Quantcast WoWInterface is offering Legion Beta Invites to all of our active, registered authors - Page 9 - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
05-05-16, 01:49 AM   #161
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
When this was first announced, I noticed quite a few addons that were either outdated or plain useless in the modern game getting updated to 6.2.x, which was most likely for these particular authors to match the criteria of eligibility in the original post. I hope this doesn't offend anyone who will not be eligible this time around.
On the surface, I was guilty of this to some degree, but as my addons were running fine as-is, I was a little lax in marking their compatibility. All they would've needed were ToC number updates.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)
  Reply With Quote
05-05-16, 06:05 AM   #162
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard
 
MunkDev's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
On the surface, I was guilty of this to some degree, but as my addons were running fine as-is, I was a little lax in marking their compatibility. All they would've needed were ToC number updates.
Well, neglecting an update is understandable if you're not playing the game in its current state. I think there's a distinction between updating addons to match the ToC number and updating addons that are no longer of any use. If I recall correctly, I even noticed one particular addon that went as far as calling itself a "legacy addon", just there for "legacy reasons" without any real functionality. Also, you're a very frequent poster who seems inclined to help other authors solve their problems, which I think is a desirable quality in a beta test. My rolling eyes are directed towards those who are merely fishing for an invite to play the new expansion in any way possible.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
05-05-16, 02:16 PM   #163
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
If I recall correctly, I even noticed one particular addon that went as far as calling itself a "legacy addon", just there for "legacy reasons" without any real functionality.
This moves into a gray area as marking an out-of-date addon as "legacy" leads me to believe they're promoting its use on private servers. Of which we all know is against ToS. Once in a while I do see requests for such addons, usually met with a snippet of our forum rules. Many of such responses have been mine. I would like to see measures taken against publishing addons for this purpose, but I'm not sure which direction to take for suggesting a systematic implementation of limiting factors. Especially ones that would act upon addon listings that have gone out-of-date.



Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
Also, you're a very frequent poster who seems inclined to help other authors solve their problems, which I think is a desirable quality in a beta test.
I try. I do have times though where I just don't have enough time in the day, questions asked are about a particular topic I don't have enough experience to contribute, or someone already answered and my input wouldn't add any value to the conversation. In the end, I guess this describes a lot of us.



Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
My rolling eyes are directed towards those who are merely fishing for an invite to play the new expansion in any way possible.
I recognized your intent, just adding a little anecdote to how broad the explanation was. To be honest, I was already a long-time member when the LK beta was being offered. At the time, I hadn't even considered uploading any of the random scripts I had written by then. I ended up packaging a few of them and uploaded them to be eligible for the beta key, but I was too late in signing up and my number never was called. I ended up sticking around anyway and I'm still here even though I don't have as much time now as I used to.

I recognize people will do anything for a beta key and a major reason for the join date cutoff is to prevent people from stealing addon code and creating new accounts to post them. It's very hard to come up with a computer algorithm to properly gauge how trustworthy someone is or whether they're trying to abuse the system for personal gain. I know going by the join date isn't perfect, but it's what we have.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 05-05-16 at 02:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
05-05-16, 03:53 PM   #164
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard
 
MunkDev's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
This moves into a gray area as marking an out-of-date addon as "legacy" leads me to believe they're promoting its use on private servers. Of which we all know is against ToS. Once in a while I do see requests for such addons, usually met with a snippet of our forum rules. Many of such responses have been mine. I would like to see measures taken against publishing addons for this purpose, but I'm not sure which direction to take for suggesting a systematic implementation of limiting factors. Especially ones that would act upon addon listings that have gone out-of-date.
I don't think it was actually designed for vanilla servers, just an addon that used to be relevant to the game but due to changes in API and content no longer had any purpose except for saying "this addon once did this one thing, but since that's no longer part of the API, it now does nothing. Here's an updated version that won't trigger any lua errors."

