12-01-13, 04:22 PM   #1
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
NoGuild - blocks all the guild spam

Block guild solicitations in whispers and public chat channels.

Messages that look like guild recruitment spam are blocked from General, Trade, and whispers. There are no notifications to you or the sender, no dependencies on other addons, and no options to fiddle with. It just works (though only for messages in English right now).

It will automatically disable itself while you are unguilded and have disabled the "Decline guild invitations" option in the default UI, since presumably this means you are interested in guild invitations.

Download link and more info:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...4-NoGuild.html

Motivation:

I actually wrote this several years ago when guild perks became a thing and people started spamming guild invites left and right. Then I started using BadBoy + BadBoy_Guilded and put this project on a shelf for a while. However, I eventually found BadBoy's "arms race" approach too frustrating since I'd have to wait days or weeks for the addon to update to block every unique spam pattern, and when its author announced he would no longer even try to block guild spam in General/Trade chat, I took the opportunity to ditch BadBoy and dust off my old guild spam blocker.

Rather than try to match whole messages, NoGuild just assigns scores to individual words in the message. If the sum of word scores in the message is too high, it's blocked as spam. The word lists are short and simple, but extremely effective. I haven't seen a guild ad in months, except when I've disabled the addon to make sure people are still spamming (yes, yes they are). It keeps a log of blocked messages, and despite checking the log every so often I've never seen a false positive.

If you have specific complaints about the addon's functionality, please post a comment on the download page. Feel free to post in this thread for more general discussion. Also looking for people interested in helping build good filters for non-English guild spam.

Last edited by Phanx : 12-01-13 at 10:16 PM.
12-01-13, 05:52 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This is quite nice, I'm going to use it on some alts.

I'm a little hesitant to make the following request since I looked at the code it's simple and does exactly what it says, you probably wouldn't want to complicate it.

Anyway, I've found that I prefer the mail client's approach to unwanted messages, which is redirect instead of discard.

Would you consider adding an option (even if it is set in lua) to redirect the filtered messages for the session to another chat tab?
What I mean is something along the lines of "look if the user has a chattab named 'Spam' or whatever they have set and print filtered messages there".

Accept or decline, thanks for the addon goes without saying
12-01-13, 06:29 PM   #3
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

It's a sad, sad thing that an addon like this even needs to exist. Could probably be remedied if Blizzard made ginvite a protected function that couldn't be called through macros or addons. =\

Thanks for this Phanx!

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
12-01-13, 07:18 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
They already changed it so that a guild invite requires a hardware event. And this addon only deals with chat messages, not guild invites themselves. (There's a setting in the default UI to avoid those.)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-01-13, 10:10 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

@Dridzt:

I don't plan to add that, since (a) I don't want to see any spam anywhere ever, and (b) the chances of a misidentified message in Trade chat being relevant to me are pretty much zero. However, I'd suggest just throwing this line in to do it:

Code:
		if not seen[message] then
			tinsert(NoGuildMessages, 1, format("[%d] %s: %s", score, sender, message))
		end
+		ChatFrame3:AddMessage(format("<SPAM=%d> |Hplayer:%s:%d|h[%s]|h: %s", score, sender, line, sender, message))
@Everyone else:

Yeah, the invites themselves are not a problem, since they require a hardware event to send so they aren't spammed as heavily, and Blizzard gives you an option to block them. The problem now is the endless stream of idiots running addons to auto-spam their max-length guild ads to Trade chat every 90 seconds, or spam every unguilded player with a whisper at the same time. This addon basically just extends the "Block guild invites" option to also block those chat messages.

While I was at it, I went ahead and replaced BadBoy too, since it really suffers from the same "arms race" problem that led me to abandon BadBoy_Guilded. Reporting the spammers to get them banned is a laudable goal, but it's a huge amount of effort -- both for Funkydude to try to keep it constantly updated, and for me to be clicking on report popups every 5-10 seconds during peak hours and still have to manually report all the spam that gets through -- and Blizzard either can't effectively address the problem or just doesn't care.

My (as of yet unreleased) replacement takes a different and far less conservative approach. Currently it's 100% effective at blocking real spam, and about 95% effective at blocking irrelevant crap in Trade chat. I guess I should just polish it up and release it before my month of game time runs out, since I don't anticipate renewing. Anyone got a clever name idea?

Last edited by Phanx : 12-01-13 at 10:16 PM.
12-02-13, 02:52 AM   #6
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
My (as of yet unreleased) replacement takes a different and far less conservative approach. Currently it's 100% effective at blocking real spam, and about 95% effective at blocking irrelevant crap in Trade chat. I guess I should just polish it up and release it before my month of game time runs out, since I don't anticipate renewing. Anyone got a clever name idea?
LaconiChat?

SpamCensor?
12-02-13, 03:24 AM   #7
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Playing on a mid/low pop server I can say our trade chat is almost dead since Blizzard made it impossible to say anything more than 2 lines in a row. You can't even answer questions because of that and no one is courting for profession (thats also because everyone has the recipes now and there is no tip). If you want to sell something in tradechat you cant post more than one link what makes it realy a pain. So the only thing I read ist Guild search and ppl searching for groups...
12-02-13, 09:11 AM   #8
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Playing on a mid/low pop server I can say our trade chat is almost dead since Blizzard made it impossible to say anything more than 2 lines in a row. You can't even answer questions because of that and no one is courting for profession (thats also because everyone has the recipes now and there is no tip). If you want to sell something in tradechat you cant post more than one link what makes it realy a pain. So the only thing I read ist Guild search and ppl searching for groups...
Impossible to say more than 2 lines in a row? Can't post more than one link? I'm sorry, but are you absolutely certain that this is World of Warcraft?

Remember, every time you post a comment on an add-on, a kitten gets its wings!
12-02-13, 09:50 AM   #9
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Malsomnus View Post
Impossible to say more than 2 lines in a row? Can't post more than one link? I'm sorry, but are you absolutely certain that this is World of Warcraft?
OK you can post 2 links in the same massage but realy only 2 lines in a row - if you post again it says in german you can't say more
"Die Anzahl von Nachrichten, die an diesen Channel gesendet werden können, ist begrenzt. Bitte wartet, bevor Ihr eine weitere Nachricht sendet."

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » NoGuild - blocks all the guild spam