10-15-08, 11:03 PM   #21
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Hello all

You can also switch on the openRDX framework.

Description

See the movie
http://hosted.filefront.com/sigg12

We can convert feature from MazzleUI to openRDX.
10-16-08, 05:57 AM   #22
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by sigg View Post
Hello all

You can also switch on the openRDX framework.

Description

See the movie
http://hosted.filefront.com/sigg12

We can convert feature from MazzleUI to openRDX.
is it possible in openRDX to import art? The mazzle UI has that great art we all know and love.
10-16-08, 06:15 AM   #23
AFerrari
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hi all,

firstly great to see there is a great effort to get Mazzle up and running again, having been a user of this for a year it's hard to find a replacement, anyway, /Dominos is bongos only it's been renamed, it's made by the same author, i have been using Dominos since it's release and u dont notice any difference, so i think Dom should be used.

I have not tried this yet, but im going to soon, try to get x-perl to do our frames, not sure if it will give the mazzle effect i want yet, but will keep you posted. i allready tried pitbull but that'll never work for many reasons.

Curse updater, is pants, i used it yestereday for the replacement of our greatest addon updated wowace, and it did find addons, but then i was looking round and stumbled apon WOW Matrix perfect, after doing the WOW Matrix update there were 156 more updates which curse missed . check it out, to enable faster fixing of Mazzle

just my 0.02c worth.

F1_Ferrari
10-16-08, 06:54 AM   #24
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Of course, you can import textures (art), fonts, backdrops, backdrop borders and sounds. There are libraries editors for each of this media.

All these are used from the arframes and uniframes editor.
10-16-08, 07:08 AM   #25
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have to, unfortunately, agree with IronFather. I was thinking, honestly, after going through much of the MazzleUI code that it would almost be easier to just start fresh. Granted, I'm a novice at LUA but there were things going on in there that were taking me most of the night to unravel.

So...where do we go from here? I think, if we are not going to build our own wheel, that we are going to have to decide what libraries to start with, what add-on's we are going to include and how to work a good abstraction layer in here so that we can add, remove or replace modules with minimal fuss (because, no matter what current add-on projects we decide on, the likelihood is that add-ons owned by others for whatever reason are going to be terminated, re-worked, etc.).

At this point, frankly, we are going to need a strong leader (or two) who will drive the project. We need someone to pool our resources, set deadlines, set meetings, help us define feature sets and common library usage, coordinate community research (what do people WANT to see in the UI), and coordinate beta testing. We need to turf scope creep, set milestones, set up a change control process, a bug reporting process....I could go on, but why? Basically, we need a project manager. Any volunteers??
10-16-08, 07:27 AM   #26
Ironfather
A Murloc Raider
Mixsae - Eregroth seems to be gathering names (and desired roles). I've sent him an email incl some prelim recommendations on setup. I put my name in the hat for co-managing the effort (no one person should be allowed to solo manage it - open source projects without redundancy built in always fail - it's a matter of time).

All - I advocate posting even if you have little coding experience (but an interest to learn) and little time to contribute (tell us how much). Out intent, I believe from what I am reading, is that we will architect to not be as tightly coupled to the underlying addons.

This is a good opportunity to 'cut your teeth' on LUA coding as you can work on a small piece of a much larger overall solution.
10-16-08, 07:49 AM   #27
AFerrari
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hi,

In that case, i have a small amount of programing skill, but not been used in a long time, never used lua and to be honest dont yet know where to start, but i would be happy to learn and try and contribute to the mazzle effort, just point me in the right direction and i will get started lol

F1_Ferrari
10-16-08, 08:12 AM   #28
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ironfather View Post
Mixsae - Eregroth seems to be gathering names (and desired roles). I've sent him an email incl some prelim recommendations on setup. I put my name in the hat for co-managing the effort (no one person should be allowed to solo manage it - open source projects without redundancy built in always fail - it's a matter of time).

