08-21-07, 10:55 AM   #21
Kathinja
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation A little help, maybe?

Alright, so I downloaded AtlasLoot yesterday and I can't seem to get it to work.
I extracted the files, and moved them to my addons folder. I didn't get an addon button, so I naturally tried re-arranging things.
I tried moving all of the little subfolders around (because it says you're not supposed to have any? but I have like a bazillion) but to no avail. I got the addon button, but the addon itself just didn't function.
I also tried taking all of the files and moving them into one folder (tactfully named AtlasLoot) which again gave me an addon button but no functionality. If I could possibly get a little help on this one, it would be much appreciated. I just can't figure out what I should be doing that I'm obviously not.

Oh. If it makes any difference, I'm on a Mac.
08-21-07, 11:02 AM   #22
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Don't screw up your folder hierarchy by guessing where things should go. I don't recall how to get a "right-click" menu on a mac - it's been ages since I've been on one. But select "Extract to Here" in your choices when extracting your zip file. Then just move what it gives you into your AddOns folder.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-21-07, 11:11 AM   #23
Kathinja
A Defias Bandit
There actually isn't an "Extract to " option. I can either click it and extract to my desktop as a folder with 5 or 6 folders inside or... Yeah, no, pretty much that's it. The "Open With" option just ends up extracting everything to my desktop again. And if I do that and put the extracted folder in my addons folder, no addon button.
If I copy all of the folders from my extracted folder into the addons folder, I get the addon button with no functionality. If I put the extra folders into the AtlasLoot folder, I get limited functionality. But all of this is messing with the folder hierarchy, which I'm not supposed to do.
08-28-07, 05:16 PM   #24
Filthfan0218
A Defias Bandit

Wat Now?

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Section 3: "So, you want to use some AddOns, eh?"
(finding / installing / using AddOns)

Q: So, there's like, this addon, or something, that does this really cool thing, but I'm not going to give you a screenshot or better description... tell me what it is!

A: Um, no. We have better things to do than try to read your mind. Go browse some of the mod hosting sites listed below and you'll likely find what you're looking for (and much more besides!) Give us a detailed description and we might know what you are looking for.

Q: Where can I download some AddOns?

A: (credit to Cairenn) There are a number of Mod Hosting sites:

WoWInterface.com: http://www.wowinterface.com/
WoWGuru: http://www.wowguru.com/
WorldofWar UI section: http://ui.worldofwar.net/
Curse Gaming: http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php
ModWatcher: http://www.modwatcher.com/
WarCraftWars UI Database: http://ui.warcraftwars.com/
SwerveGaming: http://swervegaming.com/download.php

And, of course, the sticky thread at the top of this forum: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...tmp=1#post2626

Plus all of the mods that are self-hosted, most of which can be found by browsing through this forum.

Q: X mod hosting site is down, where can I get Y mod?

A: Try one of the other mod sites listed above, or do a google search for the name of the mod you want.

Q: What is the best UI?
Q: What is the best UI for <insert your class here>?

A: (credit to Cairenn) Remember that when you are asking about "the best UI", while people can point you to the mod they prefer, it is just that, a personal preference.

Person A prefers Mod/Compilation X. Person B doesn't like Mod/Compilation X, they prefer Mod/Compilation Y. Person C uses stand-alones only, and mixes and matches to get their desired result, etc and so on ...

Examples of mods:

CTMod, GyspyMod, BloodEagles Recompilation, FlexBar, Insomniax Recompilation, Cosmos, SvartenUI, UltimateUI (UUI), BibMod, Telo’s Mods, MonkeyMods, MiniGroup, Woofiest Compilation, etc, etc, etc. (Please note, this is definitely not anywhere near a "complete" list, there are many many many others. A large number of the ones I've got listed there are suites/compliations, an example listing of stand-alones would be absolutely freaking huge. The ones I listed aren't in any particular order. This is just a very small sample listing to give you an idea of the fact that there are tons out there.)

You have to figure out which one gives you the options you want, or mix and match to get what you want. Check out different mods, find what works for you.

