01-31-16, 04:03 PM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
What I want to do...

Been playing several toons, enjoying the actual WoW life, seeing what I enjoy doing and not, and thinking to myself personally what would help make Carbonite better...

This thread is not to talk about any bugs currently, but quality of life improvements... Or even things I should remove all together. The last time I sat and did this, I didn't really ask anyone else their opinions, I just went ahead and implemented auto selling and auto repair into warehouse because I had yet to find one that suited what I wanted

Some Current Thoughts:

Tracker ->
It started out as a proof of concept to show how the modularization of Carbonite worked, and for me to test that writing something from scratch would integrate without problems. It hasn't been kept up to date (as aparent, it's still not 6.2) but instead of making it just 6.2, or 7.0 I want to expand it.

1) Add a tracking window, similar to the quest watch one in appearance, what it will contain to follow
2) Expand what it tracks, currently I was playing with pet battles... and the pet tracker addon is very well done, but it's doing too much with no options to turn parts off... personally I don't want the icons on the map, nor do I want the zone list to show things I'm not going to get.. such as trading card, or archeology... I want a separate window, that just shows me which pets I don't yet have and can battle to get
3) Along the same line, I want it to track other things, such as my weekly invincible or mimron's head chance kill, my thunderfury bindings, etc etc... I want to track not just level 100 current tier stuff, but collectable things that are rare and you may use multiple chars per week trying to get it.... all within a small quest watch style window for the character your currently logged into, preferably with buttons to change between what your looking at / tracking.

Quests:
They are out of date, I know it, you know it, we all know it... I want to fix that, but my knowledge of web scraping is nil, so for that I need outside help

Routing:
Carbonite is actually better at routing then I ever gave it credit for, but I want to expand on it. Adding the missing portals, adding hearthstones / garrison stones, Having the flight map actually show you the recommended flightmaster in some way, not just tell you fly to xxxx and leave it to you to hover over them and find the right one.

Bugs:
Yeah yeah I said I wouldn't talk about bugfixing... but I can't just ignore them, and any huge game breaking or addon breaking bugs need to be looked at.

So have at it... lay it on me... let me have it.... and try to be gentle to anyone who does respond, nothing is a dumb idea, or shouldn't be discussed or talked about.
01-31-16, 07:26 PM   #2
rlp122
A Defias Bandit
First off, thank you VERY much for producing Carbonite. I have been using it for a long, long time and it is my favorite map addon by leaps and bounds.

Map zooming - some way to keep the overlay legend from disappearing as I zoom in. I don't always want to see details, sometimes I am looking for the name of a place. A Shift, Control or other zoom modifier would be awesome!

Map Area Lock - A method to lock in an area on the map and keep the map from following me. Most of the time I like the auto follow feature, but once in a while I want to place a marker and have it stick to that location and not move the map. I know I can turn off "Follow You", but if I close the map and re-open it it re-centers on me instead of where I left it.

Weekly tracker - Add Cataclysm, Wrath, Burning Crusade and Classic Raid support for those of us who are severely behind on achievements and mounts.

Edit:

One issue, not sure which addon is causing the issue: Archy and Carbonite are not playing well together since the last update. The digsite windows for Archy won't show up unless I turn off Carbonite.

Last edited by rlp122 : 01-31-16 at 07:50 PM.
02-01-16, 10:45 AM   #3
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
<SNIP>
Quests:
They are out of date, I know it, you know it, we all know it... I want to fix that, but my knowledge of web scraping is nil, so for that I need outside help
<SNIP>
I would not advise web scraping as the best way to get quest information.
02-01-16, 11:10 AM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Nimhfree View Post
I would not advise web scraping as the best way to get quest information.
It isn't ideal in the long run, nor meant to be the way to always keep things up to date. But the current database while it has some Cata, MoP, and WoD is still largely built on pre-cata information, many quests were removed, some added, chains changed, along with an outdated system where the NPCid Carbonite knows, is not the real ID. It's either scrap everything and start over using submissions, or scrape to clean the entire thing up then move to submissions going forward.

Ideally there would be some sort of API somewhere, but no one provides such.
02-02-16, 02:09 AM   #5
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

It isn't ideal in the long run, nor meant to be the way to always keep things up to date. But the current database while it has some Cata, MoP, and WoD is still largely built on pre-cata information, many quests were removed, some added, chains changed, along with an outdated system where the NPCid Carbonite knows, is not the real ID. It's either scrap everything and start over using submissions, or scrape to clean the entire thing up then move to submissions going forward.

Yep there is no such API. Also there are many problems with scrapping but i manage it to work. So i can scrap whole database again, no problem (plus new realNCPids). It isnt perfect but better to start with this than with nothing. The question is, should i scrap data with new realNPCids in quest database + new NPCids table or leave it the old way?

Also i can scrap other data from wowhead/wowdatabase like vendors etc. but this is not ready yet.

