06-01-13, 08:35 AM   #1
Kaleesh
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Trying to replace a default texture, not sure what's wrong

Alright, so I've been trying to replace the default CastingBar texture for the longest time.

I had it as a .tga for a while, which, when I logged in, did absolutely nothing. Now that I've converted it to a .blp, it's doing something, but that something is a big green rectangle.

Usually this happens when the size is not a power of 2, but the dimensions of the texture are correct- in fact, I extracted and edited the original CastingBar directly. The filename is correct. The directory seems to be correct. It's under-

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\CastingBar\UI-CastingBar-Border.blp
The only thing I can think of at this point is that perhaps the parameters within the .blp file are incorrect, maybe something to do with color mode or something? I don't know the proper terms, but... I did have to convert the file many times before I got it to .blp. Maybe something got screwed in translation?

Here's the file if you need to see it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kv6o9lbxo3bv3fk

I read somewhere in a thread from 2012 that sometimes textures need a toc file with them to work, but seeing as it's a default replacement, just like the AI-Art textures I'm using for the menu buttons are, it shouldn't need one. They work without it. If in fact it does need one, I'm not sure how to go about it.

Last edited by Kaleesh : 06-01-13 at 08:54 AM.
06-01-13, 11:28 AM   #2
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Your file is corrupted for me please upload as tga or better png. I can't convert it back to png.
Make shure you use BLP2PNG I have tryed all blp converters here and this is still the best one.
When you replace it make shure your file works fine with the castbar AND the arena/BG countdown castbar (has a bad offset and looks silly if you try to make a thin border with the normal castbar)

I photoshoped it the preview to test if your texture is to big for the castbar and added it as blp. Looks a bit ugly new but you can be shure its not about the texture you use but the converting programm.

Last edited by Tonyleila : 06-01-13 at 11:49 AM.
06-01-13, 12:08 PM   #3
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
opens with xnview but I have no time to test it
06-01-13, 12:22 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I could see it using http://www.wowinterface.com/download...0-BLPView.html but then couldn't get BLP2PNG to do anything with the file...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-01-13, 12:29 PM   #5
humfras
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Try this conversion.
06-01-13, 12:32 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
humfras's version of the texture does convert with BLP2PNG. The dimensions are all good and there is an alpha texture.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Trying to replace a default texture, not sure what's wrong