07-10-10, 03:38 AM   #61
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, it seems all the posts hit a nerve. they aren't going to do it no more.

Proofs! http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...68987278&sid=1
07-10-10, 01:54 PM   #62
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
That doesn't take away the many other privacy concerns, such as showing real names to friends-of-friends, which have already resulted in real people getting harassed. The system is still in practice unsafe for many people to use.

Just signed up for CoH because a few friends play it. In CoH, you get a single unique global alias for each player, and you can friend that alias. You never have to use either login name or real name to friend people, and it's a very popular and widely-used feature.
07-11-10, 05:31 AM   #63
Aarokh
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by seebs View Post
The next day, trade chat is full of his sister's name, cell number, workplace... Turns out the guild leader was a bit of a jerk.
So, you are upset about him spamming things which were public through the internet already? (Facebook for example?) It's not a fine thing to do and he certainly is a jerk but on the one hand people are crying bloody murder over the realID thing, on the other hand are giving out all of their personal details on facebook. Sounds like hypocrisy to me.

So, for example you play WoW, you got a facebook account with all your real information revealed to the internet.. But you are upset that people might know which facebook users actually play which toon(s) in WoW?

Sorry but this is double morale to me. If you don't post your phone number on Twitter, Facebook, vz.net (german) or other sites then people won't get your phone number in WoW through the RealID either.. I checked with various search sites like pipl and so on and There wasn't one match in the results. (there actually were like 6 Matches, all from people in the USA, I live outside of the US and I wasn't among the results.)

So maybe you guys shouldn't worry which info gets revealed in WoW, but which info is actually revealed about you on certain websites already. With a name and surname alone there's still enough protection for your privacy. Or are you also frightened that when you have a work dinner with your boss and he says your name in the reastaurant that some stalker sitting 1 table beside you might write it down with a pencil?
"Hey Boss don't call me "Mister Nick Soandso" please, someone could look me up on the internet and spread my phone number in the news tomorrow!"

Last edited by Aarokh : 07-11-10 at 05:32 AM. Reason: formatting~
07-11-10, 09:45 AM   #64
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Aarokh View Post
So, you are upset about him spamming things which were public through the internet already? (Facebook for example?) It's not a fine thing to do and he certainly is a jerk but on the one hand people are crying bloody murder over the realID thing, on the other hand are giving out all of their personal details on facebook. Sounds like hypocrisy to me.
The distinction you should be looking at here is Control.

If I post something on Facebook, Myspace, Twitter etc etc I can directly control who sees my information and who does not.

You can not do that for RealID's friends of friends feature. It's also right there in the battle.net terms of use - your friends list will also be shared with your friends and the only form of control is to stop using the service and deleting all your Real ID friends.

Facebook has pretty detailed graduated privacy controls. I can for example block one particular user from seeing any of my photos or just one photo album or even just one photo. These privacy controls work on any of your pages. It's possible to lock it down so friends of one of your friends don't see anything. Myspace and twitter has similar functionality through their private profiles - if I'm not on your friends list you can't see anything. Even if you are friends with someone on my friends list.

You can't do that with RealID.

There is no privacy controls. You see all your friend's friends and you don't have the option of stopping them from doing so.
Sorry but this is double morale to me. If you don't post your phone number on Twitter, Facebook, vz.net (german) or other sites then people won't get your phone number in WoW through the RealID either.. I checked with various search sites like pipl and so on and There wasn't one match in the results. (there actually were like 6 Matches, all from people in the USA, I live outside of the US and I wasn't among the results.)
Paid search engines can get a whole lot more information.
With a name and surname alone there's still enough protection for your privacy.
Unless of course you have a unique enough name that all information on the internet is directly related to you.

All we're really asking for with Real ID is the ability to define privacy controls on it. Until then many people won't use it because even just a name and surname is personal information enough.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 07-11-10 at 09:48 AM.
07-11-10, 09:48 AM   #65
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So, you are upset about him spamming things which were public through the internet already?

<snip>

But you are upset that people might know which facebook users actually play which toon(s) in WoW?

Sorry but this is double morale to me.<snip>
The point is that some people wish to keep private the fact that they play WoW at all due to perceived social stigmas.

Other people are worried about the stalking and physical harm issue because there are psychos out there that will beat someone to death over a game.

