04-01-10, 11:19 PM   #1
zigmund555
A Cliff Giant
Periodic repaint vs. multiplexer

This bit still confuses me.

What's the difference? When should you use one over the other?
04-02-10, 01:59 AM   #2
MNKyDeth
A Theradrim Guardian
If I remember correctly...

"Periodic repaint" = Refreshes the windows all the time. Even if they don't need to be refreshed. = High cpu usage.

"Multiplexer Parameters" = Slows down the refresh of a window to a specific interval. = very light cpu usage.

None specified, no Periodic repaint or Multiplexer = default blizz refresh rate of the windows. normal cpu usage.

So, if you are having low frames per second because of mods multiplexer parameters can help give you some frames back to help smooth out the game.

Don't specify any and you will have windows refresh like the default blizzard frames and your frame rate should be the same as using the blizz windows. periodic repaint uses a lot of cpu so really should only be used for strong (fast) machines. I have my cpu OC'd to 3.8ghz and use periodic repaint on my raid frames as I am a healer and I have not seen much if any slowdowns except in naxx upstairs on the dragon boss when he goes up into the air and does the blizzard. Other than that it feels smooth and responsive.

Edit for second part the posters question.

I use periodic repaint for anything that I need to know now, asap. If the tank takes damage I want as little delay as possible to know how low he is. This is where my raid frames come into play since I play a druid I hot the entire raid and if someone drops a large chunk of health I can get a nourish or swiftmend to them asap. Usually before other healers using healbot, grid or vuhdo.

My pet frame when I am balance or when on my alt lock doesn't need to update all the time for me, I just need to know a rough estimate of his health so a multiplexer works well here for me.

Think of your target frame you use when you have an enemy targeted and you are attacking them. How important is it to know exactly how much health they have. Are you happy with what blizz gives ya? Do you want to know what they have at every second or do you want just a rough estimate? Each repaint feature in openrdx out of the three choices that are available are there to suite your needs. Each persons design and setup will be the best for them but maybe not for you when it comes to how things are repainted on the screen. So each window frame that you have you need to decide how important it is to know when and how fast the specific information is to you.

Obviously using a multiplexer on a 25 or 40 man raid will greatly reduce the cpu usage, where as periodic repaint will greatly increase cpu usage compared to the default blizzard repaint. The more things getting repainted the more cpu it will use.

Last edited by MNKyDeth : 04-02-10 at 12:51 PM.
04-02-10, 07:47 AM   #3
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Thanks for the answer

11-26-10, 09:48 AM   #4
Fhait
A Cliff Giant
Blizzard Repaint Interval

Does anybody know what the Blizz default repaint interval is ?

I notice the RDX periodic repaint defaults to 0.1 seconds, and that's usually where I leave it.

= F

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » Periodic repaint vs. multiplexer