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I recognize people will do anything for a beta key and a major reason for the join date cutoff is to prevent people from stealing addon code and creating new accounts to post them. It's very hard to come up with a computer algorithm to properly gauge how trustworthy someone is or whether they're trying to abuse the system for personal gain. I know going by the join date isn't perfect, but it's what we have.
I think the join date is a good rule to deal with that to some degree, since most people are not devious enough to register an account years in advance just for the off-chance of snatching an early access pass with stolen code. The false updates was just something I noticed when this post appeared on the front page, since I've gotten into the habit of checking out the addon feed every now and then.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
05-05-16, 04:16 PM   #165
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
I don't think it was actually designed for vanilla servers, just an addon that used to be relevant to the game but due to changes in API and content no longer had any purpose...
Vanilla isn't the only game version that private servers run out there. I've seen requests for support of Cata and MoP more recently among others.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)
  Reply With Quote
05-05-16, 04:29 PM   #166
Ketho
A Molten Giant
 
Ketho's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 882
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I think it does, as long as you have game time on your account, it should be good.
In the past, this was a loose requirement. My account was inactive when I got into the Cataclysm beta.
I hope so too. I remember getting into some previous betas while my account was not active.
Even the PTR did not require an active account, for me at least.
  Reply With Quote
05-08-16, 02:39 AM   #167
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Miiru's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 138
To be honest to me it seems rather possible that the 'beta' of Legion will start with the release of the pre-patch for Legion.
__________________
◘◘ Author of MiirGui Texture Pack - [Core] [Blue] [Grey] ◘◘
  Reply With Quote
05-08-16, 05:12 AM   #168
Gello
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 488
Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
To be honest to me it seems rather possible that the 'beta' of Legion will start with the release of the pre-patch for Legion.
When the pre-patch happens all WoW clients will be patched to the 7.0 client. The UI changes would go live for everyone. It would cease to be a beta at that point. They'll get us in before then.

That said, we're looking at the pre-patch possibly happening in ~2.5 months.

Last edited by Gello : 05-08-16 at 03:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
05-08-16, 12:01 PM   #169
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Miiru's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by Gello View Post
When the pre-patch happens all WoW clients will be patched to the 7.0 client. The UI changes would go live for everyone. It would cease to be a beta at that point. They'll get us in before then.
Well the UI changes would cease to be beta but not the content The timeframe for the pre-patch was 1 month before release right? That does not leave much time for recoding addons and in many cases leveling a toon (if there's no premade 110's) to test stuff which is only possible at maxlevel
__________________
◘◘ Author of MiirGui Texture Pack - [Core] [Blue] [Grey] ◘◘
  Reply With Quote
05-08-16, 02:00 PM   #170
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
and in many cases leveling a toon (if there's no premade 110's) to test stuff which is only possible at maxlevel
Blizzard created a level 110 premade PvP server for a
lpha two months ago, but it's partially restricted.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20742614769

However, I'm pretty sure we've had max-level premades available for PvE realms at some point in the past several betas so that more content, outside of leveling, could be more thoroughly tested.
  Reply With Quote
05-08-16, 03:17 PM   #171
Gello
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 488
By the way, for historical perspective:

For BC which saw a massive change in how addons worked with the secure environment, protected API and such, and required entire rewrites of many addons, the lucky authors who got in early (thanks to wowinterface) got an invite only two months prior to the pre-patch going live. The closed beta started less than three weeks before the pre-patch went live. We managed just fine then.

The time between WotLK author invites and pre-patch was around two months too.

I can't find the email from the Cataclysm invite so don't recall how long that time frame was. For MoP (that was the Annual Pass thing maybe) it was five months. For WoD it was four months.

I don't forsee anything close to the upheaval in Legion on the scale of BC. So we're well on track to getting in early enough to get our addons working in time for the pre-patch.
  Reply With Quote
05-08-16, 03:38 PM   #172
Nevcairiel
Premium Member
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 60
It is quite likely that the official "beta" rollover happens very soon either way, they got nearly all missing features into the alpha now (which would generally qualify to cease calling it alpha), and chatter from some WoW CMs and Devs seems to point into a similar direction.