All - I advocate posting even if you have little coding experience (but an interest to learn) and little time to contribute (tell us how much). Out intent, I believe from what I am reading, is that we will architect to not be as tightly coupled to the underlying addons.

This is a good opportunity to 'cut your teeth' on LUA coding as you can work on a small piece of a much larger overall solution.
Awesome -- as long as I don't have to manage it. I much prefer the role of "worker bee". Let me know how/when I can help. Meantime, I'll start playing with LUA and try to get up to speed.

Also, we might want to consider moving this discussion off of this forum for the time being; they're crushed under the load of everyone coming here for 3.0.2-compliant updates and I can only get on every couple of minutes or so.
10-16-08, 08:21 AM   #29
Brillynt
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well a 3.0.2 version of DUF is out since late last night. So that should be grabbed and integrated.

We will need to find a bar mod that meets mazzle's requirements of being able to configure differing number of buttons per bar and to not chew up the action ids. It must also allow mazzle to programattically build the buttons and bars from the mazzifier.

That said I am adding my name to the list of people working on this.

As a side note if you are looking for a fairly easy to use temporary replacement try out SpartanUI. I am using this while I work on the mazzle stuff.
10-16-08, 09:29 AM   #30
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Question

Originally Posted by Brillynt View Post
Well a 3.0.2 version of DUF is out since late last night. So that should be grabbed and integrated.

We will need to find a bar mod that meets mazzle's requirements of being able to configure differing number of buttons per bar and to not chew up the action ids. It must also allow mazzle to programattically build the buttons and bars from the mazzifier.

That said I am adding my name to the list of people working on this.

As a side note if you are looking for a fairly easy to use temporary replacement try out SpartanUI. I am using this while I work on the mazzle stuff.
I saw SpartanUI on Tuesday evening when I was looking for a Mazzle replacement (maybe that should be the new name? MUIRP? As in "MazzleUI Replacement Project"?? It pays homage to Mazzle -- author of this wonderful UI -- while letting everyone know it's a code fork? But, I digress...). At that time, it wasn't 3.0.2 compliant either (although I see they've recently updated it to 2.5 which supposedly is 3.0.2 compliant). It looked very interesting, though.

The thing that sets Mazzle above the rest, however, is customization ability (via skins and, of course, the Mazzifier) and the 3D paper-dolls. Nothing I've seen, SpartanUI included, even comes close. However, maybe that project would welcome an influx of programmers...it might be an alternative, at any rate, since the UI does look intriguing and well thought out.

Secondly, has anyone heard from Mazzle lately? We might all be making something from nothing; it is possible that Mazzle's working on making MazzleUI 3.0.2 compliant...
10-16-08, 10:35 AM   #31
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
SpartanUI was not a branch of MazzleUI, nor did it ever use any MazzleUI code as far as I know. The original author was just originally inspired by my work. It takes a significantly different approach to things, one that is more similar to something like Spiel2001's nUI. Both of those projects seem very cool and worth checking out, IMO.
10-16-08, 01:57 PM   #32
Inygo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Spiel2001's nUI looks nice, but isnt patched yet from what i read on their forum.

Do we really want to start with somone else's UI? Doesnt that set us up for this problem at some point down the road if they decide not to update it anymore?
10-16-08, 02:21 PM   #33
apolis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I was never suggesting to copy someone's UI. I was mere;y saying we should look at what they're doing to make they're UIs work with the new patch and see if we can apply any of that to mazzle or we can do like someone else said and start from scratch and make Mazzle 3.0.
10-16-08, 02:40 PM   #34
Venüs
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post
SpartanUI was not a branch of MazzleUI, nor did it ever use any MazzleUI code as far as I know. The original author was just originally inspired by my work. It takes a significantly different approach to things, one that is more similar to something like Spiel2001's nUI. Both of those projects seem very cool and worth checking out, IMO.
One more time need u mazzle u can make agaşn this addons u great man and great addons c'mon m8 do it pls
10-16-08, 03:45 PM   #35
Kaerey
A Defias Bandit
Teaching myself LUA atm. Would love to help. At the moment my strengths would be in debugging and fixing sytax rather the creation of new code. I'm also very fond of non-traditional setups and would probably do best with helping with the Visual Layout and ergonomic design of the environment.

