02-14-10, 12:49 PM   #1921
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

First attempt at a (minimalistic) healing UI. Would like some constructive criticism. Unit frames are oUF with oUF_Kamii and oUF_Freebgrid.

02-14-10, 04:50 PM   #1922
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Xhelius View Post
Little something I've been working on. Not done yet but the basic UF's laid out. Visible mods are Stuf, KgPanels, BT4, XPBarNone, TomTom. Not pixel perfect. I'm horrible at lining things up. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

CC welcome.
Originally Posted by Aerials View Post
this is my modified LeveeUI:
I notice that in both UIs, your own names are visible on your player frames. I find that it is redundant information, as you should know what character you're playing.

Originally Posted by haylie View Post
First attempt at a (minimalistic) healing UI. Would like some constructive criticism. Unit frames are oUF with oUF_Kamii and oUF_Freebgrid.
Spells like Inner Fire could be bound to a key instead of your action bar. For example, I have IF bound to ] on my priest, as I never need to know when it is off cooldown or that I have enough mana to cast it or that I am within range to cast it (information all provided by being on the action bar).

Things like mounts and Resurrection can't be used in combat, so you could probably do with putting them on a bar that is visible only when you're out of combat. You're probably not going to be drinking melon juice in combat or enchanting/disenchanting, so you could probably put those on the same out-of-combat bar. Doing this would let you move your action bars down.

02-14-10, 05:16 PM   #1923
Aerials
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
I notice that in both UIs, your own names are visible on your player frames. I find that it is redundant information, as you should know what character you're playing.

Spells like Inner Fire could be bound to a key instead of your action bar. For example, I have IF bound to ] on my priest, as I never need to know when it is off cooldown or that I have enough mana to cast it or that I am within range to cast it (information all provided by being on the action bar).

Things like mounts and Resurrection can't be used in combat, so you could probably do with putting them on a bar that is visible only when you're out of combat. You're probably not going to be drinking melon juice in combat or enchanting/disenchanting, so you could probably put those on the same out-of-combat bar. Doing this would let you move your action bars down.
.... i never asked for advice pertaining to how i have the ui set up. most custom frames i've ever seen used have player name, and i like it there because with so many characters over so many servers i do actually forget at times which one i'm logged onto :P. yes, it's incredibly easy to disable it, i'm using stuf unit frames and know where the option is. but i don't want to. also, i've de'd things many times in combat, along with milling. also, back in the day i used to shadowmeld and drink really fast in combat (that was bound to be nerfed), and it was nice to see visually where i'd need to click (don't have water key bound) so that i could do it fast. i've actually never been a huge fan of anything being hidden when in or out of combat (you may have noticed recount and omen active although i'm not in combat in the screen shot, omen is entirely useless out of combat, and recount is probably best to have hidden in combat). for spells such as inner fire, etc... i like to be able to click it if i want to :P, i use a ton of key binds as is, and don't want any more, so some things are not bound although there's no huge reason for them to not be. really, i don't even need key binds for most of them though because i use clique and have plenty buttons on my mouse that aren't used.

however, nothing you mentioned is necessary, just preferences.

in other words, different people like different things or we would have only one ui for world of warcraft. it's a good thing.

02-14-10, 06:12 PM   #1924
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
.... i never asked for advice pertaining to how i have the ui set up.
You didn't, but I was mentioning it in response to the UI posted before yours (that my advice also applies to), and just lumped your post in. Is your player name really necessary though? In your UI, you can see that your character is a paladin, as the mana bar is pink. Even if you're colorblind, there is the auras bar. I would think that is enough information to go by because that information (class) tells you that you're not going to be looking for Steady Shot, Arcane Blast, or whatever.

however, nothing you mentioned is necessary, just preferences.

in other words, different people like different things or we would have only one ui for world of warcraft. it's a good thing.
Nothing that I mentioned besides the character name part was directed towards you. Things like binding spells to keys and hiding clutter (in this case, anything that is non-essential to combat) in combat is a great way to reduce screen space used for a minimalist UI. Minimalist UIs aren't called minimalist because it sounds cool.

