04-08-09, 11:01 PM   #1
Rhaethe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Question on layout creation re: ethics?

So, here's my question.

I'd like to work on creating a layout that is similar to the EQ2 UI frame setup (or Oblivion .. I've not decided). Now, I know, when it comes to code, I am far more efficient at adapting already existing code, as opposed to creating fresh new stuffs out of my head.

That being said, I would assume I would need to find a layout that would suit my purposes, and then ask the author if I could adapt their code for my use? And then, if they say "ok", my next question would be concerning the EQ2 (or Oblivion) unit frame graphics ... if I could figure out a way to mimic them, would that infringe upon anything?

This is somewhat I long term project for me, and I'd like to make sure all my ethical ducks were in a row before I start

Last edited by Rhaethe : 04-08-09 at 11:04 PM.
04-09-09, 02:39 AM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
So, here's my question.

I'd like to work on creating a layout that is similar to the EQ2 UI frame setup (or Oblivion .. I've not decided). Now, I know, when it comes to code, I am far more efficient at adapting already existing code, as opposed to creating fresh new stuffs out of my head.

That being said, I would assume I would need to find a layout that would suit my purposes, and then ask the author if I could adapt their code for my use? And then, if they say "ok", my next question would be concerning the EQ2 (or Oblivion) unit frame graphics ... if I could figure out a way to mimic them, would that infringe upon anything?

This is somewhat I long term project for me, and I'd like to make sure all my ethical ducks were in a row before I start
Other games might have (most likely too) have copyrights on their interface.
04-09-09, 08:14 AM   #3
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
By default all work is protected by full copyright. It's not something you have to apply yourself. Most people add licenses to their work to allow people to use it without having to contact the copyright holder.

That being said. I'm not sure how far you can push it when it comes to re-creating art. This is really something you would have to discuss with a lawyer, or anyone with more than common knowledge within the field .
04-09-09, 08:53 AM   #4
Rhaethe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Well, all I'm looking to do as far as recreate is the unit frame style --

http://www.hdimage.org/images/d7aj83...u0_example.jpg

or

http://www.hdimage.org/images/llp2rn..._obexample.jpg

I'm not sure how much of "colored bars with texture and balls on the ends" would be considered copyrightable. But I am not sure. Thus me asking

I don't anticipate redistributing the layout ... just me taking screenies when I'm finished and saying "Look what I did, whee!". But I'd not want to do that and then someone take offense to the look of the unit frames.

Last edited by Rhaethe : 04-09-09 at 08:57 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » Question on layout creation re: ethics?