02-17-09, 04:20 AM   #1
udiya
A Murloc Raider
mage spellsteal addon ?

Hello,

XPerl has a very nice feature for mages. It highlights the spells that you can steal, if available.
Is there any standalone addon for this ? How can I find out if the target has any spells on it that I can steal ?
An addon for people that do not want to use XPerl ?

Thank in advance.
03-26-09, 09:06 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Did you ever find anything for this ?

If not, I just took a look at the function UnitDebuff and one of the items it can return is whether it is stealable.

From that I can assume that you can write a simple addon that simply shows up any buffs the target may have that you can steal.

if player == mage and target has buff that can be stolen then alert player.

Handy thing is I have a mage so if one doesn't exist I may just whip one up

I'm sure amongst the many Debuff and Buff addons out there that there is one that covers this in a general way.
05-17-09, 08:44 AM   #3
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by jdaniel View Post
Hello,

XPerl has a very nice feature for mages. It highlights the spells that you can steal, if available.
Is there any standalone addon for this ? How can I find out if the target has any spells on it that I can steal ?

Thank in advance.
There is no better fix for a lack of knowledge about anything than research. By that, I mean if a Mage wants to know what he can steal without using add-on hax , looking them up is the best thing to do. If another class wants to know which of their buffs can be Spellstolen, research is perfect.

Xperl is what I use, and I've not heard of anything else that does the job you've mentioned. As a Mage, I don't think I'd really want to use anything else anyways!

05-17-09, 10:09 AM   #4
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Hello,

Thank in advance.
The highlighting is actually a feature in the default UI and I find that many unitframe addons neglect to "mirror" the functionality in this regard. Since I am currently playing a mage quite a bit, I still use the default UI just because of this. There are just too many cool spells to steal to miss

As to solve your problem, find a unit frame addon you like and request the author add it. Or, you can use a buff/debuff addon such as Satrina's and if it does not have the ability to filter stealable spells, ask that it be added as a filter =)

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
05-17-09, 10:25 AM   #5
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
this would work i guess

Code:
local frame = CreateFrame("Frame")
local function ScanStealable(self, event, unit, ...)
	if unit == "target" then
		for i = 1, MAX_TARGET_BUFFS do
			name, rank, icon, count, debuffType, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, isStealable = UnitAura("target", i, "HELPFUL")
			if not name then return end
			if isStealable then
				--do whatever you want to do, for example:
			--[[ if name == "Innervate" or name == "LifeBloom" then
					--print("Steal "..name.." quick!") 
				end --]]
			end
		end
	end
end
frame:RegisterEvent("UNIT_AURA")
frame:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED")
frame:SetScript("OnEvent", ScanStealable)
Depending on what you want to do, replace the commented bit. It's completely drycoded so apologies if it doesn't work :P
06-08-09, 11:59 AM   #6
udiya
A Murloc Raider
Thanks all for replying. I am still looking for an addon to do this. I am talking to a few addon authors...

This is probably a stupid question but what should I do with the code ?
06-08-09, 12:04 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Thanks all for replying. I am still looking for an addon to do this. I am talking to a few addon authors...

This is probably a stupid question but what should I do with the code ?
Point the addon authors to this posting to give them a starting point. They will know what to do with it.

Its actually the meat to the functionality you want. It just needs fleshing out with other files necessary for it to run within wow. Anyone that has looked at writing addons should be able to build it into an addon.

Let us know if you get it sorted out or whether you still need one written and your addon contacts can't do it.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
06-10-09, 11:01 PM   #8
udiya
A Murloc Raider
Good news, I found one. It seems that Satrina Buff Frames can show this.
Quote from authors comment:
Try the s filter. I keep forgetting to document it.
I tried last night to configure it with no luck. Will try again later today and post the result.
06-11-09, 09:00 AM   #9
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

There is an option named Only Show Stealable Buffs in the aura plugin for my AzCastBar addon. I don't play a mage myself, but I just put it in, as it was so easy to do.
06-11-09, 09:34 AM   #10
Satrina
A Cyclonian
I've had reports that the spellsteal filter seems to be broken, will be looking at it this weekend.
06-11-09, 10:46 AM   #11
udiya
A Murloc Raider
Thanks again to all of you. I tried Satrina, it's really interesting. Will wait for the weekend to see if it works. If you need somebody to test it...
I will try also AzCastBar.

