03-27-11, 08:20 AM   #1
Pr0t0n
A Murloc Raider
Is this much memory normal while using nUI

Hi guys,

I am trying to improve my computers gaming performance, and was looking at the addon memory usage while ingame. I noticed that while only running the nUI core and no integrations started at 14 MB in RAM memory, and right from the start only nUI was building up his memory usage up to a max of 25 mb and now its around 14 mb again and building up.

Got a nVidia GEFORCE 9600 GT its not a superb VGA but more then enough to run games as Crysis, Modern Warfare and such.

My latency:
25ms (home)
115ms (world)

Current fps while in Storm Wind: 13 fps

The technical support of the game wasnt able to help me, so I come to the pros hehe.

If anyone has something to share, that might improve it please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings Pr0t0n

03-27-11, 08:52 AM   #2
Seer
A Molten Giant
The memory usage is normal, just the way WoW handles addon memory usage. Mem usage has little to no impact on FPS.

As for the FPS, aside from being GPU depended, it is also CPU depended. Esp in crowded places like SW.

The biggest FPS eater is shadows, you could try lowering that.

And you could try the alpha of nUI6, see if that helps.

03-27-11, 08:55 AM   #3
Pr0t0n
A Murloc Raider
Thats a very good tip thanks I am gonna try it out immediately, I will post results.

thanks again!

03-27-11, 11:36 AM   #4
Pr0t0n
A Murloc Raider
Ok, I saw I already got the video settings on low, and I could only put shadows on low couldn't find where to completely disable them though.

I also downloaded the alpha dev version of nUI which doesn't help at all. Is there anything in nUI which increases system/game performance? I also hear people talking about latency issues. I read one of the developer's post on latency and how to use it to your advantage, haven't came that far yet, but could that be a reason I get such a low framerate.

Currently I am having 3 - 4 fps and only playing now to check system performance, this is only that worse in battlegrounds StormWind runs just fine with Alpha.

Short system info:

CPU: Pentium 4, 3,2 Ghz
RAM: 2 GB
OS running: WinXP Pro

Hope it helps .

03-27-11, 12:59 PM   #5
Pr0t0n
A Murloc Raider
May it be possible that I can change some files or folders from nUI to make a very lightweight version?

03-27-11, 03:52 PM   #6
whereswaldo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

You pretty much have the same setup that I do although you have a better video board. With the Pentium 4 and only 2GB of memory, you are not going to do much better FPS wise. WoW has been reengineered to work best with multi-core CPUs.

And no, you can't "make" a lightweight version of nUI. All of the pieces are integrated and removing a piece may have serious concequences.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

03-27-11, 03:58 PM   #7
Seer
A Molten Giant
Well, if it's a real P4, it's a rather old CPU. I don't think there is much you can do to get more FPS out of WoW + nUI if nUI6 isn't helping.

How well does Crysis run on your machine ?

As for latency btw, it's how fast the game client can talk to the servers. Usually not connected to low FPS. It shows up mostly when you see people "teleport" back and forth while walking around (either that person has bad latency or you do :-p).

Last edited by Seer : 03-27-11 at 04:03 PM.

03-27-11, 06:28 PM   #8
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Pr0t0n View Post
Ok, I saw I already got the video settings on low, and I could only put shadows on low couldn't find where to completely disable them though.
Not sure if it still works or not, but you can try making a macro with this...

/console extShadowQuality 0
/console shadowlod 0
/reloadui

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

03-27-11, 08:13 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
shadowLOD was removed in 4.0.1. The best you can do is set extShadowQuality to 0 to reduce shadows to the old-style blobs. Also, you don't need to reload the UI to apply cvars, and there's no reason to make a macro; just run the command once, and WoW will save the new cvar value.

/console extShadowQuality 0

You can also reduce the density and view distance of grass/rocks/flowers/etc. below the minimum amount allowed by the Video Options panel:

/console groundEffectDensity 16
/console groundEffectDistance 32

Last edited by Phanx : 03-27-11 at 08:17 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Customization » nUI: Developer Chat » Is this much memory normal while using nUI