06-02-09, 05:57 PM   #1
Roxxorsoxxor
A Defias Bandit
Side by side configuration....

..is incorrect. I know this isn't minions fault but that's part of the error message I get when i try to install minion. Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. I did some googling and I found others had the same problem, I tried what worked for some of them but im still in the dark here. Any help?
06-02-09, 08:41 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Did you see this thread? It may help.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
06-02-09, 10:25 PM   #3
Roxxorsoxxor
A Defias Bandit
I did see a C++ update on another thread and tried it to no avail. This one worked tho! Thanks very much, i finally got rid of error messages. Great lil updater.
06-02-09, 10:48 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Good to hear.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
06-05-09, 07:52 PM   #5
Hydarnes
A Defias Bandit
Have 64-bit Java and 2008 C++, but still side-by-side error

Hi guys

Very keen to start using Minion, but can't get it to install with the troublesome side-by-side error.

Am on Vista 64

Have updated to Java 64-bit, and installed VC++ 2008SP1 redistributable as recommended in this thread. However still getting the same error message (side-by-side error).

What is confusing me is - according to Shirik's instructions in this thread, when I browse to %APPDATA%\MMOUI\Minion\log.txt, I get as far as my %APPDATA% folder but only see Roaming and Local - no MMOUI folder. Have I borked my Windows profile? (Was a default install) Or should I be looking somewhere else for the MMOUI app log, to help with diagnostics?

Cheers

Hydarnes
06-06-09, 10:15 AM   #6
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The log file is from the application. That folder won't show up until you've successfully run it at least once.

Are you sure you got the 64-bit redistributable? Your link shows both.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-07-09, 11:32 PM   #7
Hydarnes
A Defias Bandit
Fixed! Installed 32-bit JRE and VC redistributable even though on 64bit Vista

Firstly, thank you Shirik. Good news - managed to get it working, details posted here to help others struggling.

I checked my Control Panel / installed programs list, and had TWO entries for Java - Version 6 Update 13, and Version 6 Update 14 64-bit. Curious - I thought I may have had two installed JREs, so uninstalled the Update 13, but then the MMOUI web page said I had *no* JRE installed. So I removed the Update 14, and tried again.

The Sun download page is particularly unhelpful, and I couldn't even find a link to *just* a 64-bit Sun JRE. I chose the only Windows JRE that I could download, and it promptly installed the x86 / 32-bit version (but it tested OK on their verification link).

I had at this time theMicrosoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package - but 64 bit edition (to answer your specific question Shirik). Tried downloading and installing MMOUI - still same side-by-side error.

I browsed to the downloaded app and tried running it, and got the same error - which told me that this "side by side" problem is not some cryptic message from the MMOUI authors, but instead a standard Windows error message.

A quick Google later suggested installing the Visual C++ redistributable again. This time, however, I chose to install the *32* bit Visual C++ redistributable ... and ... with breath held ... it worked.

Conclusion - even though I am on 64-bit Vista, I had to install the 32-bit Sun JRE, and the 32-bit Visual C++ redistributable - but this time it did work, for me at least.

Thanks guys - just did my first update in about 6 weeks - and about to log in and see what's happened to my interface

Cheers

Hydarnes
06-12-09, 12:55 PM   #8
Teek5449
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

Even better..... you do not need the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package". This appears to be needed only for installation purposes and not needed to run the Minion itself. Java is platform independent in the end anyway.

I was getting the "splash screen" error but that is due to an overly protective firewall. I then was receiving the "14001" error that has plagued some of us so I chose to just snag the installation zip from the TEMP directory and just manually paste it where I wanted to run the final application from. You have to do this while the error popup is active. I was then able to decompress the Minion to the new folder but was missing the default modules. I found THIS thread with links to the default modules and followed the instructions there to get them installed and voilla, working Minion without needing to install yet another MS application.

I have been developing with Java for years so I knew that having to use a platform specific utility for a Java application seemed a bit weird. I am also assuming that even if the linked modules become outdated that the updater will take care of that for me. Is this so I wonder? BTW... for any of those interested I an running Vista x64 with Java 32 bit. So this appears to be a common thread here. x64 is still so touchy.

Anyways good luck and forget that stupid MS crap!
06-13-09, 11:44 PM   #9
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
That workaround is not advisable. If you do not install the redistributable, you will never be able to run an executable that Minion needs to run. While this is not needed for the actual execution of the program, it IS needed for certain users when updating the program. This is to work around UAC restrictions as necessary.

This is the reason behind the OS-dependent pieces of the installer.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Side by side configuration....