08-02-10, 07:26 AM   #21
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I get http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1326829

running on w7 home premium edition.

playing at 1680 x 1050 res. Multisampling set to 1. V-sync off.

Video options:
EVERYTHING is at max and EVERYTHING is enabled except for Full screen Glow effect (I can't enable it because I use a 'mod' that adds WAY more bloom to the game. Having this mod and Full screen glow effect enabled is just overkill.)

I generally never lag. Ofcourse a few seconds when HS'ing to Dala, and it takes a few seconds before the characters actually pop up. But in raiding, running through Dala, ... I don't have any issues at all.
08-02-10, 07:48 AM   #22
Nuckin
is laughing at you

Here is the fact with Intel vs AMD

AMD advertises their speeds based on their ability to run Integer based operations, which makes their advertised speed the BEST without overclocking

Intel advertises their speeds based on their ability to run FLOATING POINT based operations, which makes their advertised speed the WORST possible speed

If you have the cash to spring for a i5/i7 or Core 2 Quad, do it, otherwise save the cash and get a Phenom II X4
08-02-10, 08:46 AM   #23
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Rather than a bunch of links from HardOCP ( you can dig those up yourself ) here's a gaming-CPU analysis for July which considers price-point and performance -- be sure to insert your own prejudices, of course.

It's hard to consider WoW in terms of 'cpu intensive gaming' (it's 32bit, runs on one core, etc) it still is worth looking at more robust hardware just terms of longevity. For WoW, though, you're probably more likely to get choked on RAM (aka why-I-hate-Dalaran), rendering, or throughput even on a somewhat dated processor.

Dual-core will do ya plenty in terms of WoW, though quad-core gives you nice options if you -- man, I hope it's legal to say this -- play something beyond WoW (some of them will happily use 2 or 3 cores).

Whatever you get, for the love of God, make sure it's balanced: you'll generally have a better system you're happier with using mediocre but balanced parts than some great stuff and some 'well, I put all my money into the other parts' parts.
08-02-10, 09:44 AM   #24
AlleyKat
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

CPU - Intel better
Video - AMD better (nVidia`s Fermi totaly sucks)
08-02-10, 07:24 PM   #25
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by AlleyKat View Post
CPU - Intel better
Opinions.. arseholes.. etc..
08-02-10, 11:46 PM   #26
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I doubt this is still true, but back in the day, if you took the heatsink off of a running computer playing a video game, and you used an Intel processor, it would just freeze up. If you did the same with an AMD, it would catch on fire. I believe this was because of the lack of features the AMD had to prevent this. It is most likely not a problem now, but funny nonetheless.

Anyway, both AMD and Intel processors are good. Intel, like already posted, markets their speeds with Floating Point. I believe AMD is there to keep Intel on the ball.

I am currently using AMD, so I'm not saying it is bad, but I've got an Intel ready to be put together.
08-03-10, 05:56 AM   #27
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
I doubt this is still true, but back in the day, if you took the heatsink off of a running computer playing a video game, and you used an Intel processor, it would just freeze up. If you did the same with an AMD, it would catch on fire. I believe this was because of the lack of features the AMD had to prevent this. It is most likely not a problem now, but funny nonetheless.

Anyway, both AMD and Intel processors are good. Intel, like already posted, markets their speeds with Floating Point. I believe AMD is there to keep Intel on the ball.

I am currently using AMD, so I'm not saying it is bad, but I've got an Intel ready to be put together.
Well, this was the original Athlon. There was no automatic underclocking on any AMD cpu up to this point, was deemed an unnecessary expenditure. However, the good folks at Toms Hardware pointed out the need for such a feature and AMD put it in all chips made after that. And, cralor, if 2002 is your idea of "back in the day" .... damn I'm old...
08-03-10, 10:50 AM   #28
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Well.. ... my friend showed me that video just recently. That was funny, though.

I guess it wasn't that long ago, but the way technology moves, I think it's "way back when".
08-03-10, 11:39 AM   #29
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by break19 View Post
Originally Posted by AlleyKat View Post
CPU - Intel better
Opinions.. arseholes.. etc..
More like religious wars.
08-03-10, 12:01 PM   #30
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
I doubt this is still true, but back in the day, if you took the heatsink off of a running computer playing a video game, and you used an Intel processor, it would just freeze up. If you did the same with an AMD, it would catch on fire.
You forgot the fun Intel processor that couldn't do math, heatsink or no.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » AMD or Intel?