08-25-09, 02:38 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
BlizzCon 2009 as seen by Cairenn

As always, it's long. You've been warned!

Wednesday, 19 August

After much tearing out of hair, running in circles like a chicken with its head cut off and general freaking out trying to get everything finalized, it's almost time to fly southwest. Get up Tuesday morning, get a few last minute errands done around town then grab a nap through the afternoon until early in the evening, when I get back up around 10pm and do the final few things, make sure everything I need is packed and wait for my taxicab to pick me up for the airport. Taxi arrives at oh-dark-hundred (4:45am local time) on Wednesday to take me to the airport for my 6:55am flight out of Ottawa to Chicago. Arrive in Chicago about 8:10am (local time) and discover that there is a flight to Orange County LA at 8:35am. That sounds SO much better than sitting around in the Chicago airport until 11:45am, so I haul butt from one end of the terminal to the other (thank goodness it was in the same terminal though, otherwise I wouldn't have made it) and get to the boarding desk completely out of breath. Manage to gasp out that I want a stand-by seat if there are any available and the lady behind the desk is like "we're just about to close the doors, give me your boarding pass for your scheduled flight". Hand it over and tell her that I don't care that the only thing she has left is middle seats, just get me on the plane so I'm not stuck sitting here in Chicago for 4 hrs! They literally closed the plane doors right behind me. Whew, made it! I can deal with the middle seat. I don't care. Anything is better than the layover.

Arrive in OC around 10am (local time) and give my ride a call, leave a message on their voice mail telling them that I'm massively early, so they can pick me up whenever they want, but I also understand that they may not be able to pick me up until the previously planned time. Sit around outside the airport in OC enjoying the sunshine, the fact I don't have to worry about missing a connecting flight, etc. Grab a drink, get out my book and settle in to wait. Wait, what? Did I just hear someone call my name? I haven't heard back from my ride and I'm not expecting to see anyone else, who was that? Look around just as I get swooped up into a hug. Eep! Oh! Hey Kaelten! He noticed me sitting there so came over to chat for a bit before catching his shuttle to the hotel. Yay, first hug of the 'con! As it turns out, though, it's actually a good thing that I got there early. Kaelten heads off to the hotel and a while later I get a call from him. Our rooms aren't paid for! Gah?! What's going on there? Kaelten tells me he's looking into it and will call me back to let me know when things are sorted out. Apparently there was a bit of a glitch in the system and a whole bunch of the fansites representatives' rooms didn't get pre-paid. He calls me back to let me know it's all fixed up though so that was nice, that it was all sorted out before I arrived at the hotel myself.

Finally, my ride arrives, at the time we had originally planned and turns out that their cell phone had stopped working that morning, so they never even got my voicemail. Lol. Oh well, it was still a pleasant wait. Get the second big hug of the 'con, load my suitcase into the car and off we go. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my friends? Knowing that I grew up in Nova Scotia, knowing that I absolutely love the ocean, knowing that I have no plans for the afternoon and knowing that even though I've been out here three times previously I've yet to make it to the shore, the first thing that they do is whisk me off to the beach! Yay! I can now very happily say that I've stuck my toes in the Pacific ocean as well as the Atlantic! We got down to the beach and my socks and shoes came off and the legs on my jean got rolled up so fast it would have made people laugh to see it. Into the water I went, quick like an otter, wishing I had brought a bathing suit, or at the very least some quick dry shorts, but I didn't so I contented myself with just wading for a bit. Eventually I came back up on shore and we went wandering along, clambering over rocks, checking out the tide pools, showing me little critters that I never saw on the beaches over on the Atlantic side of the continent. What an absolutely wonderful afternoon! *sighs dreamily*

After a while it's off for some food (all that wonderful fresh salt air and exercise scrambling around on the rocks made me hungry) then time to drop me off at the hotel so I can get checked in, set up and return all the calls I'd been ignoring all afternoon while I was at the beach. Sorry about that guys, but I was taking some 'me' time before the insanity began. Eventually hook up with Dolby, Iriel, Kaelten, Esamynn, MentalPower, Gazmik and Lunessa, wander off to find food (for the rest of them). End up at Tony Roma's for ribs and stuff, I steal a few fries from various plates since I'm not really hungry, having already had supper earlier. Sit around there for a while, then back toward the convention center and our various hotels. Spend some more time chatting some more then folks start heading off for sleep. My head hit the pillow and I was out like someone had turned off my lightswitch.

Thursday

Slept in a bit today, no real wonder after the lack of sleep leading up to the trip. Got up around 9:30-10am and meet up with some folks for a bit before I have to head off to Blizzard for lunch with the UI team then some meetings through the afternoon. As per usual, I've got so many other things scheduled that I don't get to go to the Community Summit stuff with Blizzard, yet again (which reminds me, I still need to email them about the stuff I missed). Spend the afternoon in and around Blizz HQ, having meetings and gathering more hugs. Eventually head back to the convention center and hotel area. Go to stand in line for my entrance badge. Oh, hey, look at that! What line? God I love being press. Wait for everyone else that is getting their tickets then we start walking to the restaurant for the 4th Annual UI Community Dinner.