Thanks.
09-19-09, 10:17 AM   #12
chemchris
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
There is no better fix for a lack of knowledge about anything than research. By that, I mean if a Mage wants to know what he can steal without using add-on hax , looking them up is the best thing to do. If another class wants to know which of their buffs can be Spellstolen, research is perfect.

Xperl is what I use, and I've not heard of anything else that does the job you've mentioned. As a Mage, I don't think I'd really want to use anything else anyways!
Thanks, great answer. Wowhead says there are 20,571 NPCs in wow- lets assume 30% of them are friendly. That leaves about 14,000 different mobs to memorize and whether they have spells that can be stolen. Congratulations on accomplishing that- its quite a feat.

Please don't post unless you have an answer- your smug response doesn't help anyone.

PS- I didn't know Add-ons were 'hax'. Better alert Blizzard because it appears the hackers also posted as a blue with guidelines and support for creating add-ons. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...02301679&sid=1

**Update Mage Nuggets reports to do this, I'm installing it now.

Last edited by chemchris : 09-19-09 at 10:22 AM.
09-19-09, 11:04 AM   #13
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by chemchris View Post
Thanks, great answer. Wowhead says there are 20,571 NPCs in wow- lets assume 30% of them are friendly. That leaves about 14,000 different mobs to memorize and whether they have spells that can be stolen. Congratulations on accomplishing that- its quite a feat.

Please don't post unless you have an answer- your smug response doesn't help anyone.

PS- I didn't know Add-ons were 'hax'. Better alert Blizzard because it appears the hackers also posted as a blue with guidelines and support for creating add-ons. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...02301679&sid=1
While I agree, expecting ANYONE to be able to memorize every steal-able spell seems a bit much, for some people it might be an option, and to make it more clear, he was not expecting anything out of anyone, simply discussing the way (it would seem) that he does it.

You being a jackass just because you didn't like his suggestion, or disagree with it, is in no way helpful; and moreover considering a comparison of helpful and enlightening posts made by you (so far, 0 of 1) and then total post count at the time of this writing standing at 266 by us2006027321, I would say you don't have a lot of room to speak out against someone who, more times than not from what I have witnessed, actually TRIES to be helpful and friendly, instead of rude and crass for the sole purpose of being, rude and crass.

I say this only for the sake of arguing the point, if you register and post, your first post on this forum, simply to be mean to someone whom you don't know and simply disagree with, perhaps you will find the Yahoo! Forums or MySpace a bit more up your alley.

While I may not participate as much as I would like to on the forums, there is a general code of conduct and underlying respect that dwell here between the user-base and the authors, and we should all fight very hard to keep it that way.

That being said, I have a max level mage myself and (currently) am using PitBull4 beta for my unit frames, I'll likely be making this suggestion to the mod authors as is seems stupendous, and I never thought about it, or even realized it was part of the default UI, it would be nice to know these things and thanks jdaniel for the post!
09-19-09, 12:26 PM   #14
udiya
A Murloc Raider
I am using Satrina. It works, you can customise everything you need in buffs/debuffs. This works for me really good.
09-19-09, 03:07 PM   #15
Darxon
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
My main is a mage and i use :
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...SpellSteal.htm
10-12-09, 12:55 PM   #16
PigtailsofDoom
A Cyclonian

I tried out Mage Nuggets, and I quite like it. The other features of it are a bit redundant for me as I already use Class Timers and quite like it for procs, but the SS icon popping up and telling you what the spell is to steal is quite useful all on its own and definitely worth the download.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » mage spellsteal addon ?