11-21-07, 05:16 PM   #1
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Xi_UnitFrames

Since I am kinda bored at the moment, I have started a small project to skin the default UnitFrames and possibly extend them. So far this is my first mockup:

Target Frame

The Player UnitFrame will look similar however reversed. These UFs are going to be used with Adapt for 3d portraits.

The idea is to give a smooth clean finish to the UnitFrames without much in the way of texture and "doodads". Just a nice simple look. At this stage, frame colors can be easily adjusted, and I can make a darker version for those who desire it. Also different frame colors for Elite/Rare mobs are in the works. These UFs will use the Silver/Gold dragons for denoting Rare/Elite mobs. All Player/Target/ToT/Party/Pet frames will be skinned.

Phase 1: Finish skinning all the of Default UnitFrames. Once the skins are finished I will upload them.

Phase 2: Extending the UnitFrames to display HP/MP in seperate frames similar to Gypsy Unit Frames. I mostly will likely base this code on the current mod BUFX

Phase 3: I may look at adapting some code for 3d portraits directly into the UF mod.

Phase 4: Add support for SharedMedia and possibly class coloring. Slakah's StatusQuo and StatusColour will likely be used as models until I get my own code hacked together.

This is largely going to be a personal mod, however would like to see what the interest is for at least the skins. Major work will not likely start until I get back into WoW (likely the end of this month, depending on how much arm twisting I need to do for some cash), however if I get sufficent interest for the skins, I can upload those sooner as they will be based on the default skin and should not need much testing (knock on wood here )

Last edited by Zyonin : 11-22-07 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Midnight is not a good time for excellent spelling and grammer :(
11-21-07, 05:31 PM   #2
Tyrolit
A Black Drake

looks great

phase 3,

http://www.gameguidesonline.com/guid...tober05_02.asp

"May" help, couldnt get it working my self, but may give a few pointers
11-21-07, 07:06 PM   #3
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Very nice.

Looking forward to your work.
11-21-07, 07:56 PM   #4
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Those are awesome xinh!

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
11-21-07, 09:37 PM   #5
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Wow! Well done
Really liking that
11-22-07, 02:59 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

He he, looks like I got some more Photoshopping ahead of me. Nice to see that some folks have an interest. Once I get the image part of the frames done, I will upload em. Then I get to set up an SVN account somewhere for the code part so I can keep track of versions (and to act as a backup in case of some catastrophe). I have not decided whether I am going to use WoWAce or Google Code.

Last edited by Zyonin : 11-22-07 at 03:02 AM.
11-22-07, 03:16 AM   #7
tehdoughboy
A Murloc Raider
Looks really good. When it's done, I might use it. Keep it up.
11-22-07, 03:24 AM   #8
Chid
A Kobold Labourer
I like it too O.o
Keep up that good work~
11-22-07, 08:13 AM   #9
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
are the frames going to be that "boxey" or more smoother, rounder, more in line with the default frames?

I like the idea of the smoother ones, personally..

IMHO: the things the default frames are missing:
Mobhealth/Info support for estimated HP for targets
Debuff highlighting (curable by player)
Graphical, estimated outgoing heals (including overheals, so healers can get an idea of what their heals will hit for, while still casting etc)
Built-in Castbars for party members (in the name box, perhaps, with the spellname+target just to the right of the frame?)

If it werent for those few things, I'd be using the default unitframes, as I like the appearance of them..

partytargets are nice, but theres another addon that adds party targets to the default frames, so this mod doesn't need to do that.
11-22-07, 09:54 AM   #10
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Looking good, but one suggestion would be to keep the mods seperate maybe have a modular design instead of the "one mod fits all" approach some developers are taking.
11-22-07, 10:07 AM   #11
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It looks good in game. I got to test it right before my account time ran out

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
11-22-07, 10:37 AM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by break19
are the frames going to be that "boxey" or more smoother, rounder, more in line with the default frames?

I like the idea of the smoother ones, personally..

