01-30-17, 01:50 PM   #1
Ansi
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Using fonts from other Blizzard-games in World of Warcraft

I've been experimenting a lot with different fonts for my Ui, but I always seem to return to the default one. It works because it doesn't distract me ─ but it's not as fun as a fresh one.
Lately I've tried using fonts from other Blizzard games, and it hit me right in the nostalgia.

Diablo 2 + Hearthstone

The fonts are called Formal 436Bt and Belwe Bd Bt. But how are the copyright on the fonts? Does it matter whether I own the Blizzard games?

And what do you think about using 'nostalgic' fonts?
01-30-17, 04:14 PM   #2
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Ansi View Post
But how are the copyright on the fonts? Does it matter whether I own the Blizzard games?
You only need to worry about this if you intend to upload the fonts to be publicly accessible or use them in your own work intended for distribution. There are no rules or laws that will prevent you from personal use of any media. You do not need to own a game to use its assets privately for yourself, especially since both of those fonts were created in 1990 by Bitstream Inc. and are not owned by Blizzard. I am not condoning piracy, but if you're not actually playing the game and the media is publicly available anyways, there is no issue.
01-31-17, 01:10 AM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Long story short. Do your research on the fonts and see if you can find what license they're released under. If you read and follow the license terms, you're clear to use them as you wish. It's highly unlikely for any game developer to put the time into making new fonts with so many available under public licenses.

PS: The use of "nostalgic" fonts is dependent of the user's tastes. If you like it, by all means, use it. Nobody here has any right to deny you that.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 01-31-17 at 01:16 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Using fonts from other Blizzard-games in World of Warcraft