12-06-17, 07:36 PM   #21
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
Not really, you just add -console argument to your game settings on battle.net app and "exportInterfaceFiles code" on character select screen. Takes the better part of 30 seconds.

Townlong-Yak is useful though for the diffs, and you can probably just work straight off of it without dumping the files yourself. But dumping it yourself you get more than just the FrameXML too, so there's that.
Every so often, someone mentions "-console" and I try it out. Never got me no console.
Care to point me in the right direction?
12-06-17, 07:45 PM   #22
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Once you're at the player selection screen type ~

See:

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 12-06-17 at 07:48 PM.
12-06-17, 08:12 PM   #23
aallkkaa

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
Once you're at the player selection screen type ~

See:
Ha, I needed this: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Console#Ac...yboard_layouts

BTW, wowwiki, though still appearing frequently in any WoW-related websearch I do, has been unavailable to me for a couple months or more ("Connection Reset").

Anyway, thanks a lot!

EDIT: Ammako was right. "exportInterfaceFiles code" was ridiculously UNpainful! Thanks!

Last edited by aallkkaa : 12-06-17 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Thank you, Ammako!
12-06-17, 08:22 PM   #24
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by aallkkaa View Post
BTW, wowwiki, though still appearing frequently in any WoW-related websearch I do, has been unavailable to me for a couple months or more ("Connection Reset").
WoWWiki has been dying for the last seven years, ever since Wowpedia forked from it in 2010. There was a falling out with Wikia, which hosted WoWWiki from 2007. The admin team (minus a Wikia staff member) along with the majority of active maintainers went to start Wowpedia, which Curse offered to host.

When you search for WoW stuff, try to find the wow.gamepedia.com link in the results. Sometimes it's the top result, sometimes it's a little further down. Clicking that link helps Wowpedia replace WoWWiki in future results for others.
12-06-17, 08:49 PM   #25
aallkkaa

I know, Kanegasi. Fizzlemizz's link was from Wowwiki though - I saw the last part of it and searched for it on wowpedia.
I was just pointing out that, even though Wowpedia was more popular for a long time, Wowwiki was still online and you could follow a link to it. Nowadays, albeit the site still being reachable, the content isn't available anymore.
I apreciate your comment though.

Last edited by aallkkaa : 12-07-17 at 05:02 AM.
12-08-17, 08:39 AM   #26
vis781
A Fallenroot Satyr
This actually makes perfect sense. This is the type of data that can be used to extend the functionality of the environment, which is why it's intentionally left out. For example, you could map buttons to do specific things when targeting specific mobs, instead of having to make the decision of what to cast yourself.

Here's a list of what's available:
https://www.townlong-yak.com/framexm...ronment.lua#74
12/06/17 06:41 PM
Actually this doesn't make any sense, your answer implies the use of further functions to try and develop a cheat for the game. UnitName is a read-only method and therefore not subject to tampering. So, there is no reason why it shouldn't be usable from inside the secure environment.
12-08-17, 01:25 PM   #27
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by vis781 View Post
Actually this doesn't make any sense, your answer implies the use of further functions to try and develop a cheat for the game. UnitName is a read-only method and therefore not subject to tampering. So, there is no reason why it shouldn't be usable from inside the secure environment.
Of course it's read-only, you're not gonna change the name of a unit for everyone through lua.

You can create secure action buttons for using items or casting spells, but if UnitName was readable from within that environment, you could have a secure button for casting spells which could automate selecting between different actions depending on which unit you have targeted, etc.

That's how I understand it, at least.
12-08-17, 02:12 PM   #28
vis781
A Fallenroot Satyr
You're going too far with what I'm saying. It is perfectly acceptable to call a read only method from inside a secure snippet. You are suggesting that it's also possible to cast spells, but you can do that from UnitName alone, you would need additional functions.

There is no reason why blizzard couldn't include a small subset of global functions localised to a table and make that table accessible from a secure snippet. Please read what I have posted and tell me where I suggested making functions that cast spells available or any other methods that could affect gameplay... I didn't.
12-08-17, 02:17 PM   #29
vis781
A Fallenroot Satyr
You're going too far with what I'm saying. It is perfectly acceptable to call a read only method from inside a secure snippet. You are suggesting that it's also possible to cast spells, but you can't do that from UnitName alone, you would need additional functions.

