06-18-12, 03:52 PM   #1
Billtopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Detecting multiple users of an addon in a group

I was wondering if someone had any ideas on how to detect if other people are using one of my addons (ComeAndGetIt) I have experimented with using the party member changed events and send addon message (including registering the prefix) but I am unsure of how to get the addon to decide who's addon should be the one to announce and who's should be quiet... I was looking at things like if the person is the party leader/ raid officer, addon version, and such. I was trying to figure out what info I need to keep, or not even use and what not.

I was thinking of a table of the group members( so I can see if the group indeed changes when the group changed events fire as it seems to fire randomly at times for no reason). Taking the info broadcast above and if they have a higher version, or the same version and officer then let them announce but I am not sure if I am missing something in my thoughts to implement for this to work
06-18-12, 07:37 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've pondered the idea of a mechanic like this. The problem of relying on the party leader to be the managing addon is the occasion that the party leader may not be running your addon. The easiest way to go is to incorporate a ping/response system with a random number generator. It would be wise to have the newest version moderate the other copies of your addon as it can both handle any new features and provide backwards comparability if needed for older versions. If multiple copies of the newest version are running, you can have each publish a random number, If a copy sees a higher random number posted in this phase, it shall remain quiet until reset.
06-19-12, 11:07 AM   #3
Billtopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
that is what I was thinking... that and a bunch of "keys" so the addon knows what it is supposed to do with each message it recieves

atleast I know people are thinking the same idea for doing it so I know I am on the right track

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Detecting multiple users of an addon in a group