10-02-16, 09:47 AM   #1
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Arrow READ THIS: The future of Carbonite

As u can read in this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54495 Rythal has stepped back in developing Carbonite.

Carbonite is now Community Developed.

We dont have access to official Curse and WowInterface pages so we can post updates there, maybe in the future that will be possible if Rythal will give rights to this pages to Community of developers. If this will not happen, we might have to change Carbonite name and make it separate addon developed by community with new Curse, WowInterface, GitHub pages. But we strongy belive that Rythal will be willing to add access.

As of now Carbonite, fixes, new features are only available on GitHub: https://github.com/mikepauer/Carbonite.

Many fixes and new features may be in testing stage but when they are stable and tested there will be new release on Releases tab: https://github.com/mikepauer/Carbonite/releases. I will add for those Releases new thread on this Forum.

Another thing is Bug/Issue reporting here on forums. Its a little bit mess and chaos so ill add thread with Bug/Issue reporting Template.

Thats all as for now, stay cool and safe
10-03-16, 05:02 AM   #2
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
As u can read in this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54495 Rythal has stepped back in developing Carbonite.

Carbonite is now Community Developed.

We dont have access to official Curse and WowInterface pages so we can post updates there, maybe in the future that will be possible if Rythal will give rights to this pages to Community of developers. If this will not happen, we might have to change Carbonite name and make it separate addon developed by community with new Curse, WowInterface, GitHub pages. But we strongy belive that Rythal will be willing to add access.

As of now Carbonite, fixes, new features are only available on GitHub: https://github.com/mikepauer/Carbonite.

Many fixes and new features may be in testing stage but when they are stable and tested there will be new release on Releases tab: https://github.com/mikepauer/Carbonite/releases. I will add for those Releases new thread on this Forum.

Another thing is Bug/Issue reporting here on forums. Its a little bit mess and chaos so ill add thread with Bug/Issue reporting Template.

Thats all as for now, stay cool and safe

How can an individual hijack a Public Domain addon, preventing someone else to supercede their abrupt departure? This very important addon should not be held hostage by someone who cannot/will not endeavor to update it appropriately and in a timely manner.

Is there no one willing and capable to commit time and energy to keeping this historic, unique, and valuable addon alive? I can't even imagine playing WoW without a working Warehouse Module!

NOTE: My following comments are not related to the "Legion" expansion. They are related to only a few of the basic, core functions of the original Carbonite addon.

If nothing else, maybe some "Super-Guru" at programming can figure out better how to fix the problems with the CABONITE MAPS (Core Program). The "Fog of War" aspect is totally broken in the current Carbonite Maps, although it used to work years ago. Also, locating minerals/herbs is broken. They can't be viewed across zones and still cannot be "Routed" successfully even in their local areas (which is absurd). The game locks/freezes whenever trying to assign a route to them.

Carbonite PROFILES is STILL dangerous and a broken issue. It has never been fixed! These are just a few of the things which should be fixed.

I don't expect anyone to do anything about these issues. I'm only hoping that some kind-hearted, ethical person with friendly, literate communication skills will find joy in bringing joy to many other people.
10-03-16, 05:34 AM   #3
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

Hi,

Now I can understand why Rythal has given back the Addon to Com,

Kreelor I cannot understand why you always make efforts knocked back by your Comments

We all have jobs to do and maintain the addon in our spare freetime it is not as in the beginning of Carbonite that someone wants to live from the addon because of Blizz policy to do not pay for addons.

Yes we know about the Issuses

and it is worked at the addon

You can share your thoughts with us and can help

But as I know from previous disscussions

you want it updated on Curse because you even have no efforts to learn how to put it in your addon folder from github and as always yesterday with all fixes

Carbonite is an great but big addon
which cannot maintained by a superguru in spare freetime

what we try after Rythals statement to give back to Community
is to find some developpers to spend freetime to develop Carbonite
Ircdirk develops Questmodul at the moment, I'm make the translation part and will begin to add data for Innkeepers and postal,

we know there are many things to do and they cannot done by one person in a second

You should be graceful that there are Persons who do the Parts.

Greetings Samyonair
\___________________________________________________
Carbonite Translation Team Member; Carbonite Forum Mod
10-03-16, 07:46 AM   #4
Tokoz
A Murloc Raider
The word you're looking for, samyonair, is "troll".

And it's best not to feed them.
10-03-16, 07:48 AM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Hijack? If I wanted to Hijack I could delete my github account and poof all gone besides what people had stored locally. I could mark the addon abandoned at which time curse would stop offering it.

