06-27-11, 02:12 PM   #1
Bikther
An Aku'mai Servant

Anti-Gaming law rejected

I haven't seen much mention of this on this site but it's a bit of good news for all gamers.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...Protection.php

Video games now qualify as protected under the US first Amendment.

This is a major blow against the many groups that want any game they deem violent banned. While the primary focus of these groups are games that are excessively violent and gory, there is no telling how soon the slippery slope of censorship could claim a game like WoW.

These groups will not be backing down and will probably be putting forth more attempts to censor and ban some games.

I urge every gamer to stay informed on this issue and writing state senators to help the process of maintaining First Amendment Protection for video game.
Don't allow games to be censored or banned, stay informed and stay vocal.
06-27-11, 02:39 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Excellent news. Not an American citizen myself, but it likely would end up affecting the rest of us sooner or later. The bill was, imo, stupid - I'm glad they rejected it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
06-27-11, 04:18 PM   #3
Bikther
An Aku'mai Servant

I'm grateful I haven't heard or read about any laws like this being pushed in Canada so far, but if it happens I'll getting involved very quickly.
06-27-11, 07:04 PM   #4
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
IIRC, the law wasn't against gaming but against the sale of violent games to minors. IMO, such laws should be passed across the country. I absolutely HATE irresponsible parents buying their kids M rated games, and then having to deal with them while trying to enjoy online play.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
06-28-11, 01:48 AM   #5
Bikther
An Aku'mai Servant

This law was actually a ban on violent video games, not just a restriction on the sale of them.

Personally I support restricting games to their intended age range. There were no ESRB ratings when I was younger and there are a few games I probably shouldn't have played until I was older.
I strongly feel a law should never restrict a parents choice on what is appropriate for their child. It's better to give parents to the tools to allow them to be informed and decide themselves.
06-28-11, 07:37 AM   #6
Xubera
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I live in America, Tennessee to be exact, and if the ESRB rates a game as M )or higher) for mature, then you must be at least 18 to purchase the game. Now your parent can go to the register and buy Resident Evil and then hand it to their 5 yr old to my understanding, but as long as someone who is 18 purchases it, then its a-okay.

▲ ▲ WoWInterface wont let me triforce >.>
06-28-11, 12:37 PM   #7
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

A new law just passed in Norway, allowing the state to collect 25% more taxes on stuff like games, music and any downloadable content.

Its getting put in effect in 2 days from today :/
06-28-11, 01:14 PM   #8
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
A new law just passed in Norway, allowing the state to collect 25% more taxes on stuff like games, music and any downloadable content.

Its getting put in effect in 2 days from today :/
It sounds to me like your government is giving you guys a good excuse to pirate more.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
06-28-11, 03:18 PM   #9
Vlad
A Molten Giant

In return I really hope they improve health care, atm kind of low on doctors per person and if you need of any spesialist (replace 2nd "s" with "c") you gotta wait months unless you got insurance... point being the extra taxes better show some results!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Anti-Gaming law rejected