04-26-10, 12:35 PM   #21
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

im installing it in program files lol /: its actually at 75%. O.o

04-26-10, 01:55 PM   #22
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Once it's installed it can be moved to any place else on your PC so don't worry . You can run WoW off of a USB Thumb drive if you want. I know some one who used their iPod as a HDD and played off of that.

The main problem with WoW in the Program Folder on Win Vista/7 was the UAC was causing some issues.

I patch some time back actually asked/recommended you move it out from the Program Files folder.

If the Installer you are using had the default set to the Programs Folder then a patch that you will install will probably be asking you to move it.

But glad to see you are making headway on installing WoW.

04-26-10, 02:29 PM   #23
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

i got it installed, but now i cant patch lol....

04-26-10, 02:36 PM   #24
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Also once you get WoW installed burn the WoW folder to a DVD.

This way when you want to re-install WoW all you need to do is copy the CD to your HDD. There is no need to actually "install" WoW. WoW will run just fine doing this.
Or you can use an external HDD. Either a real one, or a device that can double as one, like an iPod. Once you can get WoW installed and totally patched up, make a complete backup of your WoW folder in this way. Update it whenever a major patch is released.

After you get all of your raiding addons and stuff all set up, copy your Interface and WTF folder and store them in a different location and name it "UI_APR_26_2010" or something like that.

That way, if you have to reformat again, all you have to do is copy over several gigs of data, and away you go.

04-26-10, 03:11 PM   #25
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
i got it installed, but now i cant patch lol....

Using windows Vista/7 ?? try turning off UAC or move WoW now to another folder o prevent Windows from trying to protect it and try patching there.

UAC may be preventing the update from completing.

04-26-10, 03:16 PM   #26
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
Once you get WoW patched up and if you have space on your external, you can copy the entire WoW folder over the external. Then if you replace the HD or otherwise have to reinstall, you can just copy your archived (and fully patched) WoW install over to its new home. It will save you a ton of time and maybe some money (aka not having to buy a fresh bottle of aspirin). WoW is rather "portable" in that everything is contained in its folder (unless you foolishly install WoW in Program Files on a Vista/7 machine). This means you don't have archive patches.
Unless you foolishly leave the crappy UAC turned on if you disabled it, enjoy having WoW and the Interface and WTF folders being where you told it to install

Marth

04-26-10, 04:16 PM   #27
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

well after trying to patch it, it corrupted something, i tried to repair it said it was un-repairable and i needed to reinstall it. im back to square root.

04-26-10, 06:45 PM   #28
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
Unless you foolishly leave the crappy UAC turned on if you disabled it, enjoy having WoW and the Interface and WTF folders being where you told it to install
You're only foolish if you turn UAC off. Yes, it can be annoying - but it was made to protect the files on your computer.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

04-26-10, 08:00 PM   #29
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
You're only foolish if you turn UAC off. Yes, it can be annoying - but it was made to protect the files on your computer.
if your not going to help with the situation, please dont [;
(uac is for people that have no computer experience.)

04-26-10, 08:58 PM   #30
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Look - I wasn't trying to start a fight. I was simply telling him that going around telling people to turn UAC off isn't in any way a good idea. Consider me gone from this thread. :P

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

04-27-10, 12:13 AM   #31
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Look - I wasn't trying to start a fight. I was simply telling him that going around telling people to turn UAC off isn't in any way a good idea. Consider me gone from this thread. :P
mmk.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

04-27-10, 12:16 AM   #32
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
if your not going to help with the situation, please dont [;
(uac is for people that have no computer experience.)
Rofl, I would actually say that uac is for people that are uncomfortable with figuring out the security aspects themselves.

I have several years of computer use experience behind me but I would never claim to be an expert or 100% sure of the security protocols so yes, I use the UAC myself. Sometimes it annoys the hell out of me but I would rather be annoyed in minor areas than have something happen because I missed a vital piece of security procedure that I didn't realise

It is down to pure choice and I would neither promote UAC or demote it. I would however promote security conciousness that people can then decide how.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

04-27-10, 12:31 AM   #33
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Rofl, I would actually say that uac is for people that are uncomfortable with figuring out the security aspects themselves.

I have several years of computer use experience behind me but I would never claim to be an expert or 100% sure of the security protocols so yes, I use the UAC myself. Sometimes it annoys the hell out of me but I would rather be annoyed in minor areas than have something happen because I missed a vital piece of security procedure that I didn't realise

It is down to pure choice and I would neither promote UAC or demote it. I would however promote security conciousness that people can then decide how.
it was an opinion, again if you cant help please dont get off topic.

close my thread please.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » wow installer