08-28-09, 01:08 AM   #1
Blapz
A Murloc Raider
[Search] A Good DPS DK UI?

I've been going through many UI's lately, but they all seem to be 1680x1050 or whatever, but I need a light weight DPS Death Knight Raid UI. Frames and such, anyone got any recomendations? For 1280x1024

Last edited by Blapz : 08-28-09 at 01:18 AM.
10-28-09, 02:02 PM   #2
GHB1394
A Kobold Labourer
i kni know

yes, i have came across the same complications.. i am not looking for the same ui that you are, but i am browsing through ui's and i open all the ones i like into seperate tabs and i read about all the addons in the package and i have found quite a few that i really love..

The thing i am having a problem with, is that over 98% of the ui's i have come across are scaled so large that i cannot get them to fit my monitor, so i even try adjusting my settings to fit what the scaling is of the ui, and my monitor just isn't big enough to meet the res that most of the ui's are made of.. so i just post coments saying how much i like their packages, and if anything ever comes around in a different resolution that i will be keeping an eye out for it..

i could use my tv as a monitor, but i bought a plasma tv, so it will burn.. if i would have been thinking about gaming when i bought the television, i would have bought LCD and then i would have 52' of pure gaming
10-28-09, 02:06 PM   #3
zero-kill
A Firelord

As for the plasma burn, it will only burn if you plan on just sitting there doing nothing (albeit if you are 80, lol) otherwise it won't have any problems, just turn down the settings to match your computer performance. For UI, if you really like something just ask the dev if they can scale it down for you, most will at least respond with a yes or no.
10-30-09, 01:52 AM   #4
bibtryism
Banned
Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
As for the plasma burn, it will only burn if you plan on just sitting there doing nothing (albeit if you are 80, lol) otherwise it won't have any problems, just turn down the settings to match your computer performance. For UI, if you really like something just ask the dev if they can scale it down for you, most will at least respond with a yes or no.
The thing i am having a problem with, is that over 98% of the ui's i have come across are scaled so large that i cannot get them to fit my monitor, so i even try adjusting my settings to fit what the scaling is of the ui, and my monitor just isn't big enough to meet the res that most of the ui's are made of.. so i just post coments saying how much i like their packages, and if anything ever comes around in a different resolution that i will be keeping an eye out for it..
10-30-09, 03:59 AM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Caution, semi long post!

Likely your best bet is to build your own UI. In the long, building your own UI is the best solution as you have a UI tailored just for you!

First of all, ask yourself, you want minimal or fancy? Then, lots of info or just a bit? Artwork or simple? Don't worry about memory unless you have an ancient system. Don't use Dalaran as an metric of lagginess or performance as almost everyone (including those with a real beast of a system) has issues with Dalaran.

For a DK, target Unit Frames, Rune Display, CD Display, Spell timers, Proc Alert, and Action Bars

Unit Frames: In my opinion, simple Unit Frames are the best. oUF with the oUF_Niyava layout is a good simple unit frames. Other excellent options included Shadow Unit Frames and Stuf (though Stuf "out of the box" is a bit overpowering, you will want to clear tweak to taste).

Rune Display: Having a good rune display is critical to see what Runes are going to pop up next and when Death Runes are going proc. Many UF mods include a simple bar based Rune Display. Other choices include a "Guitar Hero" style of Rune Display (Runes slide/acroos down the screen until their CD is finished). My personal favorite is Deathknight.info Runes (found over at Curse), however I am a bit biased since the DKI community (of which I am a member) put it together.

CD Display: DKs (like most classes) need to know when CDs are about to finish. There are numerous mods for this job, my favorite is Forte Xorcist. I don't reccomend the use of OmniCC for DKs are you have many numbers on your action bars when Runes are CDs. It can be a bit overwhelming.

Spell Timer: For diseases. Since many of your abilities grant bonus damage if Frost Fever or Blood Plague is active on your target, it's important to know when to reapply those diseases. A Spell Timer will time those diseases along with your crowd control and other "spells". I love the timer function of Forte Xorcist for this job, however ClassTimers, DKI Diseases and other timers work nicely too.

Proc alert: For displaying when procs like Killing Machine, Rime, Desecration, Blade Barrier, etc are active. Knowing when a proc is active can mean the difference between living and dying (Blade Barrier) or destroying your opponent (procs that guarantee [i]X[/] ability will crit). I love PowerAuras for this job. It takes some time to set up, however it's one of my stalwarts.

Action Bars: Many DKs can get by with the default Action Bars, however some DKs want their bars to change depending on what presence they are in. Myself, I just like to hide unnecessary bars until I need them. Action Bar mods will generally allow for the above and more. In addition many Action Bar mods will allow for easy keybinding of abilities (Blizzard's keybind menu stinks in comparison). My personal favorite is Macaroon! however Dominos is a very close second.

In building your UI, take a sheet of paper and mock up where you want your elements. Most players I know (including myself) prefer to move their Unit Frames into the bottom third of their screen near the action bars. This keeps the UFs close the action so they don't have glance into the corners.

In general keep combat oriented mods (such as Unit Frames, proc alerts and spell timers) close to each other and non combat oriented mods in the corner/top of the screen (to keep them from interfering with boss killing or ganking).

Anyway, that is my two Eurocent's worth.
10-31-09, 05:18 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I use nUI. It's a good all around stand-alone UI that works with every WoW class there is, and fits any screen resolution. nUI pretty much has everything from the previous post already built in, and it's not a compilation.

Last edited by Petrah : 10-31-09 at 05:21 AM.
11-12-09, 10:19 PM   #7
Cziiki
A Kobold Labourer
Ui

Personally i just use Tukui with a modded rune frame (i think magic Runes) and it seems to work just fine.
12-14-09, 07:43 PM   #8
dr_AllCOM3
A Cyclonian

This: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-DocsDKUI.html
03-31-10, 04:01 AM   #9
Vallanrus
A Defias Bandit
I had the same problems as the original poster, it is hard to find a good clean UI for dks to use and feel comfortable with... I entered up engineering an compilation using SpartanUI, its not pretty nor is it lightweight but it gets the job done for me anyway.

You can check it out if you want: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...llanrusUI.html

But I won't exactly say use it, more along the lines of test it out and see how it feels for you personally as a player. :P Lol
03-31-10, 08:13 AM   #10
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I think there's an UI here tailored for DK's and Rogues but it's not all that minimalistic so you have to tweak it a bit more:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...v1.5.html#info

i personally loved that one apart from not having 12 button action bars ^^
03-31-10, 10:12 AM   #11
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

To the guy with the plasma TV.

Try to get an UI or make one that is as minimalistic as possible with hide able elements like minimap, buttons(mouseover) and unitframes only beeing showed under certain circumstances like combat, targeting, casting, etc.

Then no elements will be static on your screen and nothing will burn.

I have my UI like this and I love it Not using plasma though.

oUF_Fader for unitframe hiding. Most actionbar addons have mouseover possibilities. And It should not be to hard to find a minimap that can hide.
I use Pminimap and created an onClick script to hide the minimap and show a button to get it back once it's hidden.

The only static thing you would have is your aura buff. Get used to turning it off I guess.

Last edited by sacrife : 03-31-10 at 10:17 AM.
07-14-10, 07:40 PM   #12
Squidbeard
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

One of my alts is a Frost DPS DK. After many months of searching for a good UI ive stuck with Spartan UI, Rune Watch and Power Auras Classic for the majority of it.

Good resource for all things DK at the moment is http://www.skeletonjack.com/

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » [Search] A Good DPS DK UI?