I've tried hundreds of possible layouts with some other addons, including, using viewport to make my widescreen actually square and using the free space on the side to store unit frames, chat, and bag space. (Think ESPNNEWS HD with the typical 4:3 image and left side frame for scrores and updates,and if you haven't seen it, best use of screen space in television) It worked surprisingly well.
10-16-08, 03:48 PM   #36
dropper
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Offering up my assistance as well. I do a fair bit of programming during my day job at a large US computer maker. My primary role is a Server Test Engineer, so I also have a knack for debugging.

Keith
10-16-08, 05:28 PM   #37
Brem
Premium Member

Premium Member
Okay. Let's look at core functionality that has to be placed/configured/nudged for Mazzle. As I see it, these types of mods are going to be integral to making something that even comes close.

1. Unit Frames - Mazzle uses DUF which has been (at least partially) updated. The 3D figures are custom Mazzle.
2. HUD & Context Menu - Both of these were custom developed. It appears that the HUD relies on some combination of Discord Art/Unit Frames. Context menu is custom Mazzle.
3. Action Bar - To make the thing look right, I think these have to (at least) be placed. Adding spells would also be nice. (A feature request might be to be able to submit user supplied button layouts)
4. Minimap & Button shuffling - Mazzle was great about removing unnecessary buttons from the minimap and putting them either on a FuBar or custom placing them if there was no FuBar option
5. Mazzifier - This is a gigantic piece of custom code that allows the "base" units to be laid out and configured. This is probably the real work here.
6. Skinning & Efficiency - Skinning the bottom panel is critical (I think) to Mazzle. I'm not so sure about effiiciency modes, I never used them and don't know how crucial they are.
7. Non-core mods - Being able to place "non-core" mods that are still useful is important, but less so.
8. Intelligent enabling of mods - Knowing what class & tradeskills and setting up special mods & buttons. Sure, include class-specific addons (pallypower, shard ace, totem timers, what have you) but turn them off for those classes that don't use them.

That's my input. What do we think?

-----------------
MazzleUI Beta Tester
10-16-08, 05:45 PM   #38
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Cool

Originally Posted by Brem View Post
1. Unit Frames - Mazzle uses DUF which has been (at least partially) updated. The 3D figures are custom Mazzle.
I think we're going to have to figure out the 3D figures (Mazzle might help?). They're the 'eye candy' that attracted me to Mazzle in the first place.

As for DUF...maybe we should examine creating our own Frame library; IMHO, I don't want to have to rely on another add-on for core functionality (because, let's be honest, projects do die).

2. HUD & Context Menu - Both of these were custom developed. It appears that the HUD relies on some combination of Discord Art/Unit Frames. Context menu is custom Mazzle.
Same as above; DUF is nice, but this is core functionality here and I think we might be wise to steer clear.

Of course, we can make the HUD non-core by including another add-on...depends on if we want to say the HUD is 'necessary'.

3. Action Bar - To make the thing look right, I think these have to (at least) be placed. Adding spells would also be nice. (A feature request might be to be able to submit user supplied button layouts)
Another core functionality. I like the user supplied button layouts (although, really, users can add their own if they understand the Mazzle code)...maybe set this up to be 'skinnable' (XML file or something?).

I'd also like to work in the functionality that user placed button changes are kept from one mazzifier to another (I loved the mazzifier, hated that I kept having to set up my macros and mounts).

4. Minimap & Button shuffling - Mazzle was great about removing unnecessary buttons from the minimap and putting them either on a FuBar or custom placing them if there was no FuBar option
5. Mazzifier - This is a gigantic piece of custom code that allows the "base" units to be laid out and configured. This is probably the real work here.
6. Skinning & Efficiency - Skinning the bottom panel is critical (I think) to Mazzle. I'm not so sure about effiiciency modes, I never used them and don't know how crucial they are.
7. Non-core mods - Being able to place "non-core" mods that are still useful is important, but less so.
8. Intelligent enabling of mods - Knowing what class & tradeskills and setting up special mods & buttons. Sure, include class-specific addons (pallypower, shard ace, totem timers, what have you) but turn them off for those classes that don't use them.