I stepped back, I am not gone. All I did was force to happen what I have been wanting to happen, and saying I wanted to happen for years, a group of people to step forward and help work on it instead of everything landing at my feet... by saying I quit, several people have stepped forward now and are doing wonderful things, so I started doing my own updates again to other parts they were not working on.
10-03-16, 08:03 AM   #6
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Hijack? If I wanted to Hijack I could delete my github account and poof all gone besides what people had stored locally. I could mark the addon abandoned at which time curse would stop offering it.

I stepped back, I am not gone. All I did was force to happen what I have been wanting to happen, and saying I wanted to happen for years, a group of people to step forward and help work on it instead of everything landing at my feet... by saying I quit, several people have stepped forward now and are doing wonderful things, so I started doing my own updates again to other parts they were not working on.
Dont let this guy uppset you. He only writes what he thinks and this is his opinion.

Developers want to work on Carbonite, but also needs more access. So are u willing to give developers access to Curse and WowInterface pages? We wrote about this several times... please write us back.
10-03-16, 08:27 AM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Dont let this guy uppset you. He only writes what he thinks and this is his opinion.

Developers want to work on Carbonite, but also needs more access. So are u willing to give developers access to Curse and WowInterface pages? We wrote about this several times... please write us back.
I want to have a general meeting with everyone, we just need a time and a place.. whatever is easiest for people be it irc, discord, slack
10-03-16, 08:36 AM   #8
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I want to have a general meeting with everyone, we just need a time and a place.. whatever is easiest for people be it irc, discord, slack
IRC is easiest since there are online clients for that. We need server name, channel and of course WHEN.
10-03-16, 09:46 AM   #9
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Kreelor == troll. Wish that /ignore would work on forums. I see no mention of hijack or anything nefarious in any of Rythal's comments. He needed a break. I am working on warehouse, on my own fork, and I will try to keep everyone updated, as to progress. I think the script issue ties to the auction search frame that is used to query what your characters have. I will see about a custom search, that works independent of blizzard. Like Rythal and others on here, I do have a family, and run a computer business. I will devote as much time as I can, without taking away from family or other obligations. Rather than whine about changes in the development, learn LUA and lend a hand, if you can.
10-03-16, 01:09 PM   #10
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

IRC is easiest since there are online clients for that. We need server name, channel and of course WHEN.
We can use https://kiwiirc.com/client with channel #Carbonite... so then is just WHEN. Rythal please propose date and time (i think weekend will be better for every one).

Last edited by ircdirk : 10-03-16 at 01:11 PM.
10-04-16, 08:17 PM   #11
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Svegan View Post
Kreelor == troll. Wish that /ignore would work on forums. I see no mention of hijack or anything nefarious in any of Rythal's comments. He needed a break. I am working on warehouse, on my own fork, and I will try to keep everyone updated, as to progress. I think the script issue ties to the auction search frame that is used to query what your characters have. I will see about a custom search, that works independent of blizzard. Like Rythal and others on here, I do have a family, and run a computer business. I will devote as much time as I can, without taking away from family or other obligations. Rather than whine about changes in the development, learn LUA and lend a hand, if you can.
Thank you Svegan for your encouraging words. At 71, it is not impossible but, highly improbable that I will have the time to learn LUA to the degree that you and others have achieved. When I used the word "hijack," that was probably a mistake in wording on my part. What I meant was that those remaining users with skills to fix outstanding issues may be hampered by not having the authority/permission to modify the Carbonite addon since Rythal has not handed over his "Maintainer" status to anyone else. I'm only concerned about the future of this wonderful addon. Simply that.
10-05-16, 07:04 PM   #12
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Age should never be the reason or excuse to never learn new things. I am 54, working 16 hour days building and servicing computers. I own my own business, and when work is slow I take that as a chance to add LUA to my skill set. I am by no means an expert, yet, but I did not bemoan my age as a reason not to move forward. God is the only one who knows our end, and we waste what we have been given, by not trying to better ourselves in all areas. I work out at 05:30 4 days a week, take time to reflect on what is ahead of me for that day, and see what I can grow into by building on past experiences. The brain is a muscle, and exercising it with mental activity has been clinically shown to protect from onset of all types of neurological disorders. I am also excited to be involved in a project like this, and hope my contributions count toward a greater goal, of giving back to a game that has given me income, and time with my family. My wife and son also play, and my daughter is thinking about joining us in game also. She is a miracle, as a high functioning autistic adult. To meet her, you would not think she has any sort of disability, because she never gives up or refuses to learn new things. No excuses for her. This post is longer than I intended, and I hope it clears up any questions about this addon and the direction it is going.
10-06-16, 08:16 AM   #13
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There are a lot of knowledgeable authors on WoWInterface that could probably contribute, but to me it seems like almost nobody even dares to get involved with it
I personally never used Carbonite, but it looks like a very big and complicated project and definitely would be a lot of work to update and maintain it

