01-14-08, 09:23 AM   #1
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Two Suggestions for a Quest Log Addon

Will someone please add the following functionality to their quest log addon:

1st) An easy way to bring up the wowhead profile for one or more quests.

My idea is to basically add check boxes at the end of each quest and zone container. You press a button and a dialog box pops up with a bunch of commands that someone can copy and paste in a command line. I played around with FireFox and I noticed that from a command line you can type firefox.exe www.google.com and FireFox will open with a tab, www.google.com. If FireFox is already open, it will open a new tab and go to www.google.com. Well at this point is trivial:

Quest name:

A Rare Bean

Swap out the spaces for ‘+’s and tack on to the front ‘ "c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search= ’ . So the command would look like...

Command:

"c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search=A+Rare+Bean

Paste that in a command line and FireFox will open up to that quests site. It also works with multiple command lines as long as there is a carriage return at the end of each line. So…

Quest Names:

A Rare Bean
A Fate Worse Than Death
A Heap of Ethereals
All Clear!

Commands:

"c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search=A+Rare+Bean
"c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search=A+Fate+Worse+Than+Death
"c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search=A+Heap+of+Ethereals
"c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search=All+Clear!

Copy and paste that in a command line and you will get four brand new tabs in FireFox with their corresponding searches.

2nd) Can someone add the ability to view your parties' quests. Many times when I'm either helping a friend or am being helped myself, it's useful to be able to see the other persons quest log. Obviously those who would want this feature would have to have the same mod.

Thanks for taking the time to consider adding these. I would do it myself but there is already tons of really great quest log addons and I don’t want to spend weeks trying to figure out someone else’s code and then adding my own which would most likely make the mod unstable.

Thanks
01-14-08, 10:13 AM   #2
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
not everyone has firefox, and to assume so would be limiting to any addon. It would in fact be better to simply use the url without the path or program arguments.
01-14-08, 10:17 AM   #3
Korred
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
1st is not possible. Wow cannot interact with external programs. Don't try it, they'll claim you're breaking TOS and ban your account.

2nd, in the mean time you can get PartyToGo and I think a few others, they give you details like progression of quests and, I haven't played with it, but more information possibly what quests they have without you having the same quest.
01-14-08, 10:26 AM   #4
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Korred
1st is not possible. Wow cannot interact with external programs. Don't try it, they'll claim you're breaking TOS and ban your account.
He was suggesting to have something copy and paste able which I believe is not against the TOS, but an even different addon than you've suggested is Lightheaded is already available.
01-14-08, 10:26 AM   #5
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Korred
Thats why I suggested to make use of some kind of dialog box that you can copy the commands from. Then you can minimize wow, open a command prompt, and paste the commands. As long as there is a carriage return (new line, enter, etc., etc) at the end of each command, they each will run one at a time as soon as you paste it. Your not executing anything from wow, just merely copying a bunch of text and pasting it somewhere else. There is nothing stopping you from copy-pasting... as of right now.
01-14-08, 10:31 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just use LightHeaded, linked above already.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-14-08, 10:36 AM   #7
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Seerah
Just use LightHeaded, linked above already.
For those who suggested LightHeaded.... I love LightHeaded; its a great Addon and certainly a step in the direction I'm heading. I just think that in addition to LightHeaded, this can be a powerful tool for saving time. And it really should only take 5 minutes for someone to implement it into there current quest log addon. I mean what are we talking here, a dialog box and some basic text parsing and appending?
01-14-08, 10:59 AM   #8
Beladona
A Molten Giant

just use the link, if you are in fact tied to the idea of doing this. If you have your browser set to default putting the link in the run dialog will have the same effect as putting the link and the browser executable path...
01-14-08, 11:18 AM   #9
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Beladona
just use the link, if you are in fact tied to the idea of doing this. If you have your browser set to default putting the link in the run dialog will have the same effect as putting the link and the browser executable path...
I would still need an easy way to export my quest list.
01-14-08, 12:58 PM   #10
Korred
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
You're already alt tabbing so you might as well have a FF or IE window already open.

