09-28-07, 10:13 PM   #1
Arkive
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The Collaborative "Lets Fix Bongos" Thread

It seems the paging issue with Bongos is the biggest problem remaining, and I think the general consensus is that attempting to fix the existing Bongos might be easier then trying to recode the new one in (at least in the short term). Let's put our heads together and see what we can come up with. Below is the information I've been able to discern using some mild troubleshooting and a very limited understanding of LUA:

1) I removed my existing WTF folder, disabled ALL mods but the three Bongos mods and logged in. Tested Bongos and it still exhibits the same bizarre issues on paging. It would *seem* that one could eliminate all other mods, but I'm not entirely certain because the bongos mod has been reworked to handshake with the Mazzle mods and/or SavedVariables. For example, on an existing toon with no mods but the Bongos ones enabled I'm able to open up the settings for each bar just fine (though it won't actually change or save any changes to the settings), and just trying to open the settings for a bar on a new character with nothing but the Bongos mods turned on gives an error about a nil MazzleUI variable. It would seem the code we have to sift through is the Bongos code (not too, too bad) *and* the Mazzle code (zow, that's a lot now).

2) I sifted through the list of 2.2 changes on the UI forums and looked for the ones that seemed to warrant the most research. I found these two:

* The game tooltip now handles periodic updates directly instead of requiring OnUpdate functions in each button that might have a tooltip. Many of the related OnEnter functions now take a 'self' parameter, so AddOns will need to be updated to reflect this change.
and

The action buttons were optimized a bit for 2.2, and ActionButton_Update() is no longer automatically called in OnUpdate. If you have an action bar mod using state headers, you may want to call the new ActionButton_UpdateAction() from your button's OnUpdate.
I scoured through the Bongos code looking for cases of either. I found a lot of custom Bongos "ActionButton_Update" calls/variables, but changing any of those resulted only in errors on loadup. The "OnEnter" item was also sparsely used in a few of the LUA files, but adding a 'self' inside the parenthasees had no positive/negative affects on functionality. That still leaves the Mazzle code. I may hunt through it a little tomorrow and look for these, but I'm hoping that listing this here may cause a light bulb to go off for one or two people more intimate with that code (here's hoping it does).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any ideas or observations that can help narrow down the search (i.e. cases where it isn't a problem, and others where it is), please post them here. I will append this first post with relevent information from posters (with credit) and hopefully the sum total of our observations, code scavenging and sheer desperation will prove too much for this old Bongos mod to resist.

Last edited by Arkive : 09-28-07 at 10:15 PM.
09-29-07, 01:29 PM   #2
Wolfang
A Theradrim Guardian
Would it be easier to get Bongos2 to work with MazzleUI rather than fixing the unsupported Bongos? Not sure the answer. Bongos/Bongos2 is so movable and customizable anyway, I'm not sure how important it is to people that it be Mazzifyable.

W

Last edited by Wolfang : 09-29-07 at 02:07 PM.
09-29-07, 01:50 PM   #3
Satyricon Kakon
A Murloc Raider
cool

im not savy enough to be of any help on any of this, I just wanted to say its really cool that ppl are coming together on this.
09-29-07, 10:46 PM   #4
Wolfang
A Theradrim Guardian
Got impatient...just switched to Bongos2...all is well again.

W

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » The Collaborative "Lets Fix Bongos" Thread