12-01-14, 05:22 AM   #1
Lombra
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
SavedVariables .bkp files?

Hi,
just something I thought I'd finally ask. Does anyone know about the logic of the .bkp backup files in SavedVariables? Last time I checked some of them (which was some time ago) the data was very old. Is it backed up when the addon version changes, or the WoW client updates or something, or just a big mystery?
12-01-14, 08:32 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

The first time you load an addon, AddonName.lua is created. The next time you load the addon, AddonName.lua is renamed AddonName.bak, and a new AddonName.lua is created. After that, as far as I've ever noticed, the .bak file is never updated again, and subsequent changes only affect the .lua file. Maybe they meant the system to be more useful -- eg. it would be useful to have the .bak file always contain the last saved version, so in case you screwed something up in-game but reloaded the UI before realizing, you could get your last good settings back -- but as it is it seems like just a waste of disk space.

Edit: If you delete all the .bak files then WoW will copy the .lua file to .bak and make a new .lua file, but that's not really useful as a backup strategy, since if you're running some process to copy/delete the .bak files you might as well just copy the .lua files instead.
12-01-14, 08:42 AM   #3
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

I'm not sure if anyone knows the exact logic behind it, but they are occasionally updated—not enough to be useful, however.

Last edited by Talyrius : 12-01-14 at 08:50 AM.
12-01-14, 11:54 AM   #4
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

For me .bak file always updates to the last version of the saved vabs if the original saved vabs are corrupted and get resettet.
12-02-14, 08:51 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I've been able to use the .bak files in the past to recover data.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-02-14, 09:52 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

They do contain old data, but it's very old. For example, my saved variables file for BagBrother (the helper addon that stores bag/bank contents for Bagnon) was last updated December 1st (yesterday, which is when I last logged into the game), but its corresponding .bak file hasn't been updated since October 10th, even though obviously the data has changed many times between then and now.

If something happened to corrupt that Lua file, I'd be better off just starting from scratch, rather than restoring to a 2-month-old backup whose data is no longer remotely correct.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » SavedVariables .bkp files?