There could still be a possibility for funding it with Kickstarter or Patreon looking at other projects, but maybe that would only help if there's one author taking all of the responsibility (and money), instead of a team doing it for free
10-06-16, 05:08 PM   #14
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Svegan View Post
Age should never be the reason or excuse to never learn new things. I am 54, working 16 hour days building and servicing computers. I own my own business, and when work is slow I take that as a chance to add LUA to my skill set. I am by no means an expert, yet, but I did not bemoan my age as a reason not to move forward. God is the only one who knows our end, and we waste what we have been given, by not trying to better ourselves in all areas. I work out at 05:30 4 days a week, take time to reflect on what is ahead of me for that day, and see what I can grow into by building on past experiences. The brain is a muscle, and exercising it with mental activity has been clinically shown to protect from onset of all types of neurological disorders. I am also excited to be involved in a project like this, and hope my contributions count toward a greater goal, of giving back to a game that has given me income, and time with my family. My wife and son also play, and my daughter is thinking about joining us in game also. She is a miracle, as a high functioning autistic adult. To meet her, you would not think she has any sort of disability, because she never gives up or refuses to learn new things. No excuses for her. This post is longer than I intended, and I hope it clears up any questions about this addon and the direction it is going.
Well, you still seem to have an inflated ego of self-importance still intact. Give it another 17 years until your health becomes more of an issue than you suspect now.

You wrote:
"The brain is a muscle, and exercising it with mental activity has been clinically shown to protect from onset of all types of neurological disorders."
I'm sure you, nor none of the rest of you, realize that's one of the main reasons my playing WoW is important to me. I have chosen this game because it requires me to utilize my brain, constant decisions, and so many other mental processes. It even helps strengthen the dexterity in my painful, arthritic hands and wrists. I am basically home-bound and bedridden due to a few illnesses (which I won't mention here). However, when certain addons become baffling and unworkable, the frustration involved in getting simple, decent support is discouraging and fatiguing. I've had 4 family members die with complications caused by Alzheimer's Disease. I'm doing my best to keep my brain active as long as I can. This game, when it's working, helps me (hopefully). Criticism, ridicule, and name-calling does not help. Yet, that's what most people on this forum do instead of fixing code (which they claim they are expert at!). So... you're busy. Aren't we all? Well, I guess you ALL have been too busy for a few years since that's the last time an official RELEASE of Carbonite "Master" has been available. And, I'm not talking about somebody merely changing one line of code once-per-year to make it have the "appearance of a newer version" in the TOC. That's only a gimmick and doesn't fix all the things which have remained broken for YEARS!

I don't now nor have I ever expected "miracle" instantaneous fixes to LUA code. My complaints have always been about the lack of pertinent, frequent, and honest communication. None of you seem willing to understand that nor accept that as truth. That's your problem!
10-06-16, 08:04 PM   #15
Tinibree
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post

How can an individual hijack a Public Domain addon, preventing someone else to supercede their abrupt departure? This very important addon should not be held hostage by someone who cannot/will not endeavor to update it appropriately and in a timely manner.

Is there no one willing and capable to commit time and energy to keeping this historic, unique, and valuable addon alive? I can't even imagine playing WoW without a working Warehouse Module!

NOTE: My following comments are not related to the "Legion" expansion. They are related to only a few of the basic, core functions of the original Carbonite addon.

If nothing else, maybe some "Super-Guru" at programming can figure out better how to fix the problems with the CABONITE MAPS (Core Program). The "Fog of War" aspect is totally broken in the current Carbonite Maps, although it used to work years ago. Also, locating minerals/herbs is broken. They can't be viewed across zones and still cannot be "Routed" successfully even in their local areas (which is absurd). The game locks/freezes whenever trying to assign a route to them.

Carbonite PROFILES is STILL dangerous and a broken issue. It has never been fixed! These are just a few of the things which should be fixed.

