01-22-13, 06:50 PM   #1
whatever&ever
A Defias Bandit
Help with dual spec switching

hello everyone!

i used to LOVE macaroon. my needs are pretty simple. i started using it for multi-boxing, but i only play single now.

what i want is to be able to have different keybinding for different specs AND different toons. how do i do this? i set up a standard bar set. i filled out the abilities and macros, and then i added my keybindings. i enabled the dual spec switching. when i switch specs it clears all the content from the bar slots but it KEEPS the keybindings. this is awful for me. macaroon didn't do this for me. what am i missing or doing wrong?

ALSO when i log on a different character THEY HAVE THESE SAME EMPTY BARS WITH THE SAME KEYBINDING.

i very much do NOT want to have to keep the same keybinding across all my toons. setting up my bars is like arranging my books or cds or bonsai plants, or it used to be, please help.

POTENTIAL ISSUE:
it says that i can shift click for the main menu. when i shift click it brings up a space that i assume should be populated with options and such. that space is VOID. when i shift click it brings up a BIG BLANK BLACK square-ish patch on my screen and that is it, that IS IT. i assume that this is supposed to be the background of the options and tasks i can see?

did i get a corrupt download or something? do i need to redownload? suggestions or options for me?
01-22-13, 07:35 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ion is just not finished. It does not yet support profiles, or even different keybinds/layouts for different characters. It also has a lot of unfinished areas in the config UI. At this point it's unclear when (or even if) Maul will ever have time to finish the addon.

If you need these features, you'll have to do what many other people (myself included) have already done and switch to another addon. I've been using Bartender4, and find it sufficient for my needs, though I don't use more macros or longer macros than fit in the Blizzard macro UI, and I don't use hundreds of buttons, so your mileage may vary.
01-22-13, 11:53 PM   #3
whatever&ever
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for the info! I thought that macaroon was dead but that ion was alive.

Can you help me with bartender 4 then? I also have that enabled but i also can't get it to have different keybinding for different profiles. I have a profile windwalker and one that is brewmaster. i populated the windwalker one and keybound it... then when i switch to brewmaster it has me repopulate the slots (like it should) but it KEEPS the old keybinding. I cleared the keybinding and checked back to the windwalker profile and sure enough it had cleared that keybinding as well.

Anyway to get unique and/or different keybinding for each profile?
01-23-13, 06:54 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Macaroon is actually dead, as it was not updated for the API changes in WoW 5.0.

Maul started writing Ion from scratch with the intent that it would replace Macaroon, but ended up not having time to finish it, and based on the lack of updates, still doesn't have time to work on it. He's posted a couple of "sorry I've been really busy, hopefully I'll have time soon" type things but either he's still really busy, or just lost interest in the project. I wish he'd just updated Macaroon for the API changes instead, but c'est la vie.

As for the Bartender issue, I believe it stores keybindings along with the Blizzard ones, so checking the "per character keybinds" in the Blizzard keybinding UI might solve the issue. If not -- I'm not sure if Blizzard supports separate keybinds per spec -- you might need to use an addon like RespecBindSaver, which will work with the Blizzard keybinds, and all addons that store "real" bindings (which are saved between sessions in the bindings-cache.wtf file) instead of "override" bindings (which are not saved between sessions and must be re-applied by the addon at login; this is the method Ion uses).
01-24-13, 10:24 AM   #5
kuracisto
A Kobold Labourer
a possible solution

I ran into this problem, and though I do want all my action bar keybindings and locations the same for uniformity (I'm lazy ) there is a "hack" that'll make it work your way.

In your Wow\Interface\AddOns\Ion\ directory there is a Table of Contents file called Ion.toc, the first few lines of it look like this:
## Interface: 50100
## Title: Ion
## Notes: Ion: Action Bar & Object Mananger
## Author: Connor Chenoweth (aka Maul)
## Version: Hydrogen-5
## DefaultState: enabled
## SavedVariables: IonGDB, IonItemCache
## SavedVariablesPerCharacter: IonCDB, IonSpec, IonGDB, IonItemCache

Change the last two lines shown to look like this:
## SavedVariables:
## SavedVariablesPerCharacter: IonCDB, IonSpec, IonGDB, IonItemCache, IonGDB, IonItemCache

This essentially makes all ion data character specific. nothing will be shared between characters.

Hope that might help,
Kuracisto@EmeraldDream
01-24-13, 03:24 PM   #6
Dwargh
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by kuracisto View Post
I ran into this problem, and though I do want all my action bar keybindings and locations the same for uniformity (I'm lazy ) there is a "hack" that'll make it work your way.

In your Wow\Interface\AddOns\Ion\ directory there is a Table of Contents file called Ion.toc, the first few lines of it look like this:
## Interface: 50100
## Title: Ion
## Notes: Ion: Action Bar & Object Mananger
## Author: Connor Chenoweth (aka Maul)
## Version: Hydrogen-5
## DefaultState: enabled

Change the last two lines shown to look like this:
## SavedVariables:
## SavedVariablesPerCharacter: IonCDB, IonSpec, IonGDB, IonItemCache, IonGDB, IonItemCache

This essentially makes all ion data character specific. nothing will be shared between characters.

Hope that might help,
Kuracisto@EmeraldDream
Think you mean from:
## SavedVariablesPerCharacter: IonCDB, IonSpec

to:
## SavedVariables:
01-24-13, 09:52 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by kuracisto View Post
Yes, but that doesn't solve the OP's problem of wanting to switch things when switching specs. Unfortunately, the root of the problem is simply that Ion is not finished, and the only solution to that problem is for Maul (or someone else) to finish writing the addon.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Ion Engines, Engage! » Help with dual spec switching