11-25-10, 05:22 AM   #1
Sojik
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Should I be concerned about a short freeze?

I'm working on an addon that swaps keybind loadouts when I swap dual specs. It works alright but it does all it's magic on one event (namely ACTIVE_TALENT_GROUP_CHANGED). It has to go through every key on a keyboard and all the modifiers for each key and build a table and read from another table. My concern is that it freezes my game momentarily when I switch specs. Is this something I should be concerned about? Will this crash others likely?
11-25-10, 02:12 PM   #2
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Sojik View Post
I'm working on an addon that swaps keybind loadouts when I swap dual specs. It works alright but it does all it's magic on one event (namely ACTIVE_TALENT_GROUP_CHANGED). It has to go through every key on a keyboard and all the modifiers for each key and build a table and read from another table. My concern is that it freezes my game momentarily when I switch specs. Is this something I should be concerned about? Will this crash others likely?
How momentarily? I get a fairly decent pause when i switch talents with or without addons...

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
11-25-10, 02:26 PM   #3
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

I would deff be interested in the time. You could put a execution timer in and print the results to your chat frame, this way you know exactly how long it is taking.
11-25-10, 06:59 PM   #4
Sojik
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Hm. I'll feel pretty embarrassed if this pause is normal and has nothing to do with my addon since it is only a second at the most. Maybe I just haven't noticed it till now. I swapped spec probably 40 times yesterday testing this thing.

I'll report back.

EDIT: No it's definitely the addon because it doesn't happen after the first respec when I delete my saved variables.

EDIT2: I put time prints at the beginning and end of the function and with all my addons enabled and with just my addon enabled I at most get one second differences. half of the time it doesn't even register a difference. I guess that means it's nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Sojik : 11-25-10 at 07:14 PM.
11-26-10, 12:21 AM   #5
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Sojik View Post
Just ignore that. It really doesn't matter.

In case you are concerned about breaking other addons ... that can't happen. The wow client processes addon code sequential and can't "miss" code due to "freezes".
11-26-10, 10:43 AM   #6
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

I think his concern was more about crashing the game for people with lesser systems. Not likely, although not out of the question. My experience thus far has been that it wont crash because of excess processing, however certain code mistakes will cause a crash or to much taint seems to crash it to.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Should I be concerned about a short freeze?