03-13-11, 12:42 AM   #1
macaran
Premium Member
Premium Member
Gathermate2

As seeing as how carbonite has not been updated with anywhere near the number of nodes that Gathermate2 has, is there anything I can edit in lua to make Gathermate2 icons show up on the carbonite map?

Thanks,
MacAran

03-13-11, 11:13 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you already have the Blizzard minimap and Carbonites minimized map merged, depending (maybe) on your minimized map settings, they should be showing up on the minimized map now. For the Carbonite maximized map, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do.

That being said: I use a map addon called Mapster with the Blizzard maps to bring back a little bit of the functionality of the (now dead) addon Cartographer. I also use GatherMate2 and the available GatherMate2_Data addons. I have absolutely no idea why, but occasionally I will get the GM2 nodes showing up on the Carbonite maximized map (while hovering the node, GM2's tool tips are red but Carbonite's are white and GM2's icons do not scale with the map). Not with any consistency, you understand, but occasionally. What really baffles me is that I have the minimap set to hide when I maximize the Carbonite map (the Blizz minimap would only take up half of the maximized map anyway, so....).

The other thing that I would like to say is this: If I remember correctly, Carbonite "learns" where you've found a node, so, find a node and it is automatically put in the database. While it is true that you still would have no idea where that node was until you found it (and I have found several nodes that are not in the GM2 data, either), you were still able to find, and harvest it "old school" (you actually SAW it (OMG!!!)) or semi-new school (blinking node indicator on your map without any other indication on the map that it was there). One important thing to remember, though: ANY addon you use for gathering professions can only give you approximate locations where something has been gathered before. ALL gather-able nodes are a "random occurrence". Yes, they may re-appear in the same basic location, but not on a preset time table. IE: Ever try to harvest something only to find out it's inside a tree (or rock, or at an inaccessible location) and you can't gather it? Irritating, ain't it. Random locations and times. Of course, the flip side of that is to be able to harvest the same node 2,3 and even 4 times without ever moving from the spot. Rare, but it does happen.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-13-11 at 11:22 AM.

03-26-11, 05:16 PM   #3
kaisoul
A Fallenroot Satyr

carbonite has a setting that will import the data from blizzards main map when carbonite map is maximized. That is what pulls the gathermate2 data from you blizzard map onto carbonite maximized map.

Would be nice though if there was a fix or addon that could bridge the gap between the two addons.

03-27-11, 01:38 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Perhaps, but why, then, does it only do it occasionally and not all the time? That's the thing I don't understand.

04-10-11, 03:35 PM   #5
crayo
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by macaran View Post
As seeing as how carbonite has not been updated with anywhere near the number of nodes that Gathermate2 has, is there anything I can edit in lua to make Gathermate2 icons show up on the carbonite map?

Thanks,
MacAran
I have been able to get GatherMate2 nodes to show on the Carbonite map, but it only works if I follow a particular procedure.

I have "M" bound to the Carbonite map and "Alt-M" bound to the Blizzard map. If I open the Blizzard map with "Alt-M" it shows the GatherMate2 nodes on the Blizzard map. If I then close the Blizzard map and open the Carbonite map the nodes show on the Carbonite map.

This is great until I move to another zone. The Carbonite map will still show the nodes/locations from the old zone on the new zone map. I have to press "Alt-M" again to open the Blizzard map for the new zone. That updates things and now the Carbonite map shows the correct nodes.

To boil it down: bind the default Blizzard map in the Carbonite settings and then open the Blizzard map each time you change zones, then the Carbonite map will show the GatherMate2 nodes. (At least, it works for me. Your mileage may vary.)

04-10-11, 05:33 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The last few times I opened the Blizz map, and then switched to the Carb map, I noticed this same thing happening. Although, there are times that all I have to do is maximize the Carbonite map, and there are the GM2 nodes on it. Without ever opening the Blizz World Map, I mean.

Personally, I really wouldn't like to see the GM2 gather icons displayed on the Carbonite map, unless they could be made to scale with Carbonites' own gather icons when zooming in the map. Something I highly doubt will ever happen.

I used to think that the Blizz map had better intel (not better graphics, but better info as far as certain locations) on it, but I finally came to realized that there are a LOT of things on the Blizz map that just are not at the right locations. I don't mean in relation to the Carb map, either (although, the Carb map usually has the correct location), I mean that they are just at the wrong place on the map. In my opinion that's just not a good thing considering that Blizzard made all of the maps that are currently being used in the game (including the graphics that Carbonite uses for their map), with, perhaps, the exception being some of the dungeon and instance maps (but I'm not too sure about that one).

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-10-11 at 05:39 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Gathermate2