05-09-09, 08:18 AM   #81
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
Doesn't matter, sending mail is not secure and auto-accepting the dialog isn't either.
Bah. I'd already learned not to reply when waking up, now I need to not reply when passing out.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-09-09, 08:47 AM   #82
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
Someone could even create a fake login screen once entering the gameworld, and then send your username/pass to a character via the whisper system, people need to be weary of these things.
not possible anymore to change login UI at all since 2.0 I think
05-09-09, 10:58 AM   #83
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
not possible anymore to change login UI at all since 2.0 I think
the idea would be to fake a disconnect and then have a login ui running in game.

and bandwidth IS an issue -- it's a cost.
05-09-09, 11:49 AM   #84
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Someone could even create a fake login screen once entering the gameworld, and then send your username/pass to a character via the whisper system, people need to be weary of these things.
... wat?

That's just silly. You have to duplicate the entire login screen animation/sound/graphics pretty closely, not to mention you can't even duplicate the character selection screen so you would pretty much have to crash the game to make it look real, which means you're going to have to either randomly "fake" the login screen to avoid it showing every time and people becoming suspicious. The odds of a simple login widget saying you've been disconnected reenter your account information actually working are really low as well.

That's not even including the fact that you would need a character on the realm in the first place.
05-09-09, 02:08 PM   #85
Slakah
A Molten Giant

... wat?

That's just silly. You have to duplicate the entire login screen animation/sound/graphics pretty closely, not to mention you can't even duplicate the character selection screen so you would pretty much have to crash the game to make it look real, which means you're going to have to either randomly "fake" the login screen to avoid it showing every time and people becoming suspicious. The odds of a simple login widget saying you've been disconnected reenter your account information actually working are really low as well.

That's not even including the fact that you would need a character on the realm in the first place.
Interface/GLUES/MODELS/UI_MainMenu_Northrend/UI_MainMenu_Northrend.M2
Sound/Music/GlueScreenMusic/WotLK_main_title.mp3
although I'm not certain you will be able to access these files ingame, but it would be fairly easy to copy them over to your addon file.

As for people getting suspicious you could make it show it will only show the dummy screen once, and then once the person has entered their info and sent it over the hidden addon com channel, then have it spam you with "Unable to Connect" messages.

and finally just because it's not 100% efficient doesn't mean people wont do it.

but anyway I'm very off-topic.
05-09-09, 03:31 PM   #86
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
although I'm not certain you will be able to access these files ingame, but it would be fairly easy to copy them over to your addon file.

As for people getting suspicious you could make it show it will only show the dummy screen once, and then once the person has entered their info and sent it over the hidden addon com channel, then have it spam you with "Unable to Connect" messages.

and finally just because it's not 100% efficient doesn't mean people wont do it.

but anyway I'm very off-topic.
You can't, try it for yourself but calling SetModel on a ModelFFX causes the game to crash, regardless of the file being located in Interface/Glues or Interface/AddOns. It's basically the equivalent of telling somebody that they will be killed by a lightning strike, while it's possible, the odds of it happening are so horribly low it's not something you're going to think about.
05-09-09, 03:52 PM   #87
mikma
A Cyclonian

http://www.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000442
http://www.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000443
http://eu.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=221003132
05-09-09, 04:33 PM   #88
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

You can fake a login screen. It may not fool everyone, but it will fool some people and most anyone could be fooled if it was done cleverly enough and the victim was tired or for whatever other reason "just not thinking," as happens to everyone once in a while.

World of World of Warcraft Addon
05-09-09, 04:40 PM   #89
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
... wat?

you could most definitely do something that would catch enough people to make it worthwhile. i could see a bunch of different schemes working, but i don't think it's appropriate to outline how to hack accounts. at least, not in a public forum.
05-09-09, 04:43 PM   #90
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
but i don't think it's appropriate to outline how to hack accounts. at least, not in a public forum.
^ that ^
05-09-09, 04:58 PM   #91
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

you could most definitely do something that would catch enough people to make it worthwhile. i could see a bunch of different schemes working, but i don't think it's appropriate to outline how to hack accounts. at least, not in a public forum.
Alright alright alright alright guys stop.

My point wasn't HOW to do a malicous addon in game (that operates perfectly fine within the sandbox).

It was just that it's possible to do so but i haven't seen a single EXAMPLE of such in the wild.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-09-09, 05:37 PM   #92
bknab
An Aku'mai Servant
Wow, I just thought people would get a laugh out of the WM FAQ, maybe have a good debate when some fanboys found their way over.

This has spun a little out of control, not to mention way off-topic.
05-09-09, 07:26 PM   #93
alphaomega16
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
People wouldnt like WM so much if there was an alternative that didnt mean making accounts on several different sites.

WM has been out for a while and still does miles better what any other updater out there does.

atm the old updater you had to enter a number from the address after finding it on the site for every single addon you had and the curse client just sucks.

