11-06-14, 01:36 AM   #1
sikwidit
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Need some help!!!

Ok this is my UI http://www.wowinterface.com/download...445-SikUI.html, just a compilation of addons that I put together for raiding, functionality and eye candy. I use reflux to set everything up according to the assigned profiles. My question is... How do I set up an intro page? Whereas when you first unzip the interface and wtf and the user logs on and gives you an intro page to set everything up for you. I've seen it in a lot of UI i.e. ElvUI and others. Basically I want to refrain from using reflux and go with an intro frame/screen where it sets it up for you according to the resolution of your ui.
11-06-14, 06:15 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by sikwidit View Post
Basically I want to refrain from using reflux and go with an intro frame/screen where it sets it up for you according to the resolution of your ui.
You're still going to want to keep using Reflux. You're just going to want your custom setup addon to call the Reflux functions in the background without making the user know anything about Reflux.

Other than that I'm not really sure what you're looking for here... are you hoping someone will write a whole setup addon for you? Are you looking for answers to specific questions about writing your setup addon? Do you have no idea where to start? Have you looked at the code for the setup addons used in other UI compliations? What are you still confused about?
11-06-14, 08:51 PM   #3
sikwidit
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
What are you still confused about?
Hmm... I could be wrong but I'm feeling that you're being a douch. Again I could be wrong so if I am, I apologize. Anyways... Ok peep this, just so I can make it clear, I'll go step by step, mmk? You know when you first unzip the "interface & wtf" folders and they log in game. Then they will type the reflux command to set up the multi addons according to the profile. Well... I rather that when they log on game after the unzip. A small frame appears again I repeat appears on the screen or maybe a button to click to setup the multi addons. So... Is there an addon to do that? ...or mainly you have to write your own script? Now here's the finally - I dont write scipts, so if it has to be done only via scripts, can someone help or point me in the direction.
11-06-14, 09:00 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Hmm... I could be wrong but I'm feeling that you're being a douch. Again I could be wrong so if I am, I apologize.
Yeah, you're wrong. And perhaps it is this error which affected your attitude in your response to Phanx. She is more than willing to help you, but she wants to know what you have done to help yourself first. She knows full well what you want in your UI. This is why she told you that you'll still need to use Reflux, but with a custom addon for the user to interact with that will use Reflux for the user.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-06-14, 09:20 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Hmm... I could be wrong but I'm feeling that you're being a douch.
Nope, just asking if you'd already done any research or tried anything, and if you had, what specifically you were still asking for help with after checking out the available resources and examples. Just saying "I need help" isn't very descriptive, and I'm not going to waste 45 minutes typing up a step by step guide for X when I don't know if you even need help with X.

Is there an addon to do that? ...or mainly you have to write your own script? Now here's the finally - I dont write scipts, so if it has to be done only via scripts, can someone help or point me in the direction.
Yes, you would have to write your own addon. There's not really any way to write a "do all the things I want to do for new users when they install my UI compilation" addon without it being specific to your UI compilation.

Basically you need to do these things (italics are things to search for on Wowpedia for more information):

1. Use saved variables to remember if your setup addon has been run before, so you don't keep showing it it to the user after they've already run it.

2. Create a frame with any number of textures (pictures), fontstrings (text), and buttons for the user to interact with.

3. When the user clicks on a button, run a script that does something.

4. When you're all done, hide the frame and update your saved variable to indicate that the user has completed the setup process and shouldn't be shown the setup frame anymore.

I'd suggest installing some other UI compilations that have interactive setup features, if you haven't before, so you can get an idea of what they usually offer. For example, the setup frame in MayronUI -- which I helped write the original version of years ago -- has multiple pages where you can customize the UI in different ways. This will help you get an idea of what exactly you want yours to do, which will in turn make it easier to figure out how to make it.

For example, maybe you just want one frame that says "Welcome to my UI, push the big button below to complete installation!" that automatically picks the right profile for the user's resolution and invokes Reflux in the background to activat that profile.

Or maybe you want a 10-page "setup wizard" like you get when installing a Windows program, where each page offers additional options, like "do you need raid addons? yes/no" and "do you want minimap icons or an info bar?" etc.

