01-09-06, 09:46 AM   #1
Akumajin
A Murloc Raider
DART Transparency Problems

Ok I spent a long time getting the alpha channel/custom textures thing to work! But I get this...

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/7...62356564zg.jpg

Definetly saving as alpha channel but it isn't being transparent.

And yes the canvas is set to transparent.

That white part shouldn't be there.

Using PSCS2 by the way.

Thanks.
01-09-06, 09:56 AM   #2
Yuddha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I was poking at a texture last night with Photoshop as well. My first try worked (even though it was the right size and the edge wasn't feathered like I wanted). However, every subsequent texture I tried booched -- I'd get green blocks.

One thing with Photoshop v. WoW... I found the alpha channel needs to be painted the inverse of what you expect. Things that should show are white in the alpha channel, things that are invisible are black.

Of course, maybe I should be doing this stuff during the week. Kind of a pain to wait in the 500+ queue just to test some textures for my UI.
01-09-06, 12:46 PM   #3
Johnzzon
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Transparency

Ok, I assume you're using Adobe Photoshop.

There's a tab where your Channels are. By default the RGB channel is on. But click the Alpha Channel.

Maybe in your case this s all white. Do like this:

Click the RGB again. Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool, mark the whole pic. Copy it. Now get in Alpha Channel again and Paste it.

Now you should have your pic in Alpha Channel too. Now you simply paint everything hat will be transparent - Black, and the visible parts - White. Ok?

Note that's only the silhouet that needs be painted, so don't mind painting over any texture. If you get what I mean, I'm not a good explainer...

Well good luck and feel free to ask questions.
01-09-06, 04:33 PM   #4
Akumajin
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Johnzzon
Ok, I assume you're using Adobe Photoshop.

There's a tab where your Channels are. By default the RGB channel is on. But click the Alpha Channel.

Maybe in your case this s all white. Do like this:

Click the RGB again. Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool, mark the whole pic. Copy it. Now get in Alpha Channel again and Paste it.

Now you should have your pic in Alpha Channel too. Now you simply paint everything hat will be transparent - Black, and the visible parts - White. Ok?

Note that's only the silhouet that needs be painted, so don't mind painting over any texture. If you get what I mean, I'm not a good explainer...

Well good luck and feel free to ask questions.
Ok I did what I did and then I tried again doing what you said, which is the same as me except I made the part I want transparent BLACK like you said. It made it black in WoW, so no dice.

Let me go through what I do. Tell me if I do anything wrong.

Open PS. I make the texture with a part I want transparent. I made the texture on a transparent background in RGD format. I select all, copy and paste in a NEW transparent document. I then make new channel, alpha channel. I turn off the RGB channel so it's JUST Alpha. I save it, put in the custom textures thing as a TGA with alpha channel, then change to LUE to recognize it.

Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks for the help, by the way.
01-09-06, 06:45 PM   #5
rberry88
Premium Member
You don't copy and paste it into a new document, you copy it and paste it into the alpha channel of your current document. The little window in the bottom right that shows your layers, click on the tab that says channels. You should have an R channel, a G channel and a B channel. Now you need an alpha channel that contains your pic so paste it into an alpha channel and then cover the parts you want to show in white and the transparent (non-shown) part black (think backwards, like me and you'll get it )
01-09-06, 10:03 PM   #6
Yuddha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

As the previous post said or implied, you can't just rely on Photoshop's Transparency feature. The feature was designed to work with many different file formats, but you'll need to use the Alpha Channel for TGA's to work.

What I do is select the part of the RGB image that I want to make visible (using a marquee or the magic wand), then flip to the channels, add the Alpha Channel, then use the paint bucket to flood the area with white. Then I "Flatten Image" and save as a TGA, 32 bpp.

Remember that the image has to be in the dimensions of a power of 2, no larger than 512.
01-10-06, 01:38 AM   #7
Akumajin
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Yuddha
As the previous post said or implied, you can't just rely on Photoshop's Transparency feature. The feature was designed to work with many different file formats, but you'll need to use the Alpha Channel for TGA's to work.

What I do is select the part of the RGB image that I want to make visible (using a marquee or the magic wand), then flip to the channels, add the Alpha Channel, then use the paint bucket to flood the area with white. Then I "Flatten Image" and save as a TGA, 32 bpp.

Remember that the image has to be in the dimensions of a power of 2, no larger than 512.
Woot! That worked, thank you so much!
12-09-07, 05:53 AM   #8
H0P3
A Murloc Raider
Same problem here, and also question...

Ok I would like to modify some textures and I figured out that alpha should be modified as well (if you cut or add graph. to the picture thus changing the alpha areas). Please check the below screen, this is the original image's alpha channel.

Screenshot from photoshop it was quicked than figure out how to export only the alpha channel. :]

So now you see this alpha channel was made by a really good graph. designer guy. How can I do such invert with this quality after modified the picture in photoshop? If I copy the picture over as you mentioned earlier, and use image/adjustment/invert I get a much rougher image, with lot of blacks on the supposedly whitish area as well.

Hope someone still reading this forum even if its older, and share your professionalism with me please. :]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alpha.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1591  

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » DART Transparency Problems