That's my input. What do we think?
I *think* it's possible to get some abstraction here. In terms of designing the components, I'd like to see a multi-tier thing (especially if we have to depend on other mods for core functionality). For example, we fix/rewrite/etc. the Mazzle ui to call specific functions held in the 'middle-ware' and the 'middle-ware' translates the calls into whatever base add-ons and Warcraft APIs we use. That way, from patch to patch, we only have to change things in the 'middle-ware' layer; so, if an API changes from fubar( a, b) to fubar(b,a) or fubar(a,b,c) we only have to work in the middle-ware to fix it. Also, abstracting the other add-ons gives us the same opportunity.

I'd also like to see enough comments in the code that if a whole new team takes over for the next patch, they're not left scratching their heads wondering what the heck we were thinking. Personally, I'm not so worried about code theft -- that's how I learned most of C, by searching through other people's code file to see how they did it. I think this qualifies as a hobby (or perhaps an insane love affair) rather than a product -- so who cares if they rip off chunks of code?
10-16-08, 06:00 PM   #39
Kaerey
A Defias Bandit
So Mazzle has a lot of custom work and a lot of third-party mods, I personally really like the split from 2.3 or what ever with the core pack and the addon packages. I would ideally like to see everything from the CORE pack (unit frames, bars, hud, etc) not be 3rd-party mods so if in doubt, we know the core mods will be working with the system. But here's my thoughts on your list Brem.

The key features that I enjoyed are the vertical bars, 3d models, and the quick link buttons around the target (whisper, trade, etc)

Huds are very common now and we might be able to find a 3-party substitute or get one of those mod makers to come work with us and maintain our core piece
many people have been mentioning the Bongos to Dominos conversion, they are NOT the same thing. Dominos has been a complete rewrite and Bongos abandoned. I looked at Dominos and i'm not sure it has the flexibility of what we were wanting, either a new core mod or switching to bartender might be better which has profiles.
Lots of things can move minimap buttons now, but sure what has changed in the blizzard ui with the addition of the calendar (new shape and size)
I think above all this is the most attractive piece of mazzle, yes the rest is amazing but after messing around with configs and manually making changes to layouts, this was the greatest piece of Mazzle and set Mazzle's work apart from the rest. IMO this is the most important piece of front end design. Once all the bits and pieces work, it isn't MazzleUI unless this works.

I myself never change my graphics settings so the efficienty modes aren't important, but I do know that the mod used has been updated and is working.
Non-Core? I think we first need to decide what we feel are core and non-core, for me non-core means anything not required for the look and feel and EASE of MazzleUI. This would be like threat meters and boss mods, Trade Skill windows and Quest helpers (Although that damn pointer is clutch!)
I think most class specific mod makers have done a good job of turning them off if you are on a wrong class. Necrosis I know does, Call of Elements used to, not sure about Pally Power. This might not be something we have to entirely focus on.

I would ideally like to make two packages again, a core pack to get it working and an enchanced experience pack that adds the non-core pieces to the pie.
10-16-08, 06:09 PM   #40
alenda
A Cliff Giant

Don't you touch that HUD!!

Seriously the artwork on the hud is on of my favourite parts of MazzleUI. No changing it to another addon.

In terms of the barmods, I think that using dominos is the way to go, even though it doesn't work in the same fashion that Bongos did, but things have changed since then. No matter what, you'd need a mod that handled the mind control/pet/vehicle interface. It was pretty annoying to deal with the Karazhan chess event/BT Teron Gorefiend bars not working properly.

Action ID's aren't thaaaat important are they?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleUI 3.0/WOTLK Devs Only