Once you know exactly what you want, start with something basic -- for example, just work on #1 and have your addon print a message to the chat frame on login telling you whether you've loaded the addon before. Then move on to creating a frame, and having the frame appear or not appear based on whether you've loaded the addon before. Just take it one step at a time, familiarize yourself with the many addon programming resources that are available to you, and ask specific questions if you get stuck.

However, if you're not willing to learn and do most of the work creating a setup tool for your UI compilation, you shouldn't really expect that anyone else is going to be willing to do it all for you, and you should probably just stick with telling users to run the Reflux commmands from the download page.

Last edited by Phanx : 11-06-14 at 09:22 PM.
11-06-14, 09:29 PM   #6
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

nibProfileLoader may be what you're after.
11-10-14, 07:44 PM   #7
sikwidit
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Yeah, you're wrong.
I think I covered that area in advance. But since you wish to jump in a conversation that you have nothng to do with... Ever heard of "nonya"? Go go google.
11-10-14, 07:46 PM   #8
sikwidit
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
nibProfileLoader may be what you're after.
Thank you, that is exactly what I'm looking for.
11-10-14, 08:05 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I think I covered that area in advance. But since you wish to jump in a conversation that you have nothng to do with... Ever heard of "nonya"? Go go google.
As a moderator, it was very much my business. And your attitude still isn't doing yourself any favors. I'm going to point you in the direction of our Number 1 Rule on this site. I sincerely hope that you choose to read it before posting again.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-10-14, 10:22 PM   #10
sikwidit
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
And your attitude still isn't doing yourself any favors.
I don't think I have any attitude. Before I posted my respond back to Phanx, I covered what I thought it was douchery going on and on top of that I apologized in advanced. You simply commented back without even reading what I wrote. If I hurt your feelings in any way it wasn't my intention. I just hate when anyone comments back without thoroughly realizing to what is already presented, I find it unnecessary.
11-10-14, 11:57 PM   #11
sikwidit
A Fallenroot Satyr

sigh......

Last edited by sikwidit : 11-11-14 at 12:51 AM.
11-11-14, 02:49 AM   #12
10leej
A Molten Giant

sigh......
Welcome to the internet where even moderators skim the conversation so they have a rough idea as to what the point of the conversation is. Then input their point which in this case is

Yeah, you're wrong. And perhaps it is this error which affected your attitude in your response to Phanx. She is more than willing to help you, but she wants to know what you have done to help yourself first. She knows full well what you want in your UI. This is why she told you that you'll still need to use Reflux, but with a custom addon for the user to interact with that will use Reflux for the user.
which is essentially a "Hey calm down look this person is trying to help" type of message.

But, alas you only look at the first three words and respond in an often seen way on these forums, which then frustrates every. single. user. here.

Please for the love of all that is worthy of my lord and savior the internet.

Random person I have never met never spoken to or will likely ever meet looking to this message. Just calm down and actually try to be constructive or at the very least not sounding like an dick. I'm tired of seeing Phanx get this treatment on every other thread.

/signed
10leej (another random person on the internet.)

Last edited by 10leej : 11-11-14 at 02:53 AM.
11-11-14, 11:20 AM   #13
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
snip
You get a cookie for being nice (Seriously)
11-11-14, 05:24 PM   #14
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
1. Person on the internet asks for help on a public forum, trying to gather options for a solution, but not sure what the best way is.
2. Other people people give a few suggestions, but most of the time, they can only really help that person by asking valid questions to narrow a need.
3. Original poster gets offended by the number questions and writes a defensive response.

Phanx never meant to offend you with the number of questions she asked you.
Also, I think Seerah has a valid reason to minge into this conversation, as explained.

Hmm... I could be wrong but I'm feeling that you're being a douch.
Calling her a douche is antagonizing, even if you apologize in advance. A bit of advice: You may think you're just talking to a respondent, but you're actually talking to a community.

I don't think I have any attitude.[...] You simply commented back without even reading what I wrote
Now I think you're just haughty there... How does one not have an attitude when feeling the need to apologize in advance?

Other then that, let us know if you need any other help

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Need some help!!!