04-04-16, 08:18 PM   #21
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
I believe that this might be what you're looking for.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info22842-HigherHotKey.html

Also, I'm liking the design of the UI.
Here is the correct link: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...herHotKey.html Your link returned a 404 not found error.
04-05-16, 02:47 AM   #22
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Here is the correct link: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...herHotKey.html Your link returned a 404 not found error.
Weird. I can't seem to make a working link on this forum. Clicking the "Insert Link" button does nothing for me except auto-populate the URL as "http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/true". /shrug
04-05-16, 07:09 AM   #23
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Could it be because you are wrapping the link in [ color ] [ /color ] tags? Or more likely, you are posting the search link, and not the actual page for the project? I'm shooting in the dark here, hoping something will be the answer.
04-05-16, 07:56 PM   #24
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

After playing around a bit with the unit frames, I'm thinking of replacing them with just the portrait circles. Try and do some decor around it that matches up with the class, or the role, somehow. Would people say the level is a relevant thing to have on the portrait? I've always felt like it is, but I also think that's a mindset of mine hanging back from vanilla days when there actually were times where you could suddenly wind up with a party member whose level actually could be a bit out of place. So I could just ditch levels on the portraits, have spec indicators, or dungeon role marks.

And then the health could just be a red overlay over the portrait, filling up, probably making the glass look cracked when the character is dead. It'd make for some compact portraits that would be readable for healing, right? I'm interested in hearing what things people consider their top interest in being aware of about a party member, whether it's their class, dungeon role, current HP, dispellable debuffs, and what information you just gloss over because it's irrelevant!

EDIT: Ohh, this is exclusively for the party frames obviously! Just realised I made it sound like I was talking about ALL the unit frames. Want actual healthbars on the center-screen unit frames. But for the party frames, compact health bars just doesn't feel like it works. It's not readable enough alongside the large-ish portraits. But at the same time I want to make the portraits to be a core part of the party frames, it identifies by character rather than class, so it feels more personal. So layering the healthbar over the portraits seems like a good shout.

Last edited by Folji : 04-05-16 at 09:35 PM.
04-05-16, 09:41 PM   #25
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Folji View Post
After playing around a bit with the unit frames, I'm thinking of replacing them with just the portrait circles. Try and do some decor around it that matches up with the class, or the role, somehow. Would people say the level is a relevant thing to have on the portrait? I've always felt like it is, but I also think that's a mindset of mine hanging back from vanilla days when there actually were times where you could suddenly wind up with a party member whose level actually could be a bit out of place. So I could just ditch levels on the portraits, have spec indicators, or dungeon role marks.

And then the health could just be a red overlay over the portrait, filling up, probably making the glass look cracked when the character is dead. It'd make for some compact portraits that would be readable for healing, right? I'm interested in hearing what things people consider their top interest in being aware of about a party member, whether it's their class, dungeon role, current HP, dispellable debuffs, and what information you just gloss over because it's irrelevant!

EDIT: Ohh, this is exclusively for the party frames obviously! Just realised I made it sound like I was talking about ALL the unit frames. Want actual healthbars on the center-screen unit frames. But for the party frames, compact health bars just doesn't feel like it works. It's not readable enough alongside the large-ish portraits. But at the same time I want to make the portraits to be a core part of the party frames, it identifies by character rather than class, so it feels more personal. So layering the healthbar over the portraits seems like a good shout.

I'm with you on the level being displayed on portrait type of layouts. You could just make a small circle for the level to be displayed within and give it a toggle for those that don't want it?

An idea with the circle only frame would be possibly to add a split ring around it with 1 side the health and other the power. Not a perfect example but here's something from zork: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...oUF_Donut.html
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List
04-05-16, 09:53 PM   #26
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yeah I was thinking that, split ring setup, so the portrait is sort of encased by a health/power display. But to be honest, I personally don't see why one would need to know a party member's power level. Yeah it's nice to be aware of when the healer is low on mana, for instance, but the healer should also kinda communicate that to the group on their own.

Beyond general awareness of your group composition, classes and roles, and the general feeling that hey I know who my teammates are, the one who needs to extrapolate the most from the party frames is kinda the healer. And what the healer needs to know is the health. So it makes sense, in my own eyes, to have party frames where the most eye-catching feature is the person's health.

Also realised that it'd easily just work to append the party member's level at the end of the name, which'd likely just be sitting below the portrait frame, heheh.
04-06-16, 03:25 AM   #27
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Make sure to read this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=45918

Currently there are 2 approaches to get it done. Both work with scrollframes. Semlar posted a really smart alternative solution that got integrated in WeakAuras lately.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 04-06-16 at 03:32 AM.
04-06-16, 12:14 PM   #28
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Rings like that really are an awesome thing! Where to properly work it into a UI layout like how this one is turning out? Heh. Honestly don't know. Been experimenting with unit frames lately. On one hand I really like the red overlay on the healthbars, it feels kind of tense in a way to watch your team go red like this. It's really attention-grabbing.

