06-12-11, 04:35 PM   #1
tobindax
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Smile I need code for 1 simple thing if possible, please.

I want to start learning making an addon by editing something simple that already works.

I need code that has a very simple 'window' on the screen (frame?), with 1 single number that is printed, like those you see on those 'world coordinates' addons or "speed meter' addons (a small draggable rectangle).

Also, can such a thing be restricted to lua allone? I do not want to deal with XML. I'm used to 'raw' code in C, C++, perl, bash. Never was confortable with "HTML".

I think I will probably figure out the event code that I will need to draw the number printed.
06-12-11, 05:57 PM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As far I know, the only thing that cannot be made in Lua is secure templates.

Just do a search for "coord" in the searchbox on your top right and you should find plenty of addons to play around with.
06-12-11, 08:05 PM   #3
tobindax
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Yeah I figured it's easy with lua alone. As someone with experience in 'raw code', I'm happy to see it's possible to do such things with code alone.

I heard it's also possible to only need /reload if done that way.

btw, I noticed some discrepancies. e.g. SetTextColor and SetShadowColor do not work when used globally (e.g. color does change but if it's used in AddMessage) but I don't know if it's a bug or something I missed.
06-13-11, 12:20 AM   #4
brotherhobbes
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
/reload works if you do not add additional files. Even if you have everything in .lua files, if you add a new file or change one of the file names, you'll need to restart WoW.
06-13-11, 06:58 AM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
Yeah I figured it's easy with lua alone. As someone with experience in 'raw code', I'm happy to see it's possible to do such things with code alone.

I heard it's also possible to only need /reload if done that way.

btw, I noticed some discrepancies. e.g. SetTextColor and SetShadowColor do not work when used globally (e.g. color does change but if it's used in AddMessage) but I don't know if it's a bug or something I missed.
Usage: fontstring:SetTextColor(r, g, b)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » I need code for 1 simple thing if possible, please.