02-24-10, 03:07 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Moderators and Feeds and Tweaks, oh my!

We've been rather quiet of late, but that doesn't mean we haven't still been doing things on the site.

We'd like to welcome two new moderators to the site, Zyonin and Shadowed. Our condol, errr, congratu, errr, thanks guys!

Dolby has tweaked the AddOn Search. Now if there is no result on your search or if it errors, it will redirect you to the advanced search.

Also, he has added new RSS feeds for comments made on any of an author's AddOns. Authors, please see your AddOn list for an RSS link.

We've had complaints off and on about difficulty finding some of the less well known resources on the site, so I've created a "directory" of sorts for the site. Check out the "forum" entitled Who's on first, what's on second? if you are looking for something and having a hard time finding it.

As well, there have been a couple minor "controversies" that have come up on the site. We've talked to Blizzard about both of them and this is what they've had to say about them:

The first has to do with LuaSrcDiet and other forms of code compression. It is Blizzard's opinion that this falls under the "no obfuscation" rule and as such is not allowed except with specific permission from Blizzard.

The second concerned a post telling people how to create and import custom mouse cursors into WoW. In talking to Blizzard about it, they said that MPQs are part of their proprietary software and as such are not to be altered or "faked" in any way (including creating your own "new" ones). They fall under the following sections of the EULA and ToU:

From the EULA:
Last Updated July 29, 2008
WORLD OF WARCRAFT®
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

< snip >

2. Additional License Limitations.
The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the "License Limitations"). Any use of the Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard's copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

E. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
From the ToU:
WORLD OF WARCRAFT®
TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT
Last Updated July 29, 2008

< snip >

2. Additional License Limitations.
The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the "License Limitations"). Any use of the Service or the Game Client in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

Last edited by Cairenn : 02-24-10 at 03:23 PM.
02-24-10, 03:22 PM   #2
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Congrats Zyonin and Shadowed!

Too bad about the mouse cursors though... I was just thinking of doing that for my UI
02-24-10, 03:30 PM   #3
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Doooooooooom
02-24-10, 03:48 PM   #4
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Any way to get that RSS to just email the author? I know there's the email feeds and all that, but it'd be nice not to have to add every one of my addons to the list.
02-24-10, 03:49 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You know who to poke, Tekkub.
02-24-10, 03:50 PM   #6
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Dolby, bend over. Cairenn gave me permission.
02-24-10, 04:00 PM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Dolby, bend over. Cairenn gave me permission.
ROFL, I hope I did not wake up my wife.

And I am in agreement with Shadowed: DOOOOOOOM! At least if you are a spammer or troll

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-24-10 at 04:05 PM.
02-24-10, 04:01 PM   #8
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Ok but I have a steel chastity belt on.
02-24-10, 04:06 PM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Ok but I have a steel chastity belt on.
Somehow I think I could have done without that statement...
02-24-10, 05:59 PM   #10
Sythalin
Curse staff

Not being able to modify the mouse graphic is just plain silly. You can modify the look of just about every other element of the game, but with the current trend of shooting down graphic modifications (login screens + cursor so far) it's only a matter of time before they'll start banning custom art mods such as Btex and Eepanels for "modifying their proprietary interface".

BLIZZARD gave, and BLIZZARD hath taken away; blessed be the name of BLIZZARD.
02-24-10, 08:17 PM   #11
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You didn't actually give Shadowed responsibility, did you? That would be about as bad as giving me responsibility...oh, wait...

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
02-24-10, 08:45 PM   #12
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Not being able to modify the mouse graphic is just plain silly. You can modify the look of just about every other element of the game, but with the current trend of shooting down graphic modifications (login screens + cursor so far) it's only a matter of time before they'll start banning custom art mods such as Btex and Eepanels for "modifying their proprietary interface".
Those aren't done by creating or modifying MPQs. Blizz has no problems with how those are done.
02-25-10, 03:35 AM   #13
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Blizz has no problems with how those are done.
That's his point. That's just a matter of time
02-25-10, 07:28 PM   #14
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Maybe now they will add cursor support.

Congrats to the new mods ...
02-26-10, 12:04 AM   #15
d87
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

but with the current trend of shooting down graphic modifications (login screens + cursor so far)
what? someone really was banned?
02-26-10, 12:11 AM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No one has been banned.
02-26-10, 12:46 AM   #17
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by d87 View Post
what? someone really was banned?
I honestly have no clue where this is coming from. I never mentioned anything about people being banned, only that the ability to alter the aforementioned have been recently taken away.
02-26-10, 02:03 AM   #18
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Congrats Shadow & Zyonin

Remember, with great power. comes great responsibility.
-Uncle Ben
02-26-10, 10:30 AM   #19
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
Doooooooooom
Foooool Now you're going to be checking the Wowinterface Forums like a monkey on crack !
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
02-26-10, 10:33 AM   #20
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Just to confirm something here Oh Mighty Redheaded one (yes the one I keep misspelling the name on)

Is sound modifications still OK ?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...02301679&sid=1
7/15/2009 Music Distribution through UI Add-Ons

We have recently seen a number of User Interface Add-Ons that are making modifications to the World of Warcraft in-game music files and wanted to take a moment to go over some important points with the community in connection with this. While we are currently allowing Add-Ons that remove or replace existing sound files, keep in mind that it is illegal to distribute copyrighted materials, in this case in-game music and audio files, without authorization. One of the primary goals of the user interface is to allow players to customize their game experience and we hope to avoid making any modifications in the future that will prevent this.
Bornakk said that. Just wanted to confirm if sound modifications are still OK.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Moderators and Feeds and Tweaks, oh my!