Dinner was at Bubba Gump's. The menu everyone was treated to is here. Dolby shot a mini-video of everyone that was in attendence which you can check out here. We had 39 people show up out of the 42 that were signed up. We also got to hand out the t-shirts we made up for this year. I think (hope?) everyone got a good chuckle out of them. I know I saw enough of them worn over the next two days. They were definitely good UI geek t-shirts. I'm sure someone out there has shots of them being worn (both front and back). Please post 'em if you've got 'em, folks.

I think everyone had a good time at the dinner. Well, except maybe ckknight, since I think we rather embarrassed him. We knew it was his birthday that weekend, so we made sure that the servers knew it as well. You know how embarrassing it is when a restaurant comes out and sings whatever is their version of the Happy Birthday song, cheering and clapping, etc. And of course whoever else is with you hoots and hollers along with them, right? Well, imagine having yourself pulled up out of your chair, made to stood in front of everyone, and having 38 other people above and beyond the staff all carrying on? Not that I would ever do such a thing as to make sure the restaurant staff knew about it and were encouraged to make sure they made as big a deal out of it as possible though. Of course I wouldn't! Hehehehe, poor ckknight. I think he wanted to sink through the floor. He was a really good sport about it though.

The staff at Bubba Gump's were absolutely fantastic! They treated us great and the food was wonderful. Prices are reasonable. And I have to say, as the organizer, it was so very very nice to call a place up and have it not be some huge hassle trying to book for a large group, nor have them placing unreasonable requirements on the group ($2.5k deposit?! Minimum total group food and beverage orders of $3k?! I don't think so!) I'll wait for feedback from others but I'm certainly inclined to go with that restaurant again next year.

I think everyone pretty much agrees that holding it on the Thursday night instead of the Friday (as in previous years) is a good decision. It was really nice to see the contests for a change! Unless I hear compelling reasons to do otherwise, I'm very much of a mind to make the annual dinner be on the Thursday night from here on out.

After we finally broke up from dinner (the restaurant did not hustle us out the door, which was nice), a large number of us walked back toward the convention center and our hotels together. We ended up drinking at one of the hotel bars for a while before folks went to get some sleep in preparation for BlizzCon the next day.

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-03-09 at 09:18 PM.
08-25-09, 02:39 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Friday

BlizzCon! BlizzCon BlizzCon BlizzCon!!! Wooohoooo! Slept in a bit since I already had my entrance pass and the Opening Ceremonies weren't until 11:30am. Got to the convention center probably somewhere around 10:45, found where a large crew of the UI folks had seats together and settled in to watch the ceremonies. You all know the big announcement that came out of the Opening Ceremonies, so I won't bother going over what has already been discussed in more depth elsewhere. Suffice to say there was a lot of cheering and clapping, as always.

After the Opening Ceremonies most of us (the UI folks) just stayed in our seats and listened to the World of Warcraft Cataclysm Panel. Lots of fun stuff coming. Again, reported on much better by the focused "news" sites, so I won't repeat what you've already read.

After the Cataclysm Panel, I wandered down the street to grab some lunch, then back to the convention center to wander around a bit looking at the various booths that were set up, waiting for the panel with The Guild. It was hilarious, as one would expect. I'm sure a lot of you have seen the youtube clip of one particular snippet from the panel. *snicker* Poor Felicia.

Some more wandering around talking to people, just enjoying the energy in the convention then back to the main hall for the contests. I swear, Jay Mohr is getting better every single year he hosts these contests. Was lots of fun. The contests did seem to kinda go on forever this year though. After the contests a slew of us headed down toward the Garden Walk and Disney area, trying to figure out where we wanted to get some food. Snarfed down some calories (omnomnomnom) then back to the hotels where some of us had a couple drinks in one of the bars before heading off for sleep.

Saturday

Got up a bit earlier than yesterday. As strange as it may sound, I didn't actually get to sit in on a single panel today! I spent the entire day coordinating people that were trying to find each other, running from one hall to another, up to the press room, back down to the main floor, networking, making connections, renewing acquaintances and generally schmoozing. Aka, a normal day for me at the 'con.

I know I grabbed lunch in there at some point, not even sure what it was though. I think maybe it was a sub sandwich? Heh, obviously wasn't anything memorable though.

The highlight, of course, was the concert at the end of the day (at least it was for me). First we were treated to TAFKAL70ETC, then Ozzy! *screams* I had SO much fun at the concert. Hehehe, one of the security guards came and told me to get down off my chair that I was dancing on. I did …. for a bit. *dws* I couldn't hear for quite some time after the concert and I definitely couldn't talk. I screamed my throat raw. I was so partying hard. I've no doubt that there are pictures out there somewhere of me dancing throughout the concert. I am actually rather surprised they haven't surfaced already. *grin*

After the concert, everyone kinda scattered. Had to get some more hugs from and say g'bye to people that weren't going to be able to stay to go to Disney with us on Sunday though, which was sad. I finally found some folks though and we ended up having an impromptu party up in Dolby's hotelroom. Ordered in pizza, someone brought some booze, Dolby hooked up Rock Band to the flat screen in his room, I grabbed a couple bags of chips and poof, instant party, just add people. Much fun was had by all. Eventually though, the night had to come to an end (hotel staff were going around breaking up all the parties! Boo! *grin*). Off for sleep.