There is no reason why blizzard couldn't include a small subset of global functions localised to a table and make that table accessible from a secure snippet. Please read what I have posted and tell me where I suggested making functions that cast spells available or any other methods that could affect gameplay... I didn't.
12-08-17, 02:45 PM   #30
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
You didn't. The post you quoted did.
12-08-17, 03:36 PM   #31
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

You're going too far with what I'm saying. It is perfectly acceptable to call a read only method from inside a secure snippet. You are suggesting that it's also possible to cast spells, but you can't do that from UnitName alone, you would need additional functions.
If you had access to various API functions that tell you more than a macro can, you would essentially be able to automate your spell rotation, program decision-making from scraping unit information and all sorts of shenanigans. Sure, you'd have to press a button to do it, but just one button.
This is exactly what the restricted environment is designed to prevent.

They do - and it's a very careful selection of functions. Any hole in the system quickly becomes exploited when left open; e.g. how EnemyGrid trivialised multi-dotting when nameplate GUIDs were targetable in the beginning of Legion. More recently, we've seen the introduction of forbidden friendly nameplates since guilds competing for world first exploited the nameplate system to trivialise certain raid encounters.

You seem to be questioning a system you haven't yet fully wrapped your head around.
12-08-17, 03:50 PM   #32
vis781
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'm not MunkDev, from the beginning I have spoken of the method UnitName. That function alone cannot be used to trivialise gameplay. If it can I will hold my hands up and admit I am wrong. If you can provide me with an example of how UnitName could be expoloited then perhaps I could understand better.
12-08-17, 06:17 PM   #33
Kakjens
A Cliff Giant
Something similar to this:
Lua Code:
  1. if UnitName("target") == "somename" then
  2.     CastSpellByname("Polymorph")
  3. else
  4.     if UnitName("target") == "someothername" then
  5.         CastSpellByname("Fire Blast")
  6.     else
  7.         CastSpellByname("Frost Nova")
  8.     end
  9. end

Last edited by Kakjens : 12-08-17 at 06:22 PM.
12-08-17, 06:25 PM   #34
vis781
A Fallenroot Satyr
So CastspellbyName is a function that can be called whilst in combat lockdown from a secure frame, or any other frame for that matter?
12-08-17, 06:54 PM   #35
aallkkaa

So CastspellbyName is a function that can be called whilst in combat lockdown from a secure frame, or any other frame for that matter?
Yes. I believe that was the little piece of information you were missing and everyone else thought you already knew.
12-08-17, 11:30 PM   #36
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
I'm not MunkDev, from the beginning I have spoken of the method UnitName.
When you are quoting someone to reply to what they said, it is generally accepted that your reply is related to what the other poster in question said (even if what the other person said isn't what you said.)
12-09-17, 08:57 AM   #37
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
It would be possible to do, not easily but doable.

You can cast spells by attributes, combine that with secure enter/leave frame that securely sets the attribute on mouse hovers (for setting which spell to cast), then filter it for the UnitName("mouseover"/"target"/"focus") returns, and there you go you got yourself a one-click IWIN button.

http://www.iriel.org/wow/docs/Secure...ide-4.0-r1.pdf

Last edited by Resike : 12-09-17 at 09:01 AM.
12-09-17, 04:50 PM   #38
vis781
A Fallenroot Satyr
How little i knew, I haven't touched on action buttons yet but my immediate thoughts were that the very first functions to be protected and unavailable in combat lockdown to user code would be the spell casting ones. That explains everything.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
12-10-17, 12:34 AM   #39
aallkkaa

Those spellcasting functions allow addons such as Dominos and Bartender4 (amongst many others) to do a complete overhaul of your actions bars.
As a rule of thumb, Blizzard allows you to display any information the game has to give and allows you to implement any action your character can perform IF AND ONLY IF for every one action your code makes your character do, there is one physical action performed by the player (pressing a key, clicking the mouse, moving the mouse*). Preventing automation, as far as Blizzard goes, can be done on either side of the fence: either getting the necessary data and/or performing an action.

* Haven't seen gestures or anything like that be implemented yet; so, there might be limmitations I'm not aware of. You can drag-and-drop frames though.
12-10-17, 10:41 AM   #40
vis781
A Fallenroot Satyr
It's an interesting design choice by Blizzard, another way for them to have implemented this would have simply been to make action button events opaque i.e they can be subscribed/unsubscribed out of combat. Dragging and dropping spell on to an action bar would subscribe the button to that spell. Once in combat, you can't change it, a sort of ( you take in the tools you think you'll need and if it doesn't work you have to come out and try again approach ) That way spell casting functions would be limited to action buttons and they could prevent user code from calling them completely.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Dynamic frame resize, whilst in combat?