08-17-09, 04:29 AM   #1
Ninven
A Murloc Raider

Targetting a mob trough the MT or MA

Hello folks,

I have a question about targetting a mob trough the Tank.
I have played EQ1 and EQ2 for a long time (spank me for that) but im a bit spoiled.
When i was in a Group or Raid then it was easy to assist trough the Tank so you know wich mob you have to cast on, this was going automaticly.
And you kept assisting (mean not auto casting) the Tank even when the mob died (so you have the next mob targetted as soon as the tank points a new target)

This is something i miss in WoW (or i must do someting wrong).

What i am looking for is a way to keep assisting the Tank (MA or MT) even when he / she is switching to a new Mob automaticly without pressing a Key to get the mob targetted.

thanks.
08-17-09, 09:23 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Addons cannot automagically select targets for you. You'll need to press a key or do something to acquire your new target each time. It's part of Blizzard's "UI not AI" stance.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-17-09, 04:09 PM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You could use an addon such as oRA or the like to always see the tank's or main assist's target (can set multiple tanks or /assists), enabling you to acquire it much faster. Or you could keep the one you want to see their target all the time focused to acquire focus' target faster. You could also play around with macros to create an easier method to the madness. All of that said, though, Seerah is correct (as usual ), nothing can be automated.
08-17-09, 04:55 PM   #4
Ninven
A Murloc Raider

There is nothing i want to be automated (like auto attack and such things).
I am looking for a way to keep my MA assisting all time so i can trough him attack (Nuke) the mob he is fighting and keep him on assist even when mob dies.. till he targets a new mob so i get the change to Nuke the right mob.

What is happening now is that when mob dies i have to target the MA again and use the f key to get the right mob targetted.

Maybe it is a Blizzard thing and i have to get myself used to it

Yhor, You see what i am looking for (i think) and will try out that addon.
Thanks
08-17-09, 05:09 PM   #5
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You mean like...

1. Target the MT.
2. Set focus.
3. (You can do this through addons or just normal macros):
Code:
/cast [target=focustarget, nodead, harm][] some spell
Alternatively, leave the MT targeted and use stuff like this:
Code:
/cast [target=targettarget, nodead, harm][] spell

As a sidenote, if you like auto-targeting, I personally couldn't play my healers without long macros that let me heal by target's target or focus or whatever seems convenient like:
Code:
/cast [mod:shift] nature's swiftness; [mod:ctrl] some shapeshift; [mod:alt, target=player][help, nodead][target=targettarget, help, nodead][target=focus, help, nodead][target=mouseover, help, nodead] some heal
08-17-09, 05:28 PM   #6
Pigl33t
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Bartender 4 have a auto-assist feature which, when enabled, use the spells and things on your targets target if you can't use the skills in question on the target. Don't know if it works offensively but I do know you can heal like that. I didn't know what it did first but then I noticed I was healing a lot of people but myself when the Horde invaded Stormwind and tried to kill the King. Then I figured out that it was healing my targets target since I couldn't heal my own target.
08-18-09, 05:38 AM   #7
Ninven
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
You mean like...

1. Target the MT.
2. Set focus.
3. (You can do this through addons or just normal macros):
Code:
/cast [target=focustarget, nodead, harm][] some spell
Alternatively, leave the MT targeted and use stuff like this:
Code:
/cast [target=targettarget, nodead, harm][] spell

As a sidenote, if you like auto-targeting, I personally couldn't play my healers without long macros that let me heal by target's target or focus or whatever seems convenient like:
Code:
/cast [mod:shift] nature's swiftness; [mod:ctrl] some shapeshift; [mod:alt, target=player][help, nodead][target=targettarget, help, nodead][target=focus, help, nodead][target=mouseover, help, nodead] some heal
Thanks, i was looking for someting like this but since i am a noob in WoW (have a lot to learn). and trying to find a way to keep a solid way to stay on the MA (target) and Nuke the mob he is fighting.
Stay on the MA (even he is not attacking) and get the mob in sight as soon he is targetting a new mob wich i can nuke again.

Since i am a Mage i want to avoid to nuke the wrong mob in multiple pulls.
I am not very familiar with Macro's and would like to ask to create a macro for me wich i can use .

Pigl33t,
I am using Bartender and will check it out, but i am not looking for auto attack (or auto casting) since there is a change to taunt the mob from start. anyway i will check that thing out in Bartender.
Thanks
08-18-09, 06:53 AM   #8
Ninven
A Murloc Raider

Think i have found what i was looking for.. its a addon called MainAssist.
Have looked intoo it and it has all the things i was searching for.. will try it out .

Thank you all for your responces
08-18-09, 11:38 AM   #9
Rhaethe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Yeah, that was one of the features of the stock standard EQ/EQ2 UI that I miss. It didn't pick a target for you, per se`. Rather, if you targeted anyone, if you cast a "friendly" spell, it cast the ability/spell on whomever you had directly targeted. If it was an "unfriendly" spell/ability then it was cast on whatever was being targeted by your direct target.

You still had to directly target other things if you wanted to affect something other than what your direct target was targeting.
08-18-09, 12:14 PM   #10
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah WoW can do that, you just have to set it up through macros or (generally actionbar) addons.
08-18-09, 10:40 PM   #11
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
I know you found what your looking for but I had to add my 2 cents anyway.
QPartyTarget shows everyones target. They are clickable so you can target them quickly. It does have issues being updated regularly but still very awesome. A must have in the Cit, to easily target what others have targeted.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Targetting a mob trough the MT or MA