04-14-23, 05:45 PM   #1
glitterguts
A Kobold Labourer
Question about weather reporting (WoW classic WotLK)

Hi all, I want to make an addon that reports which zones are raining and on what layer. It's the only addon I want to make, so I have some questions I need answers to before I even begin learning how to make addons:
1. Is this data possible to access?
2. Would it only be able to pull weather data for the continent I am presently on?
3. Would layer reporting require other people have the same addon?

Thank you!
04-14-23, 10:16 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've never noticed anything regarding that side of the game amongst the API. Took a quick look now in case it was something new .. but as I suspected, nope. There is no functionality code for accessing what is likely a game engine function rather than a gameplay function accessible to the UI API.

However ...

What you might be able to do is use crowd sourcing of information ( ore record it all yourself ) to gather what server, date, time, location, weather ( reported by player ) exists. The player would only need to document the weather with everything else available via the API functions.

After a very extensive period of testing you may find a pattern in the weather system and can then use that pattern to report the weather appropriately.

Whether there is a pattern and not total randomness is hard to say.

If you still wish to try this. I wish you good luck.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Question about weather reporting (WoW classic WotLK)