People like easily accessible programs that arnt much of a hassle and if current sites cant provide it then someone else will.

Sure then went about it wrong and made a lot of traffic for a day but WM was a far more efficient updater than anything out there at the moment.

I lose track of a lot of addons that need updating cause its a hassle checking if they have been updated every single day.

Most of the time I just used WM to see if there was an update then downloaded it manually but now I cant even do that.
05-09-09, 07:56 PM   #94
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
alphaomega16: See honem's sig.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-09-09, 07:56 PM   #95
Spookie455
Illiterate Spectre

Premium Member
Originally Posted by alphaomega16 View Post
Sure then went about it wrong and made a lot of traffic for a day
For a day? I don't think you understand the severity of the pressure they were putting on WoWI.
05-09-09, 08:00 PM   #96
bknab
An Aku'mai Servant
I lose track of a lot of addons that need updating cause its a hassle checking if they have been updated every single day.
This is one of the misconceptions that was brought up by a few people earlier in the thread, namely Lykofos, if I recall. There is absolutely no need to update your AddOns every day.

Why would you update if it's working properly and you have no errors?

I have more AddOns than I wish to count, and I never found it a hassle to update manually. There are a few AddOns I have to pick up from curse and I might check on those every few weeks. Everything else, I have in my favorites here at WoWI.

I like to browse the forums and keep an eye out for cool new AddOns so I'm here fairly often, but if I see one of my favorites has an update, I read the change log, and more often than not it's a minor update that doesn't affect me. Every now and then there might be a new major version or a brand new feature I have been looking forward to, so I snatch it.

There really isn't any reason that updating AddOns should be a hassle for anybody.
05-09-09, 09:10 PM   #97
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by bknab View Post
This is one of the misconceptions that was brought up by a few people earlier in the thread, namely Lykofos, if I recall. There is absolutely no need to update your AddOns every day.

Why would you update if it's working properly and you have no errors?

new features, compatibility with other versions of the same mod.

it's not like wm was using the wowace svn to grab every single update. given the drag it is to actually upload a new mod manually, i kind of doubt people bother posting new versions of their mods unless they're significantly different.

now maybe there's some significant overhead in checking to see if there's a new version, but that would only be if curse and wowi were trying to avoid deeplinking by shuffling things around so that you had to do some scraping to find stuff. (this is where the wowm claim that they proposed a system to avoid extra traffic rings true to me -- basically saying throw all the mods in one spot so we don't have to churn pages just to tell somebody they're up to date). in a purely co-operative environment, all the wm client would need to do is check with the wm server for the which versions were the latest and where they were located. the server would be notified on new files being uploaded (a la the way wowace pushes to curse). not saying wowi or curse should have felt obliged to play ball or anything, but just that the update traffic doesn't HAVE to be insane.
05-09-09, 09:59 PM   #98
bknab
An Aku'mai Servant
i kind of doubt people bother posting new versions of their mods unless they're significantly different.
That may be true, but why would I grab a new version if it was a localization update for Chinese, which I don't even speak?

Or for a more specific example, I use pMinimap. Here are P3lim's last two updates:

Code:
30100.97:
- Added option to change the number of decimals shown in coords

30100.95:
- Added a custom license
I like how my coordinates are displayed currently, and I have no need to update just for a new license. I'm not editing his code and/or redistributing his AddOn so there is no real reason for me to worry.
05-09-09, 09:59 PM   #99
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

People wouldnt like WM so much if there was an alternative that didnt mean making accounts on several different sites.

WM has been out for a while and still does miles better what any other updater out there does.

atm the old updater you had to enter a number from the address after finding it on the site for every single addon you had and the curse client just sucks.

People like easily accessible programs that arnt much of a hassle and if current sites cant provide it then someone else will.

Sure then went about it wrong and made a lot of traffic for a day but WM was a far more efficient updater than anything out there at the moment.

Most of the time I just used WM to see if there was an update then downloaded it manually but now I cant even do that.
I wouldnt call what they do efficient. Ever since Arrowmaster has shown that their client would alter TOC numbers and mess around in the config.wtf (yes this is a fact not to mention that in that file is your account name. Im not saying this was used maliciously but messing around in that file should be a HUGE no-no) so the alterations wouldnt throw errors visibly id say thats very inefficient for the user. Mind you this was also without any notification to the users as well. For them however it worked very well. I dont have the direct links from the blizzard forums for it but they are in numerous threads on this site which i highly encourage you to look in to for yourself.

Its just one in a long series of shady actions action taken by the WM team. Which makes me wonder in the face of such proof why people even trust what they have to say, let alone trust the application on their computers. Its a sad day when the potential for loss of account security is trumped by and argued for in the name of laziness.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-09-09, 10:11 PM   #100
bknab
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Its a sad day when the potential for loss of account security is trumped by and argued for in the name of laziness.
^ This! ^

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WowMatrix Responds!