01-30-23, 01:20 AM   #1
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
a new chat addon

Hi all,

I wrote sometime ago some modifications for the default chat frame and then I manage to make them in an addon.

I called it gmChat and it reuse almost the default blizzard UI code.

It works for me without any problems but I am looking for more bit tests before publish as addon.

if you press the little dot green with right mouse button it show the tabs for windows operations.

it has a web links capture in the edit box thanks to ReUrl addon:
https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...181-ReURL.html

It has no more things
Probably a lot less from the std UI because if you see the screenshots I remove a lot from the default chat windows

Any suggestion/report is welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gmChat-1005-2023012801.zip (4.0 KB, 86 views)
02-02-23, 02:10 AM   #2
ironmoney
A Murloc Raider
i like it. lightweight with no libraries/dependencies.

i miss zork ui and rChat, would be cool if theres an option for channel abbreviation. for example: shows channel number only, no zone name. [guild] as [g], [raid] as [r], etc.

https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...319-rChat.html

maybe have edit box a little higher so theres room if you have tabs enabled too? hehe
02-02-23, 11:24 AM   #3
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi,

thanks so much for your kind review.

Lets begin from the last question:

You can move the position of the textedit frame a little bit up by modifying these rows of the core.lua:

If you put 20 instead of 0 you should be fine (font depending .
I didn't implement in this way when I thought this because when you type something inside the textbox you dont need to check the tabs

About the first question.
Being using the most of blizzard code you can right click on the tabs you want to create/rename/delete and then use the standard tools of the default UI

I am not a so skilled programmer so more code I reuse better is

Please let me know.
02-03-23, 07:36 AM   #4
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

This is looking good! Simple just like my xanChat used to be back in the day. Over the years though i've added stuff along the way. So I totally know what you are going through. Keep up the good work! Keep practicing and reviewing other code, it definitely helps in learning! Remember to keep things the way you like them. Suggestions are nice but the key is to stick to what you need and that it works for you.

After reviewing the code, it's simple and clean. But a few things I'd like to point out

1) You have reference to LibStub("LibAboutPanel") but you aren't actually using the Library. The current code expects that some other addon has it loaded. If you aren't too keen in having an About panel, I don't think that code is necessary. Otherwise, that library is actually extremely tiny and should be okay to add to your addon using LibStub.

2) Be careful when tampering with Alpha layers or Backgrounds on the Chat Windows. It causes Taint errors like crazy. This is because some elements of the Chat Windows are tied to the new Edit Mode option of the Retail servers. Be warned there are some functions and elements of the Chat Frames that will cause taint issues and are not so easy to pinpoint! It was a pain to resolve these on my addon xanChat.

Otherwise this is an extremely simplistic and clean addon. Minimalistic and honestly that's a good thing. Nice work!

P.S: I also noticed in the screenshot you are using my addon BagSync.

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }

Last edited by Xruptor : 02-03-23 at 07:39 AM.
02-03-23, 12:19 PM   #5
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi Xruptor thanks so much for your post.

I am using your Bagsync (cant play without :-) and other addons by you from which I study and copy a lot of code

I consider you, like other people, that help me so much in the forum in all these years, like some kind of tutors or teachers in this, for me so difficult, world of wow addons

To return to the suggestions/fixes

1) The LibStub("LibAboutPanel") is a thing I copy/paste from other addons by me (probably gmFonts or others) that are using it for the option panel. But the other addons are using it .... this little one at the end no.
But the lines remained and I forgot, until today, to removed

2) Do you mean Alpha or Backgroud of the chat panel or also on the frame of the little green dot that I made over it ?
BTW I have removed where I found and now :
Lua Code:
  1. gmChatTabBtn.texture = gmChatTabBtn:CreateTexture(nil)
Lua Code:
  1. gmChatTabBtn.texture:SetColorTexture(0.0, 1.0, 0.0)

and everything seems to works ...

Only few words to finish this post.
I am writing addons because I like the game and to code even if I make a lot of fatigue because I am not a programmer

As you said I really prefer things simple also because I dont have the skill to mantain them complicated
Thanks so much for your kind and precious words. They are really appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gmChat-1005-2023020301.zip (4.1 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by gmarco : 02-03-23 at 12:22 PM.
02-04-23, 01:35 PM   #6
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by gmarco View Post
Hi Xruptor thanks so much for your post.

I am using your Bagsync (cant play without :-) and other addons by you from which I study and copy a lot of code

I consider you, like other people, that help me so much in the forum in all these years, like some kind of tutors or teachers in this, for me so difficult, world of wow addons

To return to the suggestions/fixes

1) The LibStub("LibAboutPanel") is a thing I copy/paste from other addons by me (probably gmFonts or others) that are using it for the option panel. But the other addons are using it .... this little one at the end no.
But the lines remained and I forgot, until today, to removed

2) Do you mean Alpha or Backgroud of the chat panel or also on the frame of the little green dot that I made over it ?
BTW I have removed where I found and now :
Lua Code:
  1. gmChatTabBtn.texture = gmChatTabBtn:CreateTexture(nil)
Lua Code:
  1. gmChatTabBtn.texture:SetColorTexture(0.0, 1.0, 0.0)

and everything seems to works ...

Only few words to finish this post.
I am writing addons because I like the game and to code even if I make a lot of fatigue because I am not a programmer

As you said I really prefer things simple also because I dont have the skill to mantain them complicated
Thanks so much for your kind and precious words. They are really appreciated.

Sure thing any time! You can always message me if you have any questions or what not. In terms of the Alpha I meant the actual Chat Frames themselves. Like ChatFrame1, ChatFrame2, etc.. if you try to alter the Alpha of those frames or any of their children frames, it could possibly lead to taint issues. In addition setting the scaling at times also does this. It's hit or miss really since the addition of the Edit Mode. I believe Blizzard is fixing it, slowly....

P.S: I'm glad you enjoy my addons.

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }
02-04-23, 02:14 AM   #7
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

1005-2023020401
- implement a better (and working probably) options panel
- changed the name of saved vars from GMCHAT to GMCHAT_CFG
- added an option for the textbox distance from the upper chat margin

Clean code here and there ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: zip gmChat-1005-2023020401.zip (4.3 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by gmarco : 02-04-23 at 02:18 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » a new chat addon