09-15-09, 07:57 PM   #1
Holzy
A Murloc Raider

Some advice please

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, if its not let me know and I'll move it. I wanted to know what addons of mine that I have installed right now are bad and ones that are overlapping with each other and whats the better of those, and if i'm missing anything important. Here are all my addons right now

Altoholic
Armory
Atlas
Atlasloot Enhanced
Auctionator
Auctioneer
BetterBlizzOptions
BigWigs Bossmods
Cartographer
Chat Sounds
Chatter
Gatherer
Gatherer Database
MultiAuction
Omen Threat Meter
QuestHelper
Titan Panel
Titan Panel - Gatherer
Titan Panel - Mount
Titan Panel - Professions
TomTom

Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated

Thx

Holzy
09-15-09, 08:05 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Looks like you have a few that do the same thing. All of these are personal choices by the way

Auctionator is very similar to Auctioneer. I only use Auctioneer on my banker and all other toons use Auctionator. Saves a ton of memory.

Armory and Altoholic are very very similar. I just recently switched to using Altoholic from being a long time Armory user and much prefer Altoholic. I've found Altoholic seems to have less overhead and does more in a nicer fashion.

I would recommend looking at Gathermate instead of Gatherer. Love the design of it and the performance of it. Pair it with Routes and to me it blows the doors off Gatherer.

Chat Sounds may not be necessary since Chatter has these options last I knew unless something changed.

Omen is a great Threat displayer. If you want a Damage meter option also, I'd recommend Skada. It basically combines the features of Omen and also the damage meter Recount into a nice package.

Strong personal preference here also is to use Carbonite instead of Questhelper. It just does so much more and it's what I like

That's my 2 cents at least
09-16-09, 06:47 PM   #3
Holzy
A Murloc Raider

Thanks for the fast reply vis, I went with all the things you offered and I love it. Less errors and runs smoother. I have 2 more questions for you thou. First carbonite seems confusing is there a guide or anything to help me get it setup. Second is I want a new ui cause the default one is kinda lame lol. I checked out that nui one in your sig but are there any other one out there like nui? Thanks again

Holzy
09-16-09, 07:04 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Carbonite is definitely a bit confusing to start using right off the bat The best thing I can say is to carefully read the Options. There's alot hidden also. Each frame (Carb Minimap, Quest Tracker, etc etc) has a right click menu with some different options in addition to the standard Options Window.

The Authors have also packaged a nice little file in the Carb addons folder named CarboniteReadme.txt it's chock full of stuff to pore over. And don't forget to take a look at the numerous post's in the Carbonite specific forum section here, many many stickies and alot of help to be had with near any issue.

As to the UI question, there's several compilations that may be similar to the workings of nUI. If it's the layout that doesn't fit your tastes, Id browse into the addon section here at WoWI and look over the Compilations that people have come up with. There's alot of nice work everywhere

The only thing to remember is that most Compilations are a collection of addons that someone found and setup to their (and potentially many others) liking. Through the course of browsing all those compilations, you may find you want to create your own too, which for many people is the best way.

Hope that helps you out a bit
09-16-09, 07:31 PM   #5
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I would also say that atlas and atlasloot are a bit redundant but thats me. Personally I use atlasloot as I find myself more and more not needing maps to instances especially as blizzard seems to be making them more and more less confusing with only one way to go through it instead of several..Granted there are some exceptions but in the most part this is the case. I would also recommend carbonite to quest helper and even go as far as to say if you take that route you dont even need any gatherer addon or map addon such as cartographer as carbonite has that all in a nice neat package.

Also I personally recommend BasicChatMods over Chatter. While chatter like prat has a multitude of options and what not I found myself more and more only using maybe a handful of them and I recently found basicchatmods and switched from prat which I personally prefer to chatter over to basicchatmods. If you chose to use BasicChatMods than hang on to ChatSounds as I dont believe BCM comes with chat noises.

You could take the skada route but personally I prefer Recount and Recount_Threat to skada, I may pay a little more for it in memory usage but recount is so very user friendly I like the way the options are set up and just prefer it as a whole. I did use skada for awhile there though and it is way less memory usage but also found you get less info out of it than you would from recount.

Also I used to be a huge fan of auctioneer but have since switched to auctionater and have had great success in the switch. The reason I found myself even trying new auction type addons is because I found auctioneer was using alot of memory for what I was utilizing it for. Basically if you are the type of person that needs/wants eleventy billion options and plan to utilize them than great auctioneer is for you but I found myself only messing with four or five of the options and not wanting to mess with the rest of them since it seemed like an endless ocean of settings that I would need an instruction manual for. So to make a short story long I use auctionator and that's it, I have no need for two auction addons for different characters just seems like a waste to me really but thats me.

As I have stated multiple times in this post these are personal preferences and experiences with addons and am just informing you of them. Hope they help.

- Winston Churchill
09-16-09, 08:19 PM   #6
Holzy
A Murloc Raider

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be trying new things tonight

any advice on addons for survival hunters, combat/assassin rogues and shadow priest and afflication/destro locks? Yea I have alot if alts lol
09-16-09, 09:05 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Have a look through the class-specific mods: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat39.html

Or any other category that you think you might want something out of. Only you know your needs and your playstyle. If you have a particular need to fill, then ask for a specific addon suggestion.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Some advice please