IMHO: the things the default frames are missing:
Mobhealth/Info support for estimated HP for targets
Debuff highlighting (curable by player)
Graphical, estimated outgoing heals (including overheals, so healers can get an idea of what their heals will hit for, while still casting etc)
Built-in Castbars for party members (in the name box, perhaps, with the spellname+target just to the right of the frame?)

If it werent for those few things, I'd be using the default unitframes, as I like the appearance of them..

partytargets are nice, but theres another addon that adds party targets to the default frames, so this mod doesn't need to do that.
The current goal is the UnitFrames are going to be more the of "boxey" look although I may do some rounding of corners. The idea is the that the UFs do not have much in the way of texturing (take a look at the default frames in a image editor). This going to more in line with the various UIs coming out..

Mobhealth info support will not be a part of this as that is alot of work and MobHealth3 has a Blizz frames AddOn that allows for support for estimated HP display. That mod will work with my mod as the base is the default frames.

Cast bars can be added with the mod Arcane Bar and this the approach I am going to take. These are going to be the default frames a bit enhanced. I am still in the planning stages and currently working on the art/texture part as without them, there is no point.
11-22-07, 10:44 AM   #13
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Slakah
Looking good, but one suggestion would be to keep the mods seperate maybe have a modular design instead of the "one mod fits all" approach some developers are taking.
This mod is still in the works. Should I include the extras it will be a modular design based on a "core" mod and "plug-ins" that can be included if the user wishes.

Xi Unit Frames Art - Just the Art packed into a Data folder that just changes the textures of the default UnitFrames
Xi Unit Frames Core - the Art and the Gypsy Mod style extension to the Unit Frames
Xi Unit Frames Extras - SharedMedia support and class coloring. This would include the 3d portraits provided I get the code down.

The Initial upload will be the Xi Unit Frames Art. Then the user just needs to add Adapt for the 3d square portraits part.
12-09-07, 06:06 PM   #14
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

I am currently using the default unit frames, with a couple of mods. The features I am looking for in my unit frames:

1. The Party Targets
2. Clear text for health / mana display
3. The ability to display deficit as well as health/mana totals like 500/1000 -500
4. A frame for the Target of Target

Simple enough I think. Just thought I would add what I am looking for.

"I will crush and destroy and...ooo...shiny..."

12-10-07, 05:08 AM   #15
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Flarin
I am currently using the default unit frames, with a couple of mods. The features I am looking for in my unit frames:

1. The Party Targets
2. Clear text for health / mana display
3. The ability to display deficit as well as health/mana totals like 500/1000 -500
4. A frame for the Target of Target

Simple enough I think. Just thought I would add what I am looking for.
Sorry about the lack of updates. I picked up a short term teaching gig, that is eating my time. I have the initial art done, I just need to get the name to the correct name format and get them in the correct folder format, zip and upload. However due to time constraints this not high on the priority list. Hopefully I get this part done this weekend, however don't count on it.

Flarin, that is what I am going to be adding in Phase 2. This is going to take a bit longer due to work and family time constraints. As anyone who has a spouse knows, the Spouse is a level ?? (at least L90) Raid Boss that you do not want to Aggro!
12-10-07, 05:33 AM   #16
Galinn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Xinh
As anyone who has a spouse knows, the Spouse is a level ?? (at least L90) Raid Boss that you do not want to Aggro!
AND NOW HE TELLS ME THAT
12-10-07, 09:27 AM   #17
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

As anyone who has a spouse knows, the Spouse is a level ?? (at least L90) Raid Boss that you do not want to Aggro!
If you have kids you can always misdirect her on them for a while. Works the same with parents if you have siblings. Can be resisted if used too often.
12-10-07, 09:35 AM   #18
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Kaomie
If you have kids you can always misdirect her on them for a while. Works the same with parents if you have siblings. Can be resisted if used too often.
Effected by diminishing returns.
12-10-07, 09:36 AM   #19
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

LMAO! Dang that's good... I smell a new sig.

12-10-07, 09:50 AM   #20
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Problem is then the kid aggros on me too. Its kind of like when you think you pull one murloc only to find his buddies were waiting in the weeds for you to "take the bait".

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » Xi_UnitFrames