I don't expect anyone to do anything about these issues. I'm only hoping that some kind-hearted, ethical person with friendly, literate communication skills will find joy in bringing joy to many other people.
This comment is the prime example of why Rhythal stepped down. This attitude is a big part of why. I don't care if you're the oldest living person on earth, that does not give you the right to be this entitled. I've been watching the forums and your posts for ages now, you need to stop. God. he's one guy that stood up when the creators said "We're done, sorry, best of luck." a FAN that took up the mantle to try and fix it. How would you feel if you decided to try and fix something for people and they responded like you do? Being old is not an excuse to be a dick. But let me go ahead and dissect this, I'm bored and want to type.

I mean, do you not realize that's the only reason this things been updated since...like Cataclysm? I admit I don't remember exactly when the original people dropped it but its been at least a couple expansions. If he hadn't stepped up and uh... 'hijacked' this addon, it would be 400% broken. It would not run at all. You should be thanking him for what he has done, not shitting on him. It's not even kinda held hostage so I'm just laughing so hard at that. Rythal didn't want to make any full updates (uploaded to websites) until he had fixed the whole addon, which honestly I still find amazing, in a good way. He pretty much rewrote the whole thing you remember? God he said he's stepping down, not that he's going to delete it's entire existence.

If you want updates to be in a timely manner, how about you learn to code and fix it-oh? You don't want to? Then don't complain. Either learn and help, or just be kind and report bugs and be patient, those are your options. Getting mad at people that are trying to fix shit, just makes them want to drop it. There's a saying with my coding friends, when you fix one bug two more take its place. Coding isn't easy, stuff isn't just 'oh this will only take an hour, I just need the time for it' its 'i thought i could do this in 10 minutes but now its been 6 hours and its just more screwed up and I haven't slept and have to go to work still.'

No one willing and capable-you mean, besides the at least 5 people who have stepped up? Or did you mean like Rythal himself who has spent a few years keeping this addon on its feet with people like you throwing shit at him the whole time?
P.S. There are other addons that do what warehouse does, better imo.
Why don't you learn to code to keep it alive-oh you don't want to? Don't complain.

You mean, the original addon that wouldn't run if you tried to install it now? That addon?

EXCUSE ME? "If nothing else"? WHAT the hell is wrong with you. If you want a super-guru to fix this, find one and pay the-oh you don't want to? Don't expect people to just appear from thin air to fix an addon. Put forth the effort yourself or wait and be patient. I will give you all the broken stuff, this addon isn't perfect, but its working, which is more than we'd have if Rythal didn't step up to the plate, and I have been more than willing to wait for all the broken shit to be fixed, but that was minor to the addon as a whole working. I can find other addons to do that stuff in the meanwhile, there's only thousands of them out there!

You mean, the exact opposite of yourself? Someone more like Rythal, perhaps? A kind-hearted person that took up the mantle to try and fix this, instead of fixing it and keeping the fixes for himself, so he didn't have to troubleshoot issues he wasn't having? What the hell about Rythal isn't ethical? LOL You are a riot my good sir. He did have joy in fixing this addon for other people, until it became nothing but work, until people like you were bitching about everything he wasn't doing.

You claim your issue is lack of communication but he's been communicating. Do you want him to outline every line of code he's changed and why? Would that be enough communication? He's been saying things like "I fixed this, tried to fix that, and didn't get started on that." and tackled issues he wasn't having, trying to find out what was wrong when many people were having issues that made the game almost unplayable. I'm sorry it wasn't "I fixed everything guys! Will push the update to curse when I wake up, I'm dead tired and can't think!" which is clearly what you wanted from him. You've long since crossed the line of trying to be helpful pointing out things that might've fallen through the cracks, into being entitled to fixes to what you want, when you want.

TL;DR Stop being so entitled and either learn to code and help, or sit back and be patient and polite.

(Sorry this is pretty long, wanted to type and was a bit mad, did it in the background of a dungeon.)

P.S. Rythal, thank you so much for all your hard work, I'm glad you've stepped down to take care of yourself and have fun again, you deserve it. I hope you enjoy Legion! Don't let people like this dude make you feel bad. I'm so grateful you got this back on its feet, and you were right there when legion dropped as well, with an addon that was working!
10-07-16, 06:13 AM   #16
powerstrk
A Murloc Raider
Rythal,
With a little delay, I wish you the best for the future.
Big thanks for all the development and so > "more and more" work that you performed in order to maintain Carbonite during these last years.
It's was a big challenge.