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-03-09 at 09:12 PM.
08-25-09, 02:39 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Sunday

Shortly after 10am some of us met up at the fountain in front of the convention center arena and we headed over to Disney for the day. Lots of rides, munchies, geek talk, fun and general mayhem.

The most notable thing for me out of Sunday, though, had to have been late Sunday night. I'd said g'night to everyone, collected the last of my hugs and gone back to get packed up and ready to fly home Monday morning. Part way through my packing I decide I need something to drink, but I don't have any change for the vending machine so I need to go down to the lobby to get them to break a bill for me. So I'm standing there waiting for the elevator. And waiting. And waiting. And getting very annoyed by how long this is taking. Where is that elevator? Oh wait, there's a ding! Head toward the door that opened and arrive just in time to see a guy pulling his pants back up from where he'd been mooning the floor! He sees me in the mirror and freaks! I'm telling you, I have never seen someone pull up their pants and RUN away from somewhere as fast as that guy did. He went racing out of the elevator and down the hallway so fast. It was hilarious. Equally hilarious were his two buddies who were inside the elevator just about wetting themselves from laughing so hard. I'm laughing too, as I get on the elevator with them. Didn't take a genius to figure out why the elevator had taken so long to arrive though. Step on and every single floor's button was lit up. They had been stopping at every floor and mooning it. What a riot though. It was so funny, as much by how embarrassed he was when he got caught as anything. Definitely an amusing end to the trip. ROFL!

Monday

Not much to say about Monday. Get up, snag some breakfast (YUMMY Belgian Waffle with fresh local berries and a delicious caramel maple syrup), check out of the hotel and off to the airport for my flight at noon. Trip home was pretty uneventful, although late arriving.

But wait, BlizzCon isn't done with me yet, even though it's over. Spend most of Tuesday asleep, catching up on all the sleep I didn't get while I was there. Wednesday I wake up to my throat killing me again. But why is it sore this long after the concert? And, oh, wait a minute here. My head hurts. A lot. So much pressure. And my nose is running like a faucet. And I'm trying to cough up my lungs. Aw damnit! I caught the dreaded 'con cold'. Ugh.

Here it is a week later and I'm finally well enough to post. Sorry it took so long guys, but this cold really kicked my @ss.

So, where are the pictures folks? I know a number of you had cameras and were snapping away. Let's see 'em!

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-03-09 at 09:28 PM.
08-25-09, 02:44 PM   #4
mikma
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Awesome!
08-25-09, 02:59 PM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Here is a picture of Cairenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picofcairenn.jpg
Views:	1699
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	3221  
08-25-09, 03:05 PM   #6
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Hey Cair, nice new haircut you got
08-25-09, 03:09 PM   #7
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where's her ears? I thought they'd poke through her hair like in her Avatar.
08-25-09, 03:17 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
hehe - you guys can tell she's flippin' him off, too, right?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-25-09, 03:47 PM   #9
Raxnor
A Cliff Giant

Am i missing something here?, because i can't see anything on cairenn's post besides the (Placeholder),(and again) and (one last time)
08-25-09, 03:48 PM   #10
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by Raxnor View Post
Am i missing something here?, because i can't see anything on cairenn's post besides the (Placeholder),(and again) and (one last time)
She hasn't started I guess :P
08-25-09, 03:50 PM   #11
Raxnor
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
She hasn't started I guess :P
Wow Cralor that was a quick anwser LOL
08-25-09, 04:06 PM   #12
mikma
A Cyclonian

Exclamation

She's gathering evidence. Was prolly too drunk (along with other admins) to remember anything!
08-25-09, 04:18 PM   #13
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Wow ... I see Blizzcon was very eventful ..
08-25-09, 04:29 PM   #14
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
heheheh

I was just letting you guys know that there will be a thread coming. I am still trying to get caught up on everything I missed over the last 6 days, including sleep. But there will be a post this year.
08-25-09, 04:38 PM   #15
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
A little camera shy aren't we ...

Well with this pic and the only other one I know of I can now make my 3D rendering .. muahahahahha ...

But I will give you two for managing to keep your picture off the internet after all these years
08-25-09, 04:47 PM   #16
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Eh? I have a pic of Cairenn, Dolby, and Seerah from last BlizzCon - all in the same pic!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-25-09, 04:51 PM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You gonna share? I wanna seeeee!
08-25-09, 04:56 PM   #18
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm of the opinion that decapitation would be most uncomfortable...

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-25-09, 05:26 PM   #19
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Only for a second.
08-25-09, 05:35 PM   #20
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
I'm of the opinion that decapitation would be most uncomfortable...
Aye, or as Algalon would put it :

Your actions are illogical. All possible results for this discussion have been calculated. The Community will receive Cairenn's message regardless of outcome.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » BlizzCon 2009 as seen by Cairenn