04-11-10, 08:31 PM   #1
thetravellor
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
showing questgivers

There is (or was) an option in carbonite to show quest givers on the map.

I have trawled through the options and cannot work out where to enable it. Please can you describe how its done (a screen shot would be lovely!)

Tx

04-11-10, 08:50 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

In the Carbonite addon folder, there is a secret and little known file. It is called simply.....CarboniteReadMe.txt This wondrous file contains vast knowledge spoken in plain English. It is an excellent resource for all who may peruse it.

Behold, a snippet from this tome that it may entice you to look further within it....

(bolded section will help you specifically)

Quest Watch List

The watch window is draggable but not sizeable. It grows and shrinks as needed based on the quests you are currently watching. The Watch window can be made into a sizeable scrolling list if "Use fixed size list" is checked in the Quest Watch page of the Options window.

The green button toggles if all watched quests will be shown on the map and is on by default.

The purple "Auto Track" button will target the highest priority quest objective and updates dynamically as you move. Priority is based on distance, quest level and if the quest is complete.

The yellow/blue "Quest Givers" button shows Quest Giver icons on the map. Normal ones are shown as parchment icons. Daily quest givers as blue ! icons.

Button colors:
Dark yellow = No givers
Yellow = Quest givers and daily givers
Blue = Daily givers

The white "Show Party Quests" button determines if quests from other party members with Carbonite will also be shown in the Watch List.

Hope this helps you out

04-12-10, 09:02 PM   #3
Seefer
A Murloc Raider
I suspect further questions and confusion about this would be prevented if options like this also appeared in the context-sensitive menu that appears when you right click the full map. Maybe under the Show sub-menu?

04-14-10, 02:30 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
I suspect further questions and confusion about this would be prevented if options like this also appeared in the context-sensitive menu that appears when you right click the full map. Maybe under the Show sub-menu?
Well, if you mouse over the "radio buttons" on the quest watch header, you will get a tool tip telling you what they do. That's probably why it's not there.

Personally, I'd like to see a link for the "CarboniteReadMe.txt" file added to the menu that appears when you right click the Carbonite minimap icon (or, maybe, all the right click menus). It might help a lot of users as there is a lot of information in there that simply doesn't appear any where else (like the answer to the op's problem). I would further suggest that the install information contained in that document not be used there since you are reading it in-game so it's a bit redundant.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-14-10 at 02:35 PM.

04-14-10, 05:08 PM   #5
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
*snip* if options like this also appeared in the context-sensitive menu that appears when you right click the full map. Maybe under the Show sub-menu?
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Personally, I'd like to see a link for the "CarboniteReadMe.txt" file added to the menu that appears when you right click the Carbonite minimap icon (or, maybe, all the right click menus).
When you right click the Carb minimap icon, and choose the "Help" option the very first line on that screen points you directly to the CarboniteReadMe.txt file and even tells you why

04-14-10, 10:47 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It does, indeed. I never looked at the "Help", seriously, preferring to blunder through things and try to learn about it on my lonesome. That being said: It doesn't help you too much when you are trying to learn how to use a new (to you) addon and have to either back all the way out to the desktop and hunt down the file you need to read, or do a "alt+tab" and hope (at least in my case) it works again when you want to "alt+tab" back into the game again. Whenever I "alt+tab" out of the game, everything works OK but when I try to get back in that way, for some odd reason, about 90% of the time it just doesn't work. I end up using the Task Manager to kill WoW.

Also, before MMOUIMinion I used to install Carbonite manually, and the first time I did I opened the folders and had a look "under the hood" and found the CarboniteReadMe file. I just, really, never had a look at the "Help" heading in the Carbonite icon right click menu.

To me, personally, it just makes more sense to have that file included, somehow, in the right click menu's or in the "Options" dialog somewhere.
I suppose, though, that would just make Carbonite's memory foot print a little bigger what with the additional text and the relevant code necessary to display it in-game.

Would be nice, though.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » showing questgivers