As anecdote, I remember the difficulty trying to pass Carbonite in gpl license, it was not esay to get the source code,
property of "Carbon Based Creations" at that time.

Carbonite still exists today... The merit goes greatly to you !

So now, what can we do ? it's life, trying to move forward !

Carbonite is a fairly comprehensive software but also very complex, no ?
Furthermore, it takes a lot of time and strong knowledges in programming languages and scripting, you must know the API Blizzard also.

I think it's a too heavy work for a single debugger / scripter ???

maintaining this software requires to find selfless volunteers who have the knowledge required to give help.

I unfortunately do not have the programming skills
just following the debuggers / scripters for translations into French if needed, i can't do more !

Must be a big fan of WoW game with a big heart to spend all that time on the computer
in community service to try operate at best this add-on

Just Think about it before criticizing those working trying to improve Carbonite

So... again, Big Thanks we hope to see you soon for news.

cordially.
10-07-16, 01:04 PM   #17
Elwe Ewing
A Murloc Raider

Ehy ehy ehy... don't bash a dwarf as him behaves "a little" rude, as dwarves usually are.

@Kreelor: I think I know your feelings, seeing Carbonite isn't updated into Curse, as they was mine also, months ago.

Just remember two things:

1) all addons are made by source, nothing is "compiled" or "worked on" in any other way: so, to update them, it's just a matter of "copy the files".
A little more detailed:
(a) make a backup of the old Carbonite addon (I mean compressing WoW(* see below) > addons > Carbonite(s) folders into a zip archive, just to make it possible to restore it, if something fails),
(b) download the last (stable) update from HERE (the "source code (zip)" link, if you're not running with linux/unix),
(c) unpack the downloaded zip into a temporary folder,
(d) delete the existing (old) addons > Carbonite folders (I mean Carbonite, Carbonite.info, ..., Carbonite.weekly ones), and
(e) copy the unpacked folders (only Carbonite, Carbonite.info, ..., Carbonite.weekly ones, not the "master" (container) folder you'll find after unzipping) into WoW's addons' folder...
...and voilą, les jeuxs son fait: start WoW and look into AddOns to find "Carbonite". If it happens, chances are the update was succesful.

2) the ones writing here are PROGRAMMERS: guys used to "make it all by hands", mostly not using "updaters" or such things... and expecting others doing the same.

All apart: I'm seeing movement, here, Rythal striving to pass the most part of the work to volunteers, the community (and we all have to thank him for the BIG WORK on this "critical addon", really), others asking him to "complete the release loop" (to the community), so that updates could be done (easily) from Curse, WoWInterface, etc.... I'm seeing LIFE in this project and, considering Carbonite really a "critical" addon, I'm quite relaxed, now, thinking it won't be left back, the same as we'll still have Rythal looking over it.
(I remember the first time (in my memory) Carbonite broke: it seemed to me to feel the big "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" screamed out by the whole WoW's community... that was scaring, guys )

If we need to manually update it, now, that's why, and it seems not that "wrong" or "hard" to me, 'till they can update on Curse, it's just to try: if you'll fail, WoW's client gives you the chance to de-select the failing addon, so to have the client working anyway: nothing to be scared of.
Just retry, or restore the old one you backed up with zip.

I encourage you to (manually) update, right before the community will manage to update it on Curse: Rythal and the others fixed A LOT of things was making it nearly unusable: I'm using it into Broken Isles and, even if it's not yet perfect (some glitches about randomly poiting to quests' enders), it's at least "usable": I mean, the maps are still FAR better than Blizzard ones.

An elf

(*) to find where WoW's addons are, just start Battle.net's client, click the Options dropdown menu, select the "reveal in finder" (I'm using a Mac, not sure the writing it's the same on Windows, but it may be similar): that should open an Explorer with the "World of Warcraft" folder selected: follow the Interface > AddOns and you'll find all you've installed.

P.S.
71 seems not that much ages, for a dwarf
Like 51 it's not that much ages for an elf

Last edited by Elwe Ewing : 10-07-16 at 01:52 PM. Reason: details
10-07-16, 04:22 PM   #18
MadMisha
An Aku'mai Servant

do you ever shut up, your just an annoying troll

10-07-16, 07:02 PM   #19
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I will be in #carbonite on freenode.net for anyone who wishes to discuss. I wanted to set a time, but most wanted the weekend for better availability but since in Canada it's thanksgiving the weekend would not of worked for me.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: General Discussion » READ THIS: The future of Carbonite