Thanks to the wonders of Windows any native window in Windows will be able to open a website. I don't see a reason why you don't just paste the URL there (which as people above have said LightHeaded already does (it even Selects the thing for you so you only have to push Ctrl + C and you're done))
01-14-08, 01:30 PM   #11
Julith
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Until somebody implements this (pretty neat) idea you can use the following makro while the quest you want to look up is opened in you quest dialog:

Code:
/script local eb=DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME.editBox;eb:Show();eb:SetText("http://www.wowhead.com/?search="..string.gsub(GetQuestLogTitle(GetQuestLogSelection())," ","+"))
01-15-08, 08:33 AM   #12
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Julith that is awesome You certainly understand what I'm trying to do. To clear things up, it doesn't matter to me what web browser is used. I presented firefox as an example because I use firefox and tested against it and it does exactly what I want. That is open a new tab for each "c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search=some+quest command. You can't beat that, imaging pasting this block of commands and 25 tabs open up wowhead to each quest in your log.

Last edited by HyperGig : 01-15-08 at 08:47 AM.
01-15-08, 04:57 PM   #13
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by HyperGig
Julith that is awesome You certainly understand what I'm trying to do. To clear things up, it doesn't matter to me what web browser is used. I presented firefox as an example because I use firefox and tested against it and it does exactly what I want. That is open a new tab for each "c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://www.wowhead.com/?search=some+quest command. You can't beat that, imaging pasting this block of commands and 25 tabs open up wowhead to each quest in your log.

And I'm sure thats what Wowhead wants thousands of people opening up 25 tabs each at once on their site :P

If your going to Wowhead to get locations and such for the mobs you need to kill or where to locate items i find Mobmap very useful.

You open up a quest and next to NPC's , Mobs etc is a "?" that you can click. If any info is available it will usually load up your world map with white boxes showing their location .. it even has icons on the world map denoting places on the map where objects of currents quests are.

But I can also see where your going with your idea too ... I just usually hit Wowhead or Thott and search manually if needed.

Last edited by Sepioth : 01-15-08 at 05:02 PM.
01-15-08, 06:52 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
LightHeaded displays all comments from WoWHead for your quests. Most people are nice enough to put coordinates in their comments. LightHeaded also displays coords for the start/end NPCs for the quests. If you use TomTom or Cartographer, you can set waypoints to those coords, to have an arrow point the way. If you use nQuestLog, you can click on a comment with coords in it, to select the coords and automagically set the waypoint. nQuestLog also has MobMap integration.

Anyway.... everyone's different, it just seems like there are easier, pre-existing ways.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-17-08, 09:37 AM   #15
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
First off I want to thank everyone for your help. I learned a ton from this thread and I wouldn't be retuning the favor unless I summarized it for the rest.

Basically the following combination of mods are the perfect package for quest going:
DoubleWide - replaces blz quest log with a light weight, easier to read log.

LightHeaded - in game database of general quest information and comments from our beloved wowhead including locations of 'stuff'.

MobMap - in game database of mob locations. When combined with Lightheaded you basically never need to alt-tab for quest information and location ever again.

Cartographer - A great map mod to boot but needed for its waypoint arrows to make use of all the locations stored in the in game databases from LightHeaded and MobMap.

NQuestLog - replaces your quest tracker with a very handy tracker that is fully integrated with MobMap and LightHeaded databases. Has too many great features to list, just checkout the site. I suggest you turn off outlined text on the minion and drop the quest and zone font down one or two points each, just keep zone font one point higher than quest font all the time.
01-17-08, 10:34 AM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by HyperGig
Cartographer - A great map mod to boot but needed for its waypoint arrows to make use of all the locations stored in the in game databases from LightHeaded and MobMap.
As I mentioned above, you can use TomTom for waypoints if you don't want Cartographer.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Two Suggestions for a Quest Log Addon