Though I'm not entirely sure if I'm won over by it. It's interesting, but they also become a bit jarring when every other unit frame has bars, and here this one comes with a red overlay over the portrait.
04-06-16, 01:28 PM   #29
Yukyuk
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I most certainly like the way you applied the red texture to the portaits.
But I can see your point when all the rest of the unit frames have bars.

Maybe display everything together to see if it works or not.
04-06-16, 03:19 PM   #30
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Folji View Post
Rings like that really are an awesome thing! Where to properly work it into a UI layout like how this one is turning out? Heh. Honestly don't know. Been experimenting with unit frames lately. On one hand I really like the red overlay on the healthbars, it feels kind of tense in a way to watch your team go red like this. It's really attention-grabbing.

Though I'm not entirely sure if I'm won over by it. It's interesting, but they also become a bit jarring when every other unit frame has bars, and here this one comes with a red overlay over the portrait.
Yeah the red isn't very appealing to myself which is why I was suggesting possibly having a ring texture around the unit frame. You could have a split ring texture for like player/target and then 1 single for every other frame you're going to be using a circle frame on. To add more attention grabbing type of stuff you could create a glow texture for threat and another for when the player gets below x% (the low hp could even pulsate).
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List
04-07-16, 04:06 AM   #31
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The answer can only be given if the purpose is clear. A healer needs way different ui elements than a tank or dps. Basically the best healer ui consists of simple statusbars with hot/shield and debuff informations and nothing else. Texture heavy interfaces are dps/tank only most of the time.

On top of that you can ask yourself: What information is really needed and has to be displayed? Which information can be left out and which will reveal in a tooltip or the like?

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
04-14-16, 12:01 PM   #32
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Went back to using proper unit frames for the party, and pushed them a little bit center-frame. It's a lot shorter than the player frame is, and the health bar is thicker. With a much narrower power bar, just to have it present without putting too much focus on it!

Also got the ToT/Pet frames in proper, woo! And decided to try something new with the bottom bar. Made it just a single bar wide, and let the bottom right bar float on top of of it. Suppose it looks a bit tidier, so to speak, to not have it span too wide?

Beyond that, experimenting with a castbar that overlays the power bar. On one hand it's kinda nice, since it looks tidy and saves space. On the other hand though, it's not near as easily noticeable as a castbar that actually pops up. Definitely want to revise that. And then maybe do unit indicators and auras next.

Also trying to think of a name for this thing. Been thinking stuff like... Ashblade, Blackblade, Blacksteel, just pluck the name right out of the dark-grey main colours and the metallic grey accents. Blacksteel has a funky ring to it, and it's also an item set in Draenor!
04-15-16, 11:06 PM   #33
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
UI Feedback! PS: It's gorgeous.

Hey Folji,

Your UI is absolutely stunning. It's by far the most elegant and intuitive UI texture overhaul that I've seen. I'm already itching to use it once it's complete. Huge amount of respect for the work you're putting in!

That said, I've got a couple nit-picky things to suggest - take it or leave it:

- I prefer the first texture used for the primary bar (the one floating below the unit frames)
- The Target of Target frame: since it's so small, maybe use a modified version of the unit plate frame texture that doesn't have any 'frills' or little jagged details - just go for a flat line on top (did that make sense....?)
- Food for thought: what if the golden contour ring for the unit frame portraits were colored by class/reaction? I think it'd be worth trying out if possible.
- Allow the primary floating action bar (and it's texture) to be adjusted between 6-12 buttons. I'd love to use your action bar with the integrated class power above it, but on most classes I only need 6-8 abilities/CDs directly below my character. If I can't adjust, I'd probably resort to weakauras, but I'd much rather not to. Your layout is prettier
- For classes with only one resource type, it might be worth making a texture for it where you would usually put combo points/chi/holy power etc. I'm thinking ahead towards legion where a lot of classes/specs are getting their secondary resource removed, and their primary resource will have much greater importance. EX: shaman/maelstrom, demon hunter/fury. It'd be nice to have those resources in a central position.
- Have an option to toggle the portrait gloss
- Include an option to change the general font
- Castbar: I wouldn't have it cover the resource bar for a couple reasons. 1) "ABC": Always Be Casting. If a caster follows that rule it will be difficult to see their resource levels. 2) it's kinda tiny. I'd say put it below the primary floating action bar.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Like I said, you have a great thing going here. Keep up the awesome, creative work. Let me know if you want me to clarify anything i mentioned - I'm on a cocktail of post-op painkillers so my head's a bit foggy. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all comes together!

Cheers, bud.
04-16-16, 04:59 AM   #34
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

I'm guessing by first action bar texture, you mean the one where the textures concave instead of convex? I thought it was pretty neat, too, but it felt too different from the rest. It was literally the only frame with that kind of a design. Not entirely done with it yet though, want to do some kind of indented texture on it like the old one had!

For the rest, it's all things I've considered, but I think I'd get around to it when I've got the core down and I start to figure out how to implement options beyond positioning in a config.lua like what I'm planning when I first release it. I kinda like the idea of having the character's main power anchored to the action bar in Legion (as well as being on the unit frame), for classes whose primary power (and not secondary) plays the decisive role. Like for the Maelstorm, I want to make a bar that goes across the top of the action bar, and as it gets more full it starts to glow and crackle with lightning! And I've been thinking for fire mages, a burning bar that drains out would be pretty neat.

