01-30-11, 02:58 PM   #1
igoboom
A Defias Bandit
Having seperate UI for different characters?

Here's the deal. I use a UI that I downloaded off of wowinterface(lui ui). However, for my druid, I want to use a different setup (simple, just xperl gladius quartz etc). The problem is, the UI that I dowloaded changed a bunch of interface settings, so even when I disable all my addons, a bunch of things are out of place (mainly my bars) textures/fonts/colors are different, etc.

Any possible way I can do this?
01-30-11, 03:11 PM   #2
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by igoboom View Post
Here's the deal. I use a UI that I downloaded off of wowinterface(lui ui). However, for my druid, I want to use a different setup (simple, just xperl gladius quartz etc). The problem is, the UI that I dowloaded changed a bunch of interface settings, so even when I disable all my addons, a bunch of things are out of place (mainly my bars) textures/fonts/colors are different, etc.

Any possible way I can do this?
Easiest way is to copy/paste your World of Warcraft folder to another location, so that you effectively have two copies of WoW, each with their own UI addons and settings.

With some system knowledge, you can get around it by using symlinks, but that's a bit much for me to go into here.

It's not super convenient, as you have to exit WoW, and launch another WoW just to play your other character, but it's the only real way of running two completely separate UI sandboxes.
01-30-11, 03:17 PM   #3
igoboom
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Easiest way is to copy/paste your World of Warcraft folder to another location, so that you effectively have two copies of WoW, each with their own UI addons and settings.

With some system knowledge, you can get around it by using symlinks, but that's a bit much for me to go into here.

It's not super convenient, as you have to exit WoW, and launch another WoW just to play your other character, but it's the only real way of running two completely separate UI sandboxes.
Thanks. Would just switching out Interface folders work instead?
01-30-11, 03:22 PM   #4
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by igoboom View Post
Thanks. Would just switching out Interface folders work instead?
Indeed. It should be done to both Interface and WTF folders, though.
01-30-11, 03:24 PM   #5
igoboom
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Indeed. It should be done to both Interface and WTF folders, though.
Alright thanks a lot for the help.
01-30-11, 04:09 PM   #6
bknab
An Aku'mai Servant
The alternate method using symlinks that Nibelheim spoke of is described in detail here.

This method saves A LOT of space, and is very much worth the short time investment.
01-30-11, 07:13 PM   #7
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I read the article on NoStockUI as previously linked to when it was first published, and have used it several times since. Eventually, I needed to do the same thing on my laptop, which is still running Windows XP, and the command line instructions given in that article didn't work on a pre-Vista OS, and so I was forced to find an alternative. What I found was a freeware program called Junction Link Magic. Not only does it work in XP as well as Vista or Win7, it also simplifies the process of creating symlinks if you don't feel comfortable with a command line.

So, basically what I do now is if I've got c:\WoW folder, I make a c:\WoW(Druid), and then copy all of the files but none of the folders inside the first folder to the second. Then use the program I linked above to create a directory junction from c:\WoW\Data to c:\WoW(Druid)\Data. At this point, the new WoW folder for your druid is still missing about 6 folders that the original has. That's OK! Just run WoW.exe from the druid folder, and log into your druid. It will create automatically all the rest of the folders with exactly what you need in them, including Interface and WTF folders. Then log out, add in whatever custom addon files you need, and you're golden. Just create a shortcut to that wow.exe, label it Druid, and use that to launch WoW whenever you are playing your druid.

That said... I've found it tremendously lightens the burden of attempting to learn multiple classes and multiple specs to keep as much of my interface the same across all my toons. It's more complex to figure out how to set it up, but is very much worth it to me. I mean this to the point where my mount button is the same for every character, every character that has an interuppt on a 10s cd is bound to the same key, class-specific buffs are all bound to the same key, etc. I really think that's the way to go.

Good luck, and let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
02-02-11, 10:52 PM   #8
Legomannen
A Murloc Raider
First: Go to addon when you log on, then chose which addons you want to have active on each character. Then download an addon called reflux, reflux basicly saves settings for you, so if you create a setting called /ui, then and a setting called /ui two, it would enable you to swap ui's fairly simple by just enter the command to toggle a different setting.
02-03-11, 05:45 AM   #9
Hlaku
A Kobold Labourer

I should note one caveat from my personal experience trying to run multiple UIs at one point. Your keybinds are saved on server side so you'll have to use the same action-bar addon for both UIs to be able to run them without rebinding keys every time.

For example, I tried running RealUI (which I love) alongside ElvUI (another excellent UI) but they both use different action-bar addons. The easier solution to that was to disable ElvUI action bars and use the Bartender4 addon for both.

Now that I think about it, I didn't try the character specific keybind option. That should also work if it is available in both UIs.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Having seperate UI for different characters?