02-14-10, 09:03 PM   #1925
Aerials
You didn't, but I was mentioning it in response to the UI posted before yours (that my advice also applies to), and just lumped your post in. Is your player name really necessary though? In your UI, you can see that your character is a paladin, as the mana bar is pink. Even if you're colorblind, there is the auras bar. I would think that is enough information to go by because that information (class) tells you that you're not going to be looking for Steady Shot, Arcane Blast, or whatever.

Nothing that I mentioned besides the character name part was directed towards you. Things like binding spells to keys and hiding clutter (in this case, anything that is non-essential to combat) in combat is a great way to reduce screen space used for a minimalist UI. Minimalist UIs aren't called minimalist because it sounds cool.
necessary? absolutely not. but i do have more than one of certain classes (diff servers). also, some of my characters on the same servers have the same name but with different accents over vowels (ie: Bôb, Bõb, Böb, Bøb, etc... none are actually named bob, but it's the same concept), and seeing on a regular basis which accent goes to which character does help me remember which accent i need to do when mailing items. anywhoo, really it doesn't seem to make it difficult to see quickly how much health the characters have which is the only thing that shares that space, and the space would be taken by the health bar anyway, so there's really no benefit in disabling it.

minimalist ui's do tend to favor hiding stuff, i see what you were talking about. personally i don't like them, but some do and it is possible that you helped them realize more ways to save screen space .

there are actually a couple minimalistic ui's that are ok (imo), but some just call it minimalistic yet still have the best screen space taken by bars / etc and still have the same addons being used, so the same memory usage and cpu cycles (actually more cycles because of the hiding and showing every time the specific events fire)... almost all the ones i saw in this thread use the middle to bottom of the screen, which.... dono about others... but is some of my preferred screen space. i'm using that space as well, so not saying i did better, just saying i don't consider it to be true minimalistic unless the useless parts of the screen are used rather than the most useful as far as the 3d world are concerned. some actually even make it quite difficult to loot items, i wonder if that's why so many people don't loot in instances... which i fund funny because they love to roll on every item that poops up, not realizing that they could get more out of the instance from the gray items being vendored than the 2 infinite dust they get from the de.

anywhoo, have fun

02-14-10, 10:20 PM   #1926
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by haylie View Post

I like it! I can't stand minimal myself... My UIs tend to be sort of minimal but with more crap on the screen :P For some reason, I just don't like the little things, for some reason :O

I like it alot though, but for healing, I like my frames to be a bit bigger, I just like them bigger so I have more of an accurate feeling when I'm healing rather than having it small, I tend to mess up sometimes I have no idea why lol, some people don't need that though.... This is, of course, just my opinion, you can take or leave it in the jar!

Also.. your castbar sort of bugs me as its not matching with the rest, width wise :P

edit - The nameplates are awesome though :P I need nameplates ever since I started tanking :P Good tanks have nameplates on, but again this is just IMO ! :O

02-15-10, 12:12 AM   #1927
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

The new debufftimers I'm working on for ncUI:

02-15-10, 01:43 AM   #1928
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
The new debufftimers I'm working on for ncUI:
Oh nice Now this would only show up for self debuffs correct? Or for all DeBuffs? I like being minimal but for some reason, or another, I like showing alll debuffs, will you have an option to show all debuffs somewhere else and showing this as well? Or just this.. Sorry lol :P

02-15-10, 04:31 AM   #1929
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Completely agree with you. However, being only level 23 I don't have many spells to begin with so can afford to put stuff like mounts on my action bar. There's also the issue of it being a new character, and I want to be familiar with my spells enough before I take them off my action bar. Eventually was thinking of getting Clique. Never used it myself but sounds like something I could get used to.

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
I like it! I can't stand minimal myself... My UIs tend to be sort of minimal but with more crap on the screen :P For some reason, I just don't like the little things, for some reason :O

I like it alot though, but for healing, I like my frames to be a bit bigger, I just like them bigger so I have more of an accurate feeling when I'm healing rather than having it small, I tend to mess up sometimes I have no idea why lol, some people don't need that though.... This is, of course, just my opinion, you can take or leave it in the jar!

