makes compromises and has subjective components. I applied a couple principles that I find important and worked from there. People who value other priorities will not like my layout, and justifiably so. Others who do share those priorities, will like it.
07-23-07, 08:53 PM   #52
joive
A Theradrim Guardian

2 Posible Scenarios

How many times Auralei have said that this is his last post?

To resume (because I still like to play WoW and I have a Raid scheduled). This is the possible scenario of the near future.

1. Mazzle will not charge for anything that is not permitted to. He stated clearly that only His work will be available. No stolen code, no need for authors or Blizzard to be angry about anything. He will charge a monthly fee for a membership to have support for his compilation. He can download the add-ons on his computer, configure and test everything. Make the Mazzifier be able to duplicate his compilation on my computer (and on every other Class and resolution). He can help me in the forum with any problem I may have regarding his compilation or a particular add-on.

2. Mazzle will go play Lord of the Rings and Sauron will break his head in two. MazzleUI will die without updates and new features and we will have to beg Auralei to let us know the secrets of his custom compilation. Frodo and Sam will live happily ever after but the MazzleUI users don't.
07-24-07, 12:57 AM   #53
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
Or he could keep it free like he has it now and like every other addon author.
07-24-07, 01:06 AM   #54
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Or he could keep it free like he has it now and like every other addon author.
As far as I know, every other author I know stops working on their stuff when they quit WoW.

I'm providing another alternative, which sounds like a plus to me. You can simply ignore this new option, and it will be equivalent to what you want.
07-24-07, 01:20 AM   #55
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
If I ignore it then I can't download it. Where else am I going to get great keybindings for spells? The offical WoW forums? No way. As I said before I like your compilation. I don't care for DUF as I replace a lot of your addons but where I think you went really well on is your keybindings. If you were to just release Mazzle UI Keybindings as a big PDF and charge money for that I would pay for that in an instant. Joypunks Warrior layout is fantastic, so is your Warlock one as well. I like your Mage one (except Alts being for Frost) but I change that around.

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

As far as I know, every other author I know stops working on their stuff when they quit WoW.

I'm providing another alternative, which sounds like a plus to me. You can simply ignore this new option, and it will be equivalent to what you want.

Last edited by Stormlor : 07-24-07 at 01:27 AM.
07-24-07, 01:31 AM   #56
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Let me rephrase then. You can simply ignore this new option, and it will be equivalent to what happens when others authors quit playing WoW.

If I ignore it then I can't download it. Where else am I going to get great keybindings for spells? The offical WoW forums? No way. As I said before I like your compilation. I don't care for DUF as I replace a lot of your addons but where I think you went really well on is your keybindings. If you were to just release Mazzle UI Keybindings as a big PDF and charge money for that I would pay for that in an instant. Joypunks Warrior layout is fantastic, so is your Warlock one as well. I like your Mage one (except Alts being for Frost) but I change that around.
Well, that's a bit of a surprise. Bindings are one of the items I would have figured to be most disposable, as it's usually a pretty personal thing.
07-24-07, 02:27 AM   #57
Rhothran
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
*sigh* Aurelai... you represent all that's wrong with the addon community.

Mazzle's giving up WoW. That sucks, no doubt. I've been playing WoW since it came out, I've had to completely redo my ui at least 20 times. That takes a day for the initial setup, another day after tweaking, then weeks after continually tweaking, adding on, redoing keybindings, redoing everything... It's an ongoing process, just keeps on going forever, and I'm getting freaking tired of it. 2 weeks ago I stumbled upon MazzleUI. This is the first time I've switched base UI compilations without the old one having been made extinct due to the author quitting WoW. Here's why I did that. The setup. You start it up, it asks you a couple questions, and you're done. Freaking Awesome. I can play, and it's all absolutely perfect. No tweaking required. Buttons/Keybindings are convenient, and customized to the class of my character, heck, even to the skills and talents of my character. Every addon is configured. To this day I still find little new things that just rock my world when doing different things in WoW because something new happens, MazzleUI's taken care of it. Not only does it have the feature to handle it, it's not gonna popup right in the middle of the screen like everything else does by default... no, it's setup to be in the perfect spot. Whether it need to be completely out of the way, or close by for convenient access. It saves me hours upon hours of tweaking, downloading, changing, and fixing while ending up with a better result than I most likely would have even after that tweaking.

Mazzle, you ask whether I would pay $5ish dollars a month to save me roughly 25 hours every month of tweaking for a high quality project that would be kept updated, not discontinued, good support, the latest addons included, and Mazzlegasm's? You bet your sweet little gnome ass I would.
07-24-07, 02:49 AM   #58
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Rhothran
You bet your sweet little gnome ass I would.
Don't let the avatar fool you, Mazz is a guy. And what a guy! Oh wait that's the umbilical cord.

Ah, Simpsons jokes just never get old.
07-24-07, 02:57 AM   #59
Stormlor
A Cyclonian
Well Mazzle your Hunter keybindings taught me how to play a Hunter. Same with a Warlock. Also Joypunks layout for Warriors just plain out rocks. Thats the one thing I love about Mazzle is your keybindings more than anything.

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
Let me rephrase then. You can simply ignore this new option, and it will be equivalent to what happens when others authors quit playing WoW.

Well, that's a bit of a surprise. Bindings are one of the items I would have figured to be most disposable, as it's usually a pretty personal thing.
07-24-07, 07:47 AM   #60
Industrial
A Fallenroot Satyr

Keybindings dont teach you how to play a class. Repetition and smart questions do.

ANyway I'm the only one so far who has given a reply to the original topic. Please lets stay on topic (and read my post and dont ignore it damit :P).

Edit: fyi here

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Something I didn't quite get...