This isn't double-standard, and either you haven't seriously thought about the issue or you're trolling.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-12-10, 12:18 AM   #66
Aarokh
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
This isn't double-standard, and either you haven't seriously thought about the issue or you're trolling.
Theres a huge difference between having a different opinion or trolling.
And just because I am happy that certain douchebags who prefer to post with their lvl 1 toon on the official boards are out of the way doesn't mean that I wouldn't welcome a little checkbox (ingame or in the battle.net account management directly) to disable "friend of friend information spreading".

But official forum related I am all in favor of the realID stuff. Keeps the real trolls away. I rather not post on the board myself and stay on read-only mode there over having to read another post of a lvl 1 rogue called Sh4d0wr0><0r or whatever who flames other people.

Anonymity is a good thing but too much anonymity keeps people from staying polite just "cuz they can without having consequences."
07-12-10, 12:36 AM   #67
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If your whole stance is "it gets rid of the trolls" then, as I said, you haven't seriously thought about the situation - and you haven't read or have discarded the concerns people have with real life retribution for having "a different opinion" on the official forums.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-12-10, 01:06 AM   #68
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

But official forum related I am all in favor of the realID stuff. Keeps the real trolls away. I rather not post on the board myself and stay on read-only mode there over having to read another post of a lvl 1 rogue called Sh4d0wr0><0r or whatever who flames other people.
How do you know that Trolls are going to stop Trolling just because their real names are revealed ?

If anything you'll just get trolls who continually use 10 day trials with names like "Trolling McTrollEinstein". Last time I checked you didn't have to supply Government supplied ID to sign up for an account.

They could even of paid for a Troll speaker account. IE one account used by several trolls to post.

So how does real names get past that ?

Also they were requiring Blizzard employees to post. A few posted their real names. Within minutes their privacy was compromised :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10543100.stm
http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Am...AL-ID-function

Just look at all the stuff people find out about the Blues that posted their real names... all this within hours of the news breaking.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-12-10, 04:50 AM   #69
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
So, you are upset about him spamming things which were public through the internet already? (Facebook for example?)
Well, before he did it, her phone wasn't ringing off the hook.

It's not a fine thing to do and he certainly is a jerk but on the one hand people are crying bloody murder over the realID thing, on the other hand are giving out all of their personal details on facebook. Sounds like hypocrisy to me.
1. It doesn't require facebook.
2. The information "hey everybody, here is the name of someone who plays WoW" gives people a reason to look that person up, even if they didn't have one before.

My name's in the phone book, but if you don't have my name, you can't look me up in the phone book. Giving someone my name allows them to get all those other records.

I think that's the thing -- the fact is, a whole bunch of personal information about any adult is gonna be a matter of public record which they cannot hide, delete, or prevent people from looking up. The only real defense you get is that you can choose not to share the name that can be used to look it all up.

So, for example you play WoW, you got a facebook account with all your real information revealed to the internet.. But you are upset that people might know which facebook users actually play which toon(s) in WoW?
Yes. Again, giving people information in context is very different from the information existing with no way for them to know to look it up.

Sorry but this is double morale to me. If you don't post your phone number on Twitter, Facebook, vz.net (german) or other sites then people won't get your phone number in WoW through the RealID either..
This kind of thing stops being true very rapidly as you age, because for instance, if you buy a house, the name of the owner of the property is a matter of public record by law, and it would be criminal for it not to be searchable.

I checked with various search sites like pipl and so on and There wasn't one match in the results. (there actually were like 6 Matches, all from people in the USA, I live outside of the US and I wasn't among the results.)
So your argument is that because you personally happened not to be easily found, the millions of people who aren't you and are easily found shouldn't worry?

So maybe you guys shouldn't worry which info gets revealed in WoW, but which info is actually revealed about you on certain websites already. With a name and surname alone there's still enough protection for your privacy.
No, there isn't.

Seriously, please. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're making that abundantly clear. If your next post does not include a list of real live credentials like law enforcement work or security, I'm just gonna put you on ignore so I never have to read this drivel again.

... On second thought, I'm not even gonna wait. You've made it totally clear that you have no idea what you're talking about, you're not going to learn, you're not going to listen, and all you're going to do is spew nonsense which cannot possibly be believed by anyone who has ever done any kind of research or reading in the field. Please, feel free to continue spreading urban legends about identity theft that occasionally get people killed.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » RealID Privacy Concerns.