Also.. your castbar sort of bugs me as its not matching with the rest, width wise :P

edit - The nameplates are awesome though :P I need nameplates ever since I started tanking :P Good tanks have nameplates on, but again this is just IMO ! :O
It's actually not that hard to heal with those frames. This coming from someone who has never healed anything in her entire wow career. Freebgrid has a lot of features that make it extremely functional (aggro highlight, damage taken, incoming heals, timer for my Renew). The fact that they're small and tucked in one place makes it so that you don't have to move your mouse too much on the screen, which for me is more important than huge bars.

I actually like my castbar wider, helps me discern it better from the unit frames, threat meter and all the other bar-like stuff I have concentrated in that area.

Also, the nameplates are quite easy to make. It's caelNamePlates modified after a post on the UI thread on the official forums (eu).

All in all, I don't consider it to be really minimal, in the true sense of the word. There's a difference between small and minimalist. Just because you made your stuff tiny does not make it minimalist.

02-15-10, 08:30 AM   #1930
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Ha Ferous, imagine a 25 people raid and all those unfiltered debuff bars on a boss mob ... not good.

That's why I don't like bars to show buffs/debuffs, btw. They don't show any more information than an icon does, but take up WAY more screenspace. I mean some few filtered ones, maybe. Just because they look nice. And yes I think they can look better than icons in most cases, even though that doesn't make up for the screenspace they use up, imho.

@Clique
While it's good for PvE, it's bad for PvP. why? Because you end up being slower, because you mouseover everything OR you end up having your 2 billion keybindings + clique bindings. One way or the other it's better to play without it IF you are doing PvP AND PvE. It's really great for PvE only, though.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

02-15-10, 10:24 AM   #1931
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
Oh nice Now this would only show up for self debuffs correct? Or for all DeBuffs? I like being minimal but for some reason, or another, I like showing alll debuffs, will you have an option to show all debuffs somewhere else and showing this as well? Or just this.. Sorry lol :P
This shows all debuffs YOU applied to every unit except yourself.

02-15-10, 12:03 PM   #1932
Aerials
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Ha Ferous, imagine a 25 people raid and all those unfiltered debuff bars on a boss mob ... not good.

That's why I don't like bars to show buffs/debuffs, btw. They don't show any more information than an icon does, but take up WAY more screenspace. I mean some few filtered ones, maybe. Just because they look nice. And yes I think they can look better than icons in most cases, even though that doesn't make up for the screenspace they use up, imho.

@Clique
While it's good for PvE, it's bad for PvP. why? Because you end up being slower, because you mouseover everything OR you end up having your 2 billion keybindings + clique bindings. One way or the other it's better to play without it IF you are doing PvP AND PvE. It's really great for PvE only, though.
so you use the keyboard to target say... party member 4 in group 6? mouse is much faster... i've never had a problem with speed when healing with cliquie in pvp. for arena maybe, dono 'cuz i don't do arena, but in battlegrounds, clique can be really nice.. heard cata will be rated BG's, summat about blizz saying arena was the worst thing to ever happen to wow? dono if they really said that, just what i heard.

02-15-10, 12:24 PM   #1933
Sec
A Cyclonian

heard cata will be rated BG's, summat about blizz saying arena was the worst thing to ever happen to wow? dono if they really said that, just what i heard.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Rated_battlegrounds

Info!

... And one day I will have my UI finished up enough to post here. Until then...

/lurk

02-15-10, 01:57 PM   #1934
Dawn
A Molten Giant

@Aerials
BG's = PvE *cough*

This MIGHT change with rated BG's in the future, though. But right now it's a joke compared to how fast paced arena matches can be.