Q: I downloaded an AddOn but I'm not sure how to get it working in-game, help!
Q: I downloaded an AddOn but it's not showing up under the [AddOns] button in the character select screen, help!

A: (credit to Cairenn) From the FAQ at WoWInterface.com:

1. Download your chosen interface

2. Extract the files to a folder on your desktop. Make sure that you "retain directory structure".

3. Open your WoW folder.

If using a PC, the typical default install path is:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft

If using a Macintosh, the typical default install path is:

Macintosh Main HD (or whatever you renamed it to, if you did)/Applications/World of Warcraft

4. In the WoW folder, create a new folder called Interface (if it doesn’t already exist)

5. Open that folder, create another one inside it, called AddOns (again, if it doesn’t already exist)

6. Open the AddOns folder

7. Copy the files from the folder on your desktop into the AddOns folder

8. Your final path should look like:

PC:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\< ModAFolderName >\< files >
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\< ModBFolderName >\< files >
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\< ModCFolderName >\< files >

Mac:

Macintosh HD/Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/Addons/< ModAFolderName >/< files >
Macintosh HD/Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/Addons/< ModBFolderName >/< files >
Macintosh HD/Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/Addons/ < ModCFolderNaem >/< files >

(where < ModAFolder > < .B. > < .C. > are the names of the actual folders that the mods create)

9. Log into game. At the character select screen, there should be an "AddOns" button in the lower left corner. Click on that. If any of the mods in the list that pops up say "out of date" or some such, choose the "Load Outdated AddOns" option.

10. Log the rest of the way into game, you should be up and running now.

Q: Um. This zip file I downloaded doesn't have any folders... just a bunch of files. What should I do?

A: (credit to Syllani) One of the files in the zip should have the .toc extension (i.e., there should be a file with a name similar to NameOfTheMod.toc). Simply create a new folder under your Interface/AddOns/ directory with the same name (NameOfTheMod), and place all the zipped files into that new folder.
Q: I have gone into the folder called "AddOns". once into this folder i seem to have 13 other folders that i did not add. They all seem to have diferent names, i did coppy the addon that i downloaded into the "AddOns" folder yet it still doesnt work. Also i cannot figure how to create a new folder. How do i do this?
08-28-07, 05:19 PM   #25
Filthfan0218
A Defias Bandit

Wat Now?

I have gone into the folder called "AddOns". once into this folder i seem to have 13 other folders that i did not add. They all seem to have diferent names, i did coppy the addon that i downloaded into the "AddOns" folder yet it still doesnt work. Also i cannot figure how to create a new folder. How do i do this?
08-28-07, 05:54 PM   #26
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If those folders are named "Blizzard_..." then the game added them, and will recreate them whenever it finds them missing.

If they aren't, then perhaps you installed your addon incorrectly. Which addon were you trying to install?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-28-07, 05:58 PM   #27
Filthfan0218
A Defias Bandit

yes they r called that. the addon is called "Atlas" i believe.
08-28-07, 06:25 PM   #28
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Did you try this?
Originally Posted by Seerah
Don't screw up your folder hierarchy by guessing where things should go. I don't recall how to get a "right-click" menu on a mac - it's been ages since I've been on one. But select "Extract to Here" in your choices when extracting your zip file. Then just move what it gives you into your AddOns folder.

11-03-07, 02:26 PM   #29
P1ck3t
A Defias Bandit
Question

I just download TomTom and I have followed the insturctions on how to install it a million times and it just doesn't seem to be working at all... once I extract the files and move them there is another folder in the TomTom folder and I don't know if that has something to do with the fact that its not working but its really really starting to confuse me... plz some one help me lol
11-03-07, 02:36 PM   #30
P1ck3t
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by P1ck3t
I just download TomTom and I have followed the insturctions on how to install it a million times and it just doesn't seem to be working at all... once I extract the files and move them there is another folder in the TomTom folder and I don't know if that has something to do with the fact that its not working but its really really starting to confuse me... plz some one help me lol

yay I decided to get rid of it and redownload it and start all over again and it actually worked this time yay!!!!!!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » The Definitive Macro and AddOn FAQ