Recording quest data is in carbonite and it works... so thats for the future. I did some application to autoupload this data but its not working great (got no time for fix).

Last edited by ircdirk : 02-02-16 at 02:24 AM.
02-02-16, 02:31 PM   #6
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
should i scrap data with new realNPCids in quest database + new NPCids table or leave it the old way?
Yes the NPCId's in the quest files should match with the new NPCTable that uses the real ID's.
02-03-16, 11:55 AM   #7
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Yes the NPCId's in the quest files should match with the new NPCTable that uses the real ID's.
Ok, now i know everything... i need sometime for this... i think i can manage to dump this till next week.
02-04-16, 05:14 AM   #8
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

*snip*
It's been suggested in the past to utilize an addon like Grail which has been specifically created from the ground up to be a database of quest information. And it gets updated very often.

The very first line of Grail's description reads:
Grail is a library of quest information designed to provide that quest information to other addons to make their decision processing easier.
On a similar note, using something like Grail, would the Carbonite_Quests module be able to be standalone and not require the maps? I've always loved the Carbonite Quest Log and it's abilities, but for my purposes the maps and other features are now overkill. I was thinking something along the lines of the old Questhelper addon. It could replace the original quest log and calculate all the most efficient pathing, turnin order, etc and all while using Blizzards map system.

Last edited by Vis : 02-04-16 at 05:30 AM.
02-05-16, 06:44 AM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
It's been suggested in the past to utilize an addon like Grail which has been specifically created from the ground up to be a database of quest information. And it gets updated very often.

The very first line of Grail's description reads:

On a similar note, using something like Grail, would the Carbonite_Quests module be able to be standalone and not require the maps? I've always loved the Carbonite Quest Log and it's abilities, but for my purposes the maps and other features are now overkill. I was thinking something along the lines of the old Questhelper addon. It could replace the original quest log and calculate all the most efficient pathing, turnin order, etc and all while using Blizzards map system.
The issue with Grail has always been the same, it contains quest information but not objective information, so using it I would not be able to provide the quest blobs of objectives. The WoW client itself does do this now, but it is only your current tracked quest, so if you have 3-4 quests in the same spot you would not know it with the single blob, compared to carbonite's showing multiple blobs.
02-05-16, 09:32 AM   #10
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Therefore, a logical extension to Grail would be Grail-Blobs. :-) It could show quest objective information. As a loadable module it would only need to be used by those that want it. Grail does this with some other types of information that not all would want. I always thought the biggest limitation is the perception that its large size would cause problems in performance, which I have not found to be the case.
02-05-16, 02:55 PM   #11
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

The issue with Grail has always been the same, it contains quest information but not objective information, so using it I would not be able to provide the quest blobs of objectives. The WoW client itself does do this now, but it is only your current tracked quest, so if you have 3-4 quests in the same spot you would not know it with the single blob, compared to carbonite's showing multiple blobs.
And there is no way of getting this blob data to draw it on other map.

As to Carbonite maps it has many advantages to normal blizz map and i would never give it up. There is no comparing to poor blizz map abilites.

Grail is ok, but there are many data that we dont need. Additional objectives data take a lot of space. Also as i know Rythal doesnt want that Carbonite will depend on other addons. Im thinking of using Grail to get some basic data like (id, npcid, lvl...) and then scrap objectives from wowhead.
03-15-16, 08:44 PM   #12
Kreelor
A Firelord

Hi Rythal,

Here's a portion of what you wrote in your original post:
[start clip]Been playing several toons, enjoying the actual WoW life, seeing what I enjoy doing and not, and thinking to myself personally what would help make Carbonite better...This thread is not to talk about any bugs currently, but quality of life improvements...[end clip]
I'm glad you're having a chance to enjoy the game a little bit more. That's like an artist who stands back and takes a look at his/her painting to admire the handy-work put into it.

I'd like to request something that may not help others but, it would certainly benefit my "quality of life" in the game, if you added it.

I'm not using the Carbonite-Quest Module currently and I believe it's the only place that users can find the "Server Reset Time." I play characters on several different realms (in different Time Zones) and I'm always trying to figure out when the reset will occur. I don't know if calculating and displaying that for each different Time Zone (relative to the char I'm playing at the time) can be done, or not.

Do you suppose you might be able to add that under the Carbonite/Options/General section so that it is outside of the Quest Module? Hopefully, you can make it a new Option which can be toggled On/Off. Also, it would be nice if that line of text was "move-able/lock-able" just like the "Punks" thing is move-able/lock-able now.

If you can't or, if you don't want to, that's OK with me. It's just a suggestion.
04-19-16, 06:59 AM   #13
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

As of a post made July 11 2015, server daily resets across the US region happen at 03:00 PST, so adjust for the timezone your particular server is in, to know when the reset happens.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Dev Talk » What I want to do...