10-04-15, 07:27 PM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Unhappy Warning: Profiles vs Warehouse

Maybe I'm just unlucky and the only person this happens to?

Today I loaded up one of my chars which I hadn't played in quite awhile and I noticed that the screen layout wasn't like most of my other chars. So, I looked at Carbonite-Profiles and noticed 3 profile names in that char's list. (The other Tabs on Profiles are "greyed-out" and non-selectable. No way to "Copy an existing profile from one of my other chars). One of the 3 profiles was of course the "Default" one. So, I chose one of the other ones and made the changes to it so that it looked like all my other chars. That made sense to me.

To my utter dismay, changing that one profile on that one character wiped out all Warehouse data on all of my char's across 5 realms! No characters were listed! I had to visit each one of them, take them to their banks, open the banks and the reagent banks for each of them. It took me several HOURS to do that.

I'm mentioning this so that nobody suffers what happened to me by using ANY Profile setting.

Maybe this happens only with the latest DEV version? I have no idea. There should have been a warning on the forums. Now, there is one.

Last edited by Kreelor : 10-05-15 at 09:20 PM. Reason: fixed type: changed "an" to "and"
10-05-15, 04:26 AM   #2
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As Rythal said someday Profiles Tab is work in progress so it may not work as it should. But good to know what not to do. Thanks Kreelor.
11-12-15, 03:17 AM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

So, I guess your vague reply means that Rythal still intends to work on it?
One of you claims that even if Rythal gives up, you supposed experts can continue to make this addon progress.

Note; I edited out some of my own post (this #3 one). It wasn't suitable for public consumption.

Last edited by Kreelor : 11-13-15 at 03:45 AM. Reason: removed my own improper wording.
11-12-15, 07:05 PM   #4
Clamsoda
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn development is a hobby, and donations are at the will of the donor. If you don't like the AddOn, then don't use it. Your toxic attitude certainly does nothing to encourage someone to continue trying to update the AddOn.

You seem to lose a lot of sleep over Carbonite. Maybe it is time you stopped using it.

I think you, the community, and the developers will be a lot happier that way.
05-28-16, 12:26 PM   #5
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Profiles issue workaround - Don't Reload

Sorry for the Necro, but I found this post while looking around for new posts since my last visit.

The workaround that prevents resetting Carbonite is choose "Cancel" instead of "Reload UI".

Here is how I finally got all of my alts to start with my preferred basic settings and then copying from one alt to another.

Once you get your favorite settings in order, go to the "Profiles" in Options. If it shows "Default" change it to the alt you are presently on, but do not let Carbonite reload your UI.

Then, log out of the game and back in and check to see if the profile setting shows "youralt-yourrealm". If it does, then you successfully created your personal profile that will become Carbonite's default setting when you switch alts.

Now log out and log into another alt, where you may or may not get Carbonite's default load up behavior. Once you are loaded up, go into profiles which should be at "Default" again. If it is, good because that's what we want for now. If not, change it to "Default" but again don't let Carbonite reload UI. Now, use copy to import your preferred settings from the alt you started with but again don't let carbonite reload. Then log out and back in. The settings you copied from the first alt will take affect when you log back in.

At this point you have now changed Carbonites default settings to your preferred default settings. So now when you log into or create a new alt, Carbonite will load your default profile instead of its "out-of-box" default. From here you can tailor each alts specific settings from your personal default profile.

So the next step after making the necessary changes specific to your new alt, is to change the designation from "Default" to the one named for your new alt and realm but cancelling reload.

Once you have set up all of your alts with their own profiles, back up your "savedvariables" folder in case you need it to get your settings back if you lose them again.

Again I apologize for the Necro, but until the profile settings can be fixed this is the best way I have found to avoid spending more redoing my Carbonite settings rather than playing WoW.

I hope this helps.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Dev Talk » Warning: Profiles vs Warehouse