Maybe this week, maybe next, but quite certainly within this month. Maybe Watcher says something about it in the stream on Tuesday.
  Reply With Quote
05-10-16, 08:03 AM   #173
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,289
I would be intrested in that function which determines how much mana are you gonna lose, when your current cast succeeds. Someone with a beta access could snoop around? :P
  Reply With Quote
05-10-16, 10:08 AM   #174
Gello
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 488
From their legion dev update, it looks like they're targeting for the switch from alpha to beta at 2pm PT on Thursday with a big invite wave just prior.
  Reply With Quote
05-10-16, 11:54 AM   #175
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard
 
MunkDev's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 425
Just for convenience and to anyone that's interested, you can watch the developer update at this link:
https://player.twitch.tv/?volume=1&v...441&time=9m52s

The transition to Beta is the first topic that Ion brings up.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
05-10-16, 05:13 PM   #176
Dolby
PPAP
 
Dolby's Avatar
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,241
This image is being passed around... hopefully soon(tm).

Thanks for the video link MunkDev. Interesting how the perception of beta has changed and thus made Blizzard re-think when they should switch to beta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8SrGsga.png
Views:	153
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	8727  
  Reply With Quote
05-10-16, 07:04 PM   #177
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver
 
Nynaeve's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Interesting how the perception of beta has changed and thus made Blizzard re-think when they should switch to beta.

Yes, it is. I'm thinking it's how they're going to handle things in the future, as well. An internal "Alpha", a long, possibly non-NDA, invite "Alpha", then a larger-wave "Beta" when things are more polished.
If that's the case, people will have to let go of the phrase, "it's only Beta, guys!"

Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
Well the UI changes would cease to be beta but not the content The timeframe for the pre-patch was 1 month before release right? That does not leave much time for recoding addons and in many cases leveling a toon (if there's no premade 110's) to test stuff which is only possible at maxlevel
Pre-patch is generally 2 weeks to 1 month before the release. It could be slightly longer, depending on the feature, class, spec, UI, and API changes they wish to introduce in said pre-patch. This time, the pre-Patch will likely include the Demon Hunter class for those who've preordered a digital copy, so there's potentially more to get used to in the pre-patch.

Originally Posted by Gello View Post
From their legion dev update, it looks like they're targeting for the switch from alpha to beta at 2pm PT on Thursday with a big invite wave just prior.
I fell asleep right before the dev update and had to go back and watch it, but my assumption is that this wave would likely be the same wave to which Cairenn is referring here?:
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
The word I've received is that they are currently planning on a blitz invite of you guys when it actually goes to beta.
__________________
"For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)
  Reply With Quote
05-10-16, 11:39 PM   #178
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
I would be intrested in that function which determines how much mana are you gonna lose, when your current cast succeeds. Someone with a beta access could snoop around? :P
This function was found in the Nameplates system.
Code:
costTable = GetSpellPowerCost(spellID);
They just brought alpha down for the switch to beta, so I can't probe the function yet. The way the code looks, it appears to return a list of tables that contain power types and mana cost entries.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)
  Reply With Quote
05-10-16, 11:59 PM   #179
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Miiru's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
This image is being passed around... hopefully soon(tm).

Thanks for the video link MunkDev. Interesting how the perception of beta has changed and thus made Blizzard re-think when they should switch to beta.
Thats so weird. I just got my alpha invite today :O And i read that the beta will start tomorrow. Probably related. Anyone else got his invite?
__________________
◘◘ Author of MiirGui Texture Pack - [Core] [Blue] [Grey] ◘◘

Last edited by Miiru : 05-11-16 at 12:03 AM.
  Reply With Quote
05-11-16, 12:45 AM   #180
LaRIC
Premium Member
 
LaRIC's Avatar
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 22
My invite to alpha/beta came today as well. Installing it now.
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface is offering Legion Beta Invites to all of our active, registered authors

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off