08-28-15, 09:36 PM   #1
Shinzou
A Defias Bandit
"What's hot?" list should only show updated addons

I think it would be good if the what's hot list only shows addons/compilations that are compatible with the current patch. I think this would be a good incentive for authors to keep their addons updated.

Between the two lists (addons and compilations) there are seven or so items that haven't been updated since well before the current patch was released. Some haven't been updated since just after the release of WoD.

It is very possible that their download are only staying up there because they are on that list and people would be better served to be provided a list of updated addons.
08-28-15, 10:28 PM   #2
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Shinzou View Post
I think it would be good if the what's hot list only shows addons/compilations that are compatible with the current patch. I think this would be a good incentive for authors to keep their addons updated.

Between the two lists (addons and compilations) there are seven or so items that haven't been updated since well before the current patch was released. Some haven't been updated since just after the release of WoD.

It is very possible that their download are only staying up there because they are on that list and people would be better served to be provided a list of updated addons.
Whole system is really just broken. You can just spam a download and it will put it in the list of whats hot. The system just needs to be completely redone. I have mentioned it a couple times and others hate it too but I doubt it will be changed.

For example you go download a UI well if you keep spamming the download it wont count anymore. Simply because you already downloaded it and added to the downloads. look at LUI v3.. What a joke its been top for the longest because someone is just spamming the download button to keep it up there. I highly doubt a UI like that is downloaded that much. So in all fairness it shouldn't keep counting the same IP address that has already downloaded the UI for that month. The stats should reset monthly or weekly and your be-able to add to the downloads again. Hell just replace the system with a like system. Based whats hot off (what popular) off likes. Anything is better than the current system in place.
08-29-15, 07:19 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
An addon doesn't need to have one little number in its TOC changed to still work with the current patch. It doesn't mean it's been abandoned or anything.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-30-15, 12:50 AM   #4
Shinzou
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
An addon doesn't need to have one little number in its TOC changed to still work with the current patch. It doesn't mean it's been abandoned or anything.
While I do agree with you that what you say is technically correct on the first part, it is not really correct on the last part.

LUI is at the top of the list and has been abandoned on this site. It is only being updated on curse. People are even asking for updates for it in comments and being directed to curse.

Also there is a confirmed abandoned compilation sitting in the list right now. Supervillain UI (Classic) is on the list right now and the developer notes in the description that it is no longer supported and has a link to the new version.

I could go on with more examples on ones that have been abandoned but I don't think I need to.
08-30-15, 12:08 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I don't always bother with an Interface Version bump in the TOC file if my addon doesn't need anything changed to work with the current patch.

I use addons that haven't been touched for years, but still work 100% correctly.

If they're being downloaded, are popular, and still work, shouldn't people be able to see them in the "What's Hot" list? Otherwise you'll get questions like, "Addon A and B are two of the most popular addons in WoW - why aren't they in the What's Hot list?"
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » "What's hot?" list should only show updated addons