I do have some mouseover macros (that cast the spell on myself if I have no target or if it is a helpfull spell and I have an enemy target), for raid situations (aka BG or PvE raids). Which ends up as one keybinding with extended functionality over a normal spell - it's just like Clique, but with the normal functionality of a spell on your actionbar - in one keybinding.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

02-15-10, 05:34 PM   #1935
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
so you use the keyboard to target say... party member 4 in group 6? mouse is much faster... i've never had a problem with speed when healing with cliquie in pvp. for arena maybe, dono 'cuz i don't do arena, but in battlegrounds, clique can be really nice.. heard cata will be rated BG's, summat about blizz saying arena was the worst thing to ever happen to wow? dono if they really said that, just what i heard.
I think dawn is talking about mouseover macro keybinds. This is what I use. I retired Clique over a year ago and moved to mouseover macros.

02-15-10, 06:24 PM   #1936
Aerials
mouse over macros are nice, i just never really got into them because i like to use the numpad for action bar binds and right hand for mouse, so i generally don't use keybound spells and the mouse at the same time.

02-15-10, 08:36 PM   #1937
takvaa
A Kobold Labourer

mix of damia, viv, roth

02-15-10, 08:46 PM   #1938
Ziara
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Was hoping that I'd have this finished past weekend (apologies to the person who asked) but the days have been swamped and busy.
Also, a tip to anyone. Don't try saving or loading anything in Reflux after 2am, it'll make you re-do everything or find back pieces in old profiles.

But I feel I'm getting there. Few pieces inspired heavily by Skullflower's UI;

02-16-10, 04:17 AM   #1939
Byakko
A Fallenroot Satyr
After a hard time configuring with LUI (which I love the look, but soooo many things flying around D, I decided to just strip everything back to basics and re-work everything up.

Basically, I REALLY wish I can work with kgPanels, but I suck at scripting and would like to get back to actually playing WoW, so right now I'm using Sunn Viewport and Artwork, which helps a lot (was previously using CT_Viewport, since i didn't know that Sunn had that Viewport function as well actually, thought it was pure art packs )

Anyway, here's what I've done so far:

Note, my main is actually a Hunter. But I decided to hop on my DK alt for a bit because Acherus is nice and quiet and I can work and reload stuff in peace.

So this is the basic framework. Using ouf_Caellian, but I'll be disabling pretty much all the buffs/auras/debuffs. I was never used to icon display of such things, but if I could figure out how to move the ones on the target window at least, I would. I'll be configuring Elkano Buff Bars or ClassTimers later to replace them.

Petbar is under the Stance bar. On my Hunter, I'm prolly going to stick an extra actionbar in the Stance bar area, don't want any item spaces

My action bars are short so they can fit into the overall size I'm working with. Plus, my fingers are short and I'm not going to press something beyond 6 so the extra buttons were kinda worthless. I also have many keys and macros tied to BindPad and Opie and so they're not on my visible action bars at all.

Still working on the cast bars. Target cast bar under Target window...and I'm still trying to figure out what to put under that (ANOTHER ACTION BAR PERHAPS!)

Btw, really need help on how to expand Blizz's font selection. Currently, I'm stuck with Fritz Quad default as the only font I can stand. Can anyone link to suggested fontpacks for me?

PS: Just realized while I was putting Recount and Omen in their current location, I forgot that was where I was planning to place my party/raid windows.... /facepalm /cry

PPS: Just so you know what I'm working away from, my previous UI (before my experiment with LUI v2) -

Last edited by Byakko : 02-16-10 at 04:44 AM.

02-16-10, 05:40 AM   #1940
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
After a hard time configuring with LUI (which I love the look, but soooo many things flying around D...
Odd, I ran in a pug run with a druid tank mentioning they had a hard time configuring the cast bars of LUI earlier today! Anyhow...

The best place you can go for your fonts selection is dafont.com. Well, it's not THE best place, but it does have a very wide selection of fonts for you to choose from and you can download them for free. Usually Tin doghouse, perspective sans, or even pixel0 are good choices of fonts all around. As far as expanding Blizz's font selection, usually a mod that allows you to change the font would generally work, but also, a shared media folder is the best work around. Since you can add and modify the folder without issue; this also goes for textures, sounds, borders and etc.

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...