01-02-15, 10:44 PM   #1
Synchrony
An Aku'mai Servant
Mod macros & talents

Hello, hello.

I use mod macros on all my characters to group abilities by type (CC, defensives, movement, interrupts/stuns, etc.) to maintain consistency across specs and characters.

For example, my priest has:

Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Shackle Undead; Void Tendrils
to cast Void Tendrils when I press "F", and Shackle on Shift+"F". Of course, Void Tendrils is a talent, and if I decide to change which CC talent I'm using to Psychic Scream or Dominate Mind, I have to change the macro as well. I know they've recently changed talent buttons to swap automatically when changing talents, but it doesn't work in macros.

My question is, how is Blizzard changing talent buttons automatically? Is it possible to do it in a mod macro? If so, how?
01-02-15, 11:08 PM   #2
Vrul
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
Is it possible to do it in a mod macro? If so, how?
Code:
#showtooltip
/use [mod:shift] Shackle Undead; [talent:4/1] Void Tendrils; [talent:4/2] Psychic Scream; Dominate Mind
01-02-15, 11:34 PM   #3
Synchrony
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks!

However, that seems to only work when the talent is the no mod key. Can it work if the talent is using the mod key? I just tried using it on my monk and it seems to want to use the first two abilities it encounters. I may be doing it incorrectly, though.

Code:
#showtooltip
/use [mod:shift] [talent:4/2] charging ox wave; [mod:shift] [talent:4/3] leg sweep; paralysis
(Generally, I wouldn't use it this way anyway, because the talent option is the one I need access to more quickly. This is just for argument's sake.)

I assume there's an issue with trying to use [mod:shift] twice in a row?

Also, can I ask why, in your example, Dominate Mind didn't have a "[talent:]" portion?
01-02-15, 11:41 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
[condition1][condition2]
this means 1 or 2

[condition1, condition2]
this means 1 and 2

/edit:
Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
Also, can I ask why, in your example, Dominate Mind didn't have a "[talent:]" portion?
Because it's the last in the list. If none of the prior conditions are met, you want it to cast that one.

/edit2:
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Making_a_macro
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 01-02-15 at 11:43 PM.
01-02-15, 11:52 PM   #5
Synchrony
An Aku'mai Servant
Thank you, Seerah. Believe it or not, I'm not a programmer. My macro needs aren't usually too complicated, though, so I manage for the most part.
01-03-15, 09:00 AM   #6
Vrul
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As Seerah said it would need to be:
Code:
#showtooltip
/use [mod:shift, talent:4/2] Charging Ox Wave; [mod:shift, talent:4/3] Leg Sweep; Paralysis
Or you could switch it around:
Code:
#showtooltip
/use [nomod:shift] Paralysis; [talent:4/2] Charging Ox Wave; [talent:4/3] Leg Sweep
Use whichever is easier for you to understand.
01-03-15, 11:16 AM   #7
Synchrony
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks, Vrul.

I'll likely stick with [mod:shift], just because the logic of the other is still hard to wrap my head around.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Macro Help » Mod macros & talents