Thanks again, hope you have a good recovery!
04-16-16, 12:07 PM   #35
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Of all the minor suggestions I made, the resource change I think would be the best addition. Animations, like you mentioned, would just be icing on the cake! (and also a deal breaker with regards to myself never needing another UI again)
I also agree about keeping the power on the player frame as well for good symmetry.
I think adding primary resources above the action bar for classes it works well with, and adjusting the action bar's size are the two things that I would personally love to see.

As for the texture, I'm happy to wait and see what you come up with after playing around with it a bit more

Thanks for the swift reply and keep up the awesome work!
04-16-16, 01:11 PM   #36
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I thought of another minor thing: instead of a black background for the health bars, why not use the same bar texture, only in a very dark grey? I feel like it would fit the aesthetics a bit better.
04-16-16, 03:35 PM   #37
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Couches View Post
I thought of another minor thing: instead of a black background for the health bars, why not use the same bar texture, only in a very dark grey? I feel like it would fit the aesthetics a bit better.
Well, it's not a bar texture per se, actually. They're actually baked into the unit frame art itself, because the nature of status bars is kinda fiddly and it was easier to bake it into the art than to try and work around various troubles with having textures on a reversed status bar. I could probably make some kind of status bar texture that applies to the background, though, since the texture from the art doesn't really stick to the almost-black-but-not-black colour on the bar background.
04-16-16, 04:49 PM   #38
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Oh wow, okay gotcha. Yeah, in that case adding some texture instead of black I think would really add a nice finishing touch to the frames. Definitely worth exploring.
04-17-16, 03:14 AM   #39
ObbleYeah
A Cobalt Mageweaver
yeah, i'd second that suggestion — and it's pretty easy to accomplish with a second texture or via SetBackdrop.

anyway, really impressive UI — cool to see a further rise in UIs that don't fully dismiss Blizzards groundwork, i wish i had this kind of skill for creating textures for my own interpretation.

this is probably for further down the line, but i'd recommend taking a look at fontstrings and their positions within the UI at some point, particularly the SCT + UIErrorFrame + wide variety of typefaces that i see across elements like the nameplates, unit frames, objective frame etc. etc. giving each of this elements the right spacing and context makes a ui less cluttered and easier to read (which your work already does fantastically) — and cutting typefaces down to one or two examples and settling on a title + body type that fit yr context can really help bring a unity to the entire thing.
04-20-16, 06:18 AM   #40
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yay, I've done more things!

Painted some custom dragon textures for rare/elite marking, just to make sure they'd feel in line with the rest of the art. Rares and Rare Elites both have a silver spiked wyrm on them, Elites have a golden spiked wyrm, and Bosses get a golden dragon! With wings! Talk about classic, huh? Wings are cool, but they felt too clunky to have on all elite frames (PvE endgame would be wings, wings, wings all over), so keeping them only on bosses felt like a good way to do it. Spikes are dangerous, wings are bad-ass. Of course, it's only on World Bosses and Level -1 units, so that excludes dungeon bosses. Part of me wants to do a clever thing that caches the name or ID of the bosses in the dungeon you're in and gives them a winged dragon to make them look more bossy.

Also starting to get other indicators in, like PvP icons, as seen! I also want to take these kind of frame decor a step further in the future. One ambitious plan was to do art for all kinds of specs, but that's 36 different frames and a lot of them aren't really visually iconic enough to do that. The classes, on the other hand, that's a different story! So at some point, I'm probably going to try and do some kind of portrait flair mirroring the class of the player and player targets.

Also implemented combat flagging and threat glow. The player frame gets a red edge when in combat, and the target frame's edge is threat coloured per GetThreatStatusColor(). Think it looks big enough? Trying to make them visible enough for the viewer to go "oh crap I've got aggro" without going "oh jeez get out of my face".

And more secondary resources! Got combo points in, with anticipation included; yellow dots normally, red dots (with skulls!) for anticipation charges. Going to implement all resources prior to Legion, even the ones getting removed or altered (like Shadow Orbs getting removed, Arcane Charges getting changed...). Then in the future in Legion, I want to do various cool stuff with this element. Like putting in a Combustion bar, for instance, and a Maelstrom bar that glows when it gets nearly full. Just figure out different cool tidbits for different specs, without trying to make it a full-on Aura Watch. It's not really meant to be a buff tracker as much as an integrated heads-up resource display.

And finally here's how buffs/debuffs and castbars look right now. The symmetry of it is kinda nice, anchoring it to the unit frames, but I've been thinking of maybe just making them center-positioned. Make the player's castbar slightly larger and centered just above or just below the main action bar (as suggested before and as people often do), and then put the target's castbar between the unit frames. Then I could use the space just below the unit frame for buffs and make debuffs a larger display on the right of the frame. Thoughts?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Looking for layout/design feedback!