10-03-09, 01:33 PM   #1
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Switching to Kubuntu 9.10, BornabeUI will resume support within a few days.

I'm finally dropping Windows altogether and making the permanent move to Linux using Kubuntu v9.10 64bit. I've always loved Linux and now have something worth using that can completely replace Windows, even for Gaming now that Wine's made such great strides recently. Once everything is installed, insanely configured and I add in everything I want to add, I'll resume full support for BornabeUI.

WoW plays flawlessly on Linux and for myself gives me 8-10 more FPS on average and MUCH lower latency numbers on a regular basis.

The only thing I'll miss is iTunes, which is currently being looked at to be implemented with Wine. Once that's done, life can move forward.

I'm even workign on a project to fully bring Gaming to Linux through an outstanding web site I'll be working on soon. I already bought the domain and have begun designing it, but want to take my time on putting it all together. It's going to have a community based feel to it as well as provide solid reviews, instructions, tips, etc... and different sections for OpenSource Linux Games, Games for Windows that'll run in Linux and also Commercial Games for Linux. If all goes well, it'll help promote the one OS companies stay away from the most when designing / porting their games. :-D Lots of rambling here that most won't even read, but I was waiting for some files to leap onto my storage drive as backup, lol. Off I go!
10-03-09, 02:56 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

What do you like about iTunes? Personally I am using Exaile for most of my music playing however I have hear good things about Amarok. I currently don't have any of the KDE libraries installed (I use Ubuntu which uses Gnome/GTK2) so I can't test Amarok at the present time.

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-03-09 at 03:03 PM.
10-03-09, 04:19 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Might be a simple matter of being to load up an ipod. But to be honest i don't know much about them beyond that. Not sure if there are 3rd party programs to add songs to one. Or if you even need programs to do it these days.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-03-09, 04:51 PM   #4
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm glad you feel so strongly about moving to Linux, and won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work. I've felt similarly on many occasions, but it never stuck. WoW never ran well for me on Linux, and most importantly, I've yet to find a sound card that works properly under the OS. Unfortunate, as I much prefer going about my daily tasks on Linux.

Good luck.

Last edited by shkm : 10-03-09 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Changed "when" to "if". Meant no harm.
10-03-09, 07:41 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Then you're using either an old Linux distribution and/or Wine version, or your sound card needs replaced. I've ran Linux for years (several different distributions) and have never had issues with sound. Wine has only recently become a stable platform on which to run WoW, however.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-03-09, 08:46 PM   #6
tophero21
A Cliff Giant

what are you currently running for a distro Torhal? I keep windows on my desktop but seem to have better overall, non-WoW performance, on my (older) laptop with ubuntu
10-04-09, 10:18 AM   #7
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Then you're using either an old Linux distribution and/or Wine version, or your sound card needs replaced. I've ran Linux for years (several different distributions) and have never had issues with sound. Wine has only recently become a stable platform on which to run WoW, however.
Actually, I've used a plethora of very different distributions -- with the last one being only a few months ago -- Wine versions, sound cards and even video cards. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I've had no luck with any of these. Sure, sound works, but in every case it has been very low in volume and sometimes quality.

Since we're on the subject, has the cursor lag issue with WoW been fixed yet? I understand it was a very common problem, where the cursor would run at the same FPS as the game, which turned out to be unplayable if FPS got low.
10-05-09, 02:04 PM   #8
zoktar
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Nice one!, having been an old linux gamers myself, im now considering going windows 7 / linux dualboot, where id use windows7 only for new windows games. Im guessing i will definitly be a member on your page whats the address?.
10-06-09, 04:55 AM   #9
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

It won't be ready for release for about 2 to possibly 3 months. Right now I'm piecing together all the ideas and layouts of what I want it to become, and I expect it to be an enjoyable experience of a web site before it goes live.

I used to absolutely love SuseLinux, and seeing that Studio will have to play around with that a few times every day, lol. That's an ingenious offering.

I'm going to stick it out with Kubuntu. I have used Gnome since the beginning and Ubuntu since it made it past it's first few phases. Kubuntu and KDE are new to me. I'm enjoying it a whole lotsa bunch. I'm a GUI person myself. Gnome kept it simple and usable but KDE really knocks my socks off with it's 4.3 release.
10-19-09, 08:35 PM   #10
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Bornabe View Post
The only thing I'll miss is iTunes, which is currently being looked at to be implemented with Wine. Once that's done, life can move forward.
When i first switched to ubuntu about 5 years ago I had the fifth generation video ipod.

I needed a program to convert and send videos to the device....everything I cam across was either too complicated or didn't work with desirable results.

I eventually discovered,floola.
Since its a single binary program( one file for windows one for linux)
i can keep a copy on the ipod and run it from the ipod while docked at a computer...

Does pretty much every thing itunes does that you care to need.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Switching to Kubuntu 9.10, BornabeUI will resume support within a few days.