08-13-18, 05:58 AM   #1
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unnamed virtual node at top level error

Based on the error output as shown below I know it is somewhere within the xml files but I haven't got any unnamed frames, virtual or otherwise in my xml files. Is there any other reason people have seen this message appear ?

Edit:
Error message only seems to appear on /console reloadui and not when you first log in. Does that help identify the cause for someone ?

Edit2:
After some moving around of code and it seems to not occur now .. although it could be after the errors I am now getting ..

Code:
Time: Mon Aug 13 12:57:10 2018
Count: 6

Last edited by Xrystal : 08-13-18 at 09:37 AM.
08-13-18, 02:09 PM   #2
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If the error occurs too early in the loading process it will simply not be displayed by the default error handler, you need to use something like bugsack to capture these errors.

Without knowing what addon this is from and not having your code to work with, nobody can identify a cause for you.

Look through every xml file in your addon and every library it uses for the "virtual" attribute on a frame without a corresponding name.
08-13-18, 02:54 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
If the error occurs too early in the loading process it will simply not be displayed by the default error handler, you need to use something like bugsack to capture these errors.

Without knowing what addon this is from and not having your code to work with, nobody can identify a cause for you.

Look through every xml file in your addon and every library it uses for the "virtual" attribute on a frame without a corresponding name.

Thanks for the response.

I have checked them and all of the virtuals have names. I have 10 virtuals in 2 files, all with names. And the error initially appeared without the aid of bugsack ( I'm sure only had the one addon activated ), although I didn't realise it grabbed early ones so I will activate that, if I haven't already.

As to what I'm trying to do, is to implement a new updated version of nUI, especially considering the original is 10 years old now and all that bandaging is coming loose a bit too often and rewriting my own version will help me understand the parts I am unsure of.

So I am starting with nothing and slowly implementing different stuff. The part that triggered this message was trying to implement my own chat frame/dock manager system so that I can implement 2 dock managers. So, it may well be that what I had done wasn't what you are supposed to do, even though the blizzard code looks like you can, or I missed something in the code and then fixed it with the next block of code, or they still haven't got the DockManager system totally ready for multiple dock managers yet I've been waiting years and I thought this year they had finally finished it rofl.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that the error was what I thought, so I will just have to see if my gradual work over the next few weeks will get rid of either the errors or the idea of creating my own chat system rofl.
08-13-18, 03:37 PM   #4
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Make sure the name part of the attribute isn't misspelled as well nam="oops".
08-13-18, 04:20 PM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
Make sure the name part of the attribute isn't misspelled as well nam="oops".
That might be it .. goes along with my famous = instead of == rofl. I don't think thats it but definitely a good thing to check just in case my brain is seeing what I want
08-16-18, 12:29 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Mystery Solved ...

After totally removing the last set of frames added I still got the error ..

So, I commented out every Template and Frame segment in the XML files ...

No errors ...

Slowly went through adding templates and then the frames an XML file at a time and ...

It triggerred .. looked at that section and realised one of the 6 templates had <Frame parentKey instead of <Frame name rofl ... my mind must have filled in the gap and didn't see it as an error rofl.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Unnamed virtual node at top level error