03-26-11, 03:06 PM   #1
Byakko
A Fallenroot Satyr
An Okami UI interface, need of some help with the concept!

Hi! Since I've hit a lull in WoW, I've decided to go with one of my main ambitions - make an Okami themed WoW UI (actually, Okami themed anything but this seemed an interesting idea so let's just focus on this )

Anyway, I'm starting small. I know my way around photoshop and textures and did custom models before (though it's not really possible anymore, sadly). The thing is I'm not sure exactly what I need and what's possible for me to do!

So I'm going to do an Okami themed UI!

Okami is a game on the PS2 and Wii which features heavy Japanese mythology and folklore as its theme and background, and notably it's use of sumi-e style graphics. The game looks like moving paints on parchment! You play as Amaterasu, the Sun goddess in her wolf avatar form.

Some images:

It might not be to everyone's taste, but I love it! It's beautiful and I would love to see how much elements of it I put in the game.

This video pretty much shows the kind of UI elements I want to adapt to place in a possible WoW interface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIG7t97arKM

PS: Sorry there's just no HD possible since the game was never released in any platform with HD quality. I'm hoping a sequel or remastered version comes out but I doubt it. So this quality is the best I can get

Lots of things I can see I want to put in use! I'm not going to use the sun orbs as health, but they look snazzy as Holy Power or combo points! The refilling blank ink pots as Soul Shards or Runes, and the unit frame I've decided will look similar in the bottom right (of the video).

WeakAuras/PowerAuras I will use for the combo points pop up, lots of other assorted stuff.

The things I'm not sure:

Is Stuf enough to change the unitframes and the secondary power graphics to what I want?

Animated graphics! Like the LFG eye graphic! I understand the concept and how to basically do it, the thing is do I have to program this myself or is this possible via addon (kgPanels perhaps?) I have never really seen a custom moving texture, so I'm skeptical.

Is it possible to force an oversaturation of color and lines in the WoW graphics? I don't think it would look like Okami at all, however I remember once someone managed to change the color of WoW to be more somber (what was dub Crysis-WoW or something). This was before Cata though, so I don't know what's possible.

I own the Okami 5 CD soundtrack, which even includes on 1 CD the various sound effects (finding treasure, level up etc.) they use. I'm hoping to replace those sounds with them as much as possible. I'm not sure if I'll face trouble later if patching occurs etc. if I do this though...

I know this is ambitious, but I've been pondering this a long time. Okami is easily my favourite game series in recent memory, and the graphics really stay with me. I was also inspired by Supervillain UI. I'm tired of a 'functional' UI; sometimes I just want to admire my game. I thought of the Okami UI with a Shaman character as such a perfect melding that it became an ambition!

Any and all feedback and suggestions and guidance is welcome, please! I'm willing to do the work, but I really need directions!

Also obligatory, here's my favourite music from the Okami soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya3yxTbkh5s

Last edited by Byakko : 03-26-11 at 03:09 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